Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Taking the plunge - gonna try a self-install  (Read 1863 times)
Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« on: September 05, 2021, 04:06:15 PM »

Been mulling this over for a while, and I've decided to take my involvement in this hobby to the next level...I ordered an Aeon LE v4, along with a bunch of components from TCSS, and I'm gonna try my luck at installing the electronics myself.  Already bought all the soldering hardware, did some practice, and I'm feeling comfortable and ambitious enough to see how this goes.  It'll either be a magnificent victory or a glorious disaster, LOL, but either way, I've gotta try it.

Stay tuned...

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 02:12:40 AM »

Nice. I actually have a pre-wired deep red led from them waiting to be put into something, I'm never comfortable with doing soldering stuff so x.x Should be fun though for you once you actually get into it Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 06:32:31 PM »

Been mulling this over for a while, and I've decided to take my involvement in this hobby to the next level...I ordered an Aeon LE v4, along with a bunch of components from TCSS, and I'm gonna try my luck at installing the electronics myself.  Already bought all the soldering hardware, did some practice, and I'm feeling comfortable and ambitious enough to see how this goes.  It'll either be a magnificent victory or a glorious disaster, LOL, but either way, I've gotta try it.

Stay tuned...
This is great to hear!  i recently completed by custom build (video to come soon) and i learned many things - some early and some late.

What made you choose the Aeon for your build?
Are you going with an LED pad/Module (in hilt) or LED string (in blade)?
What sound module are you planning to use?
Single switch or two+?

may the force be with you on this journey  Grin

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 12:34:23 AM »

This is great to hear!  i recently completed by custom build (video to come soon) and i learned many things - some early and some late.

What made you choose the Aeon for your build?
Are you going with an LED pad/Module (in hilt) or LED string (in blade)?
What sound module are you planning to use?
Single switch or two+?

may the force be with you on this journey  Grin

Since this is my first time, I didn't want to take apart one of my stunt sabers for a conversion, so I went with a new empty hilt instead, and the Aeon, to me, is one of the better looking low cost hilts.  I'm gonna put in an RGB in-hilt LED, one switch, with the Verso soundboard; I've done a fair amount of research and the Verso is considered a user-friendly board for first-timers - eventuallyI may end up trying other boards.  My ultimate goal is to get good enough to order empty hilts and do the installs myself, and save some money.  Just for myself, I'm not looking to make money off of this, at least for now.

For what it's worth, the more research I did, I wasn't intimidated, but I actually wanted to learn more, so that tells me that this may end up being a good thing.  I just need to shut up and dance, LOL.

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
Shock - Consular Green

FAMILY SABERS:
Savior - Violet Amethyst

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 01:30:45 PM »

Since this is my first time, I didn't want to take apart one of my stunt sabers for a conversion, so I went with a new empty hilt instead, and the Aeon, to me, is one of the better looking low cost hilts.  I'm gonna put in an RGB in-hilt LED, one switch, with the Verso soundboard; I've done a fair amount of research and the Verso is considered a user-friendly board for first-timers - eventually I may end up trying other boards.  My ultimate goal is to get good enough to order empty hilts and do the installs myself, and save some money.  Just for myself, I'm not looking to make money off of this, at least for now.

For what it's worth, the more research I did, I wasn't intimidated, but I actually wanted to learn more, so that tells me that this may end up being a good thing.  I just need to shut up and dance, LOL.
nice choice! i like that the Aeon LE V4 is one of the few hilts with the switch close the emitter (not in the middle of the hilt).  My knowledge of sound boards is limited but i learned that size of bit and solder makes a difference.
Go small on both where possible or get a few size options of each.  Also, lead-free solder was not a good experience for me so i recommend to avoid that.  It was a while since i last soldered and even then, i found out now, i was doing it inefficiently.
take your time and do not rush but i hope we get to see some pictures soon.

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 11:31:24 AM »

nice choice! i like that the Aeon LE V4 is one of the few hilts with the switch close the emitter (not in the middle of the hilt).  My knowledge of sound boards is limited but i learned that size of bit and solder makes a difference.
Go small on both where possible or get a few size options of each.  Also, lead-free solder was not a good experience for me so i recommend to avoid that.  It was a while since i last soldered and even then, i found out now, i was doing it inefficiently.
take your time and do not rush but i hope we get to see some pictures soon.

Yeah, I initially practiced with lead-free, it didn't go well, LOL.  Once I switched to leaded, it was much better.

All the components I ordered are either in transit or they're already here.  Just waiting on the hilt itself.

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
Shock - Consular Green

FAMILY SABERS:
Savior - Violet Amethyst

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 02:35:16 PM »

Yeah, I initially practiced with lead-free, it didn't go well, LOL.  Once I switched to leaded, it was much better.

All the components I ordered are either in transit or they're already here.  Just waiting on the hilt itself.
Good idea to practice first so you can get a feel for the materials and process.
Glad to hear you are getting all the parts.
In case this helps you - i used JST connectors for all my wiring to the board - this allowed me to do all the wiring to the board and components separately then attach everything later.
It will also allow me to swap out components much easier if the need arises.  Using connectors increases the space requirements in the hilt so keep that in mind if going this route. 
Also, silicon insulated wires are much more flexible for "packing into the tube" - otherwise, a short blast from the heat gun helps the pliability.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 04:00:40 AM »

Way to go. The board you chose is indeed easy to install and is already set up to go with Cree RGB LRDs TCSS sells so your setup will even be easy. I have put one into a saber before and it performs nicely. Hopefully you already went through the manual for it and know you will only need one 1 ohm resistor with the common single cell setup. I didn't and had to either order a 1ohm resistor and wait or use two of the half ohm resistors I already had in parallel to each other.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 11:11:55 PM »

Lots of luck!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 02:21:35 PM »

Been over the wiring diagram multiple times, got all the tools and components, just waiting on the hilt itself.   Gotta give some love to Custom Saber Shop for this one!

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
Shock - Consular Green

FAMILY SABERS:
Savior - Violet Amethyst

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 09:18:33 PM »

Been over the wiring diagram multiple times, got all the tools and components, just waiting on the hilt itself.   Gotta give some love to Custom Saber Shop for this one!
well?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: