Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: UltarPixel Dominix V4  (Read 981 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« on: October 03, 2021, 10:50:38 AM »

I'm really surprised there aren't already some reviews up for these, given that it's UltraSabers' latest thing. I bought one almost immediately after Emory announced them, but I did have to wait a few days for payday, so I'm sure other people have gotten them too. The wait time was between 3 and 4 weeks, which isn't bad. Also, with the 20% off sale and reward points I had, I got this at a really good price.

I don't particularly care for doing videos, but some stuff just doesn't translate well into pics.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVcC28blhR0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVcC28blhR0</a>

Things not covered in the video but that people will no doubt be curious about:

*As expected with this tech, the battery life isn't anywhere near as long as a regular setup, even with the higher capacity 18650. (don't ask me specific times)
*Aside from the added function of the lockup clash Emory mentioned, the rest of the settings in the app are the same ones as the previous Obsidian.
*The blade is heavier, as expected due to the LEDs, similar weight to having a heavy grade blade.

Also, as soon as I hooked it up to the launcher, there was a firmware update for the board, so anyone buying one of these should hook it up immediately and install that update.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 05:39:51 PM »

Nice review! 

Have you tried dueling (or beating something) with it, to test for durability?  That’s the original complaint/caveat that was being given when pixel blades first came out— that their durability was suspect at best, and lousy at worst, so they were good for cosplay and “theater,” but not useful at all for dueling.  I have since heard that unless you have the earliest generations of them, they are fine for at least LIGHT (pun intended) dueling, but might not be well-suited for heavy dueling.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 06:28:39 PM »

Nice. I do like that then after all Tongue I can see a Liberator being a nice test saber for me too =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 10:25:41 PM »

Thanks a lot for looking and commenting, guys. Smiley

@Zren, I agree, this would be great in a Liberator. I bought one a while back is the only reason I didn't get one this time. If the Dark Liberator was in stock, I probably would have gone with that instead of the Dominix.

Nice review! 

Have you tried dueling (or beating something) with it, to test for durability?  That’s the original complaint/caveat that was being given when pixel blades first came out— that their durability was suspect at best, and lousy at worst, so they were good for cosplay and “theater,” but not useful at all for dueling.  I have since heard that unless you have the earliest generations of them, they are fine for at least LIGHT (pun intended) dueling, but might not be well-suited for heavy dueling.

No, I haven't tried hitting anything with it. However, I've accidentally hit the ceiling  few times with the tip doing that stab to change fonts and the tip seemed like it wanted to come off one of the times. I pushed it back in and it seems OK. I believe the blade itself is a medium grade, so in theory it should hold up to light contact.

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 01:40:07 AM »

Thanks for the review video!  points later - already pointed at you today.
The lockup feature is really cool! 
i like that you actually swing the damn thing so we can hear the sound - nice work to them on that as well - it sounds much more responsive then the original tech.
the battery life will be much less since it is lighting all those LEDs instead of 3-4.
you should be able to secure the tip with some acrylic glue - superglue could make it cloudy.

nice work on the video!

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 01:54:20 AM »

Thanks nunya, have a point back. Smiley

Yeah, the battery life is maybe an hour and I bought the higher capacity battery. But, that's really to be expected with the string blade. At least it's a removable battery. That way one could take extra batteries to a con or other event to last all day.

The swing detection has definitely been improved with the new board. Of course, you can still customize it in the software. It's definitely better than my Shock with the V3 that I also activated in the video. I barely move that and it detects a swing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: