Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Custom Made Belt  (Read 1973 times)
nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« on: October 23, 2021, 10:06:47 PM »

i was looking for a belt upgrade and all i found was too expensive, plastic-leather, or not available.  therefore, i made one myself.
Overall, it was pretty easy (about 2 hours total effort) and mid-price (80 USD).  The price seems high but now i have enough components and tools to build 7 more belts.  Only new cost would be the leather straps (about 30 USD).
Here are some photos with few lessons learned:

main strap as it came

distressed sample on main remnant as it came

main strap as it came                          main strap distressed in sunlight                    main strap distressed in task lighting

top straps before distressing                                                  top straps before and after distressing                distressed top straps

final product full shot          final product closure shot

final product worn

Start with a premium quality leather (top grain or better) - do not use "guaranteed" or anything like that - do your research.
the distressing process was to mist rubbing alcohol (70% solution) directly onto the leather and immediately crush, fold, roll, stretch, squeeze for about 5-10 minutes per section or until it looked good. 
Do not soak the leather in alcohol.  Start with a little and add more if needed.  Use a test piece to find your sweet spot.

The distressing process will stretch the leather so it is a bit longer than when you started (see before and after pics above).  i recommend to make all length cuts first anyway because the ends are difficult to get distressed just right (especially on the top straps).  You can remove the ends when making the length correct again.

The "buckle" was the most difficult piece to find.  Taken from another belt and used for this project.

Closure will be with 3x1.5mm suede thread.  i considered eye hook closure but the leather is 4mm thick and i was trying to keep costs down (i do not have the tools to do sewing properly).  Threaded closure will allow me to lengthen the belt after too consuming too many food capsules.

Parts list to follow soon.

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 12:26:06 AM »

Parts:
Leather Straps 9/10 oz Thickness by Sepici Leather (Black, 2-1/4") 60" Long
Leather Straps 9/10 oz Thickness by Sepici Leather (Black, 3/4") 60" Long
Gun Metal Chicago Binding Screws Assorted Kit (10mm used in my build)
Various Chicago Screws Round Head Button Stud Slotted Screws Kit (8mm used in my build)
3x1.5mm Black Suede cord
Buckle of choice
70% rubbing alcohol in spray bottle
gloves (the leather dye will transfer to your hands)

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 02:44:27 AM »

Nice. I'd also like to see you attempt an OT style kind of belt design =] (Old Ben Kenobi, Luke)

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 07:05:31 PM »

one of the first buckles i saw was this wonderful unpolished brass which would work great for OT Obi-Wan but not for this project.
Other than the sewing to attach the buckle, the OT belts would be a little easier.  i was only able to find one great picture of the OT Obi-Wan belt.  i did not look for Luke yet but suspect that is all over the place.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »

Good job. Nice buckle choice.

Some general tips for anybody leatherworking SW belts:

There's a tool for shaving the edge, and then a slicker to smooth it. That'll clean up the fuzzy edge I see in the final photo.

I use 8 Sam Browne studs on my belts, shows a bit more hardware in photos than the 2 you used. Those are the round headed studs that have a screw-in from the back. Sometimes referred to as Chicago screws. It's $20 per bag of 10 Sam Brownes, though, so it adds up...

You can use 2 more Sam Brownes for the fastener. Put them on one end, then punch a series of holes on the other like belt buckle holes. I did that on my wife's belt.

Another option is to make strapping and buckle pairing on those ends. I use Post Screws (flat head on the top, looks like what Nunya used to anchor his over-belt to the wider underbelt). That lets me connect the fastener straps to the main belt.  I used nylon strap on my belt.

To finish it off, the rear fastener is hidden on screen by a sleeve that slides over that assembly.  You may have to sew, but it could be riveted or even use small post screws. I recommend a reasonably stiff, but not too stiff grade of leather so it holds it's shape and slides more easily.  I erred too soft on mine and it's a PITA to slide into position after buckling.

Like Nunya said, these are quick to make.  I spend about a day each on mine, including trip to Tandy Leather for materials.

They are a good beginner project. You punch holes, cut with a razer/exacto knife. Maybe stain. The screw-type assembly is easy (as opposed to rivets). If you have one of them pleather belts, you can keep all the hardware and replace it with leather. It'll last your lifetime, unlike the plastic.

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 10:43:58 PM »

Good job. Nice buckle choice.
thanks!
Some general tips for anybody leatherworking SW belts:

There's a tool for shaving the edge, and then a slicker to smooth it. That'll clean up the fuzzy edge I see in the final photo.
good tip here - admittedly i rushed the cut and even cleaned it a bit more with some TLC and a sharp xacto Smiley 
i altered my original plan (Pray that i don't alter any it further) to taper top and bottom so the size difference would be less noticeable (shallower angle on top and bottom). 
i can hide the defect a little more by flipping the belt and only the ewoks will notice.  side thought - should the plural of ewok also be ewok?
a round/head knife would have been great for this cut but would have added cost.

I use 8 Sam Browne studs on my belts, shows a bit more hardware in photos than the 2 you used. Those are the round headed studs that have a screw-in from the back. Sometimes referred to as Chicago screws. It's $20 per bag of 10 Sam Brownes, though, so it adds up...

You can use 2 more Sam Brownes for the fastener. Put them on one end, then punch a series of holes on the other like belt buckle holes. I did that on my wife's belt.
Another good one - i considered the Sam Brownes (first i came across, actually) but found the variety pack and went with that option.
i like the idea of using a smaller-sized button head stud to fasten - did not consider that even though my pouch closures use exactly this approach.  i really wanted to avoid overlaps as seen in all the current offerings on the market (hence requiring that sleeve).

Another option is to make strapping and buckle pairing on those ends. I use Post Screws (flat head on the top, looks like what Nunya used to anchor his over-belt to the wider underbelt). That lets me connect the fastener straps to the main belt.  I used nylon strap on my belt.
maybe i understand what you mean - do you have a picture?  this gives me the idea of putting a slightly longer flat head stud on both ends, having the thread tied-off on one end and looping around to hold closed.  hmmmm....

To finish it off, the rear fastener is hidden on screen by a sleeve that slides over that assembly.  You may have to sew, but it could be riveted or even use small post screws. I recommend a reasonably stiff, but not too stiff grade of leather so it holds it's shape and slides more easily.  I erred too soft on mine and it's a PITA to slide into position after buckling.
the leather i chose has a nice grippy suede back so it also does not slide on linen at all - i love this feature.

Like Nunya said, these are quick to make.  I spend about a day each on mine, including trip to Tandy Leather for materials.

They are a good beginner project. You punch holes, cut with a razer/exacto knife. Maybe stain. The screw-type assembly is easy (as opposed to rivets). If you have one of them pleather belts, you can keep all the hardware and replace it with leather. It'll last your lifetime, unlike the plastic.
for sure a good easy project - not too many tools/work/money required.  This can be done with existing pleather belts as well - except the distressing...that will not work.
great feedback!

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 12:47:08 PM »

I'll see if I can shoot some pics this weekend. Specifically of the 2 back fastener options I've made.

Somewhere in here is a pic of the wife's belt, but that focuses on the front...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: