Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Saber reveiw  (Read 3788 times)
TherealFlintlock
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

Force sensitive pirate.

« on: November 02, 2021, 04:07:34 PM »

bought an Ultrasaber a month ago or so.

The hilt quality is pretty good, everything seems solid on the hilt itself but I'm a little disappointed with a few things.

The problem I have is the price compared to what I received. I bought the a neopixel with V4 obsidian and charging port. This set me back $500 with shipping. No problem, you get what you pay for.
Except the chassis is cracked.. there is no smoothwing... what??

I have a neopixel saber I have bought from a mass producing company in asia that has smoothswing, and that cost only $100. Comes with charging port, neo blade, everything.

The saber I bought sounds like a louder version of those rubbish build-a-saber ones you got from disneyland like ten years ago, why is this?
I actually still prefer my mass produced saber, it sounds much better and more realistic.

It's also really wide in the hands, feels like I'm holding the business end of a baseball bat...

Hopefully this will be changed in the future, I love the designs, but I don't think I got what I paid for...

I'm only in it for the lightsabers.

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 06:19:26 PM »

bought an Ultrasaber a month ago or so.

The hilt quality is pretty good, everything seems solid on the hilt itself but I'm a little disappointed with a few things.

The problem I have is the price compared to what I received. I bought the a neopixel with V4 obsidian and charging port. This set me back $500 with shipping. No problem, you get what you pay for.
Except the chassis is cracked.. there is no smoothwing... what??

I have a neopixel saber I have bought from a mass producing company in asia that has smoothswing, and that cost only $100. Comes with charging port, neo blade, everything.

The saber I bought sounds like a louder version of those rubbish build-a-saber ones you got from disneyland like ten years ago, why is this?
I actually still prefer my mass produced saber, it sounds much better and more realistic.

It's also really wide in the hands, feels like I'm holding the business end of a baseball bat...

Hopefully this will be changed in the future, I love the designs, but I don't think I got what I paid for...

it is good to see a diversity of reviews - thank you for yours.
lack of smooth swing is a bummer for sure Sad  i really thought they fixed that detail on the latest release - too bad.

Those other sellers have better tech but (obviously, in my opinion) subpar hilts - unless you pay more.  UltraSabers seems to have great hilt options at better price point.
i was going to suggest swapping the innards from one saber to the other.  This does not address the expense you put into getting the UltraSabers tech and presupposes you at least like the hilt.   based on the final comment, it seems that is not the case.

What hilt did you purchase?  i am wondering why it is so large.  i have electrum wind with chamfered grip and its wide but not like the head of a baseball bat.

TherealFlintlock
Force Sensitive

Force sensitive pirate.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 07:20:06 PM »

Probably a mild exaggeration on the hilt size, I was comparing it to my mass produced sabers hilt, as well as my dom v2s I have plenty of.
It feels an awful lot bigger.

And the hilts on the mass produced ones are not bad at all, not as fancy but still look good enough. And you can swap parts out (emitters, grips etc) and they are really cheap to get a hold of. (Not going to name drop due to forum rules.)

It just feels unwieldy and cumbersome compared to others on the market, and having it turn up with a cracked chassis as well as really clunky sounds just broke my heart for the amount I paid vs others that are way cheaper and in my opinion, much better. No offence to US.

Also, I find it odd that all reviews on here are very... biased, it seems? I get it, its an Ultrasabers forum, but to hear next to zero negative thoughts on even the smallest thing is bizarre to read...

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 07:46:56 PM »

Probably a mild exaggeration on the hilt size, I was comparing it to my mass produced sabers hilt, as well as my dom v2s I have plenty of.
It feels an awful lot bigger.

And the hilts on the mass produced ones are not bad at all, not as fancy but still look good enough. And you can swap parts out (emitters, grips etc) and they are really cheap to get a hold of. (Not going to name drop due to forum rules.)

It just feels unwieldy and cumbersome compared to others on the market, and having it turn up with a cracked chassis as well as really clunky sounds just broke my heart for the amount I paid vs others that are way cheaper and in my opinion, much better. No offence to US.

Also, I find it odd that all reviews on here are very... biased, it seems? I get it, its an Ultrasabers forum, but to hear next to zero negative thoughts on even the smallest thing is bizarre to read...

Well, in my opinion, polite bad reviews should stay on. But I'm no admin or mod here. So... They do what they want.
Some poorly worded bad reviews pop from time to time. But don't stay long.
Mostly, electronics are a personnal preference.
I have a less expensive hilt with smoothswing. And I kinda feel it's not as satisfying when you swing. Seems to always make the same sound no matter what I do. Until I hit something of course.
As for hilt sizes, I have really small hands. Like really small. And I enjoy all the hilts I got from US. Sure, they aren't size accurate nor screen accurate enough on some hilts, but I like them anyway.

Getting a cracked chassis is a let down though. For sure. If you're in the US I believe they have a warranty you can use. What saber did you get?

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

TherealFlintlock
Force Sensitive

Force sensitive pirate.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 08:00:16 PM »

I bought a sentinel.

Wait, are you saying that some mods on here delete bad reviews? I mean I get it if they are rude of course, but fair ones should stay at least?

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 08:36:50 PM »

I bought a sentinel.

Wait, are you saying that some mods on here delete bad reviews? I mean I get it if they are rude of course, but fair ones should stay at least?

When someone has a problem with their ultrasaber they may leave a "bad review".  Like say they receive a saber with a broken chassis or don't like the clunky sounds.  Well the broken chassis sucks but is not something ultrasabers offers as a feature.  So not a review of Ultrasabers but a review of your individual saber. The clunky sounds are your opinion (mine too) and not really a criticism others will agree with.  
 Your chassis is covered by warranty if your saber is within a year of purchase. The sounds can be changed. Some sabers are bigger than other. Some people are bigger than others and appreciate a combat saber that can be used for training.
 So basically if the tone of the review is negative just to be negative, it will probably get removed. If your review is negative but states legit problems like the led is malfunctioning on day two,  someone will probably help you get the problem fixed and then the review will disappear. Ultrasabers doesn't offer malfunctioning leds as a feature.
 It's all about your point of view. If you're happy with your purchase but have some problems with your saber, your review will probably stay up. If you are unhappy and leave a negative review, it will probably get taken down while they try to address your problems. I assume they do this with the hope that your review will change any ways once your saber problems are fixed. They are a business after all and they want happy customers.

The other thing that you will notice after a little time on the forum is, sometimes random posts of just pure negativity will pop up. Just angry posts about ultrasabers and venom towards anyone that responds to them. I assume it's employee of the "other guys". Posting here to earn their pay checks because they are not selling sabers! So slightly negative reviews are heavily scrutinized.

I'm not a mod or anything. These are just my observations after being on the forum for 4 years.
 If you don't like the sounds on your saber and want a bunch of sound files, check the link in my signature bar.

TherealFlintlock
Force Sensitive

Force sensitive pirate.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 09:07:04 PM »

Really? I find it hard to believe that other sabersmiths pop in here just to do that, and they would have to be very petty and childish.
Also (and I'm being honest here, really) most sabersmiths have soundboard in their sabers that can do more than the obsidian. As a result, I doubt they don't sell. The board in my budget saber can do more.

Don't get me wrong, the sabers from US are beautiful and fantastically battle worthy. But I really think they are too expensive for what they offer.

As for US fixing my saber, it's only a crack that was easily fixed with tape. The sounds however, are honestly no better than a toy I got in Disney- and I don't mean the fonts. I mean the swings don't match me swinging it. It's obviously just a few preset swings that play in a loop, rather than react properly to the movement of the saber - its basically the fact that the soundboard just isn't as good quality as most others.

Note: I'm not looking to get this discussion deleted or get banned, I'm not leaving a bad reveiw for the sake of trouble - I just think that some issues about price vs features need addressing.

But for now, for a sound saber, I'll stick to some others that are not ultrasabers. For duelling, I'd recommend an Ultrasabers stunt to anyone.

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 09:18:33 PM »

Yes it happens. Childish and petty are exactly how I describe it too!

I'm biased anyway. No one else makes anything like a diamond saber! I wouldn't trade my diamond saber for a pixel blade or smooth swing ever. I would go for a diamond saber with pixel blade though.

You can change the swing sensitivity through the ultrasaber editing program. FYI

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 09:20:59 PM »

When someone has a problem with their ultrasaber they may leave a "bad review".  Like say they receive a saber with a broken chassis or don't like the clunky sounds.  Well the broken chassis sucks but is not something ultrasabers offers as a feature.  So not a review of Ultrasabers but a review of your individual saber. The clunky sounds are your opinion (mine too) and not really a criticism others will agree with.  
 Your chassis is covered by warranty if your saber is within a year of purchase. The sounds can be changed. Some sabers are bigger than other. Some people are bigger than others and appreciate a combat saber that can be used for training.
 So basically if the tone of the review is negative just to be negative, it will probably get removed. If your review is negative but states legit problems like the led is malfunctioning on day two,  someone will probably help you get the problem fixed and then the review will disappear. Ultrasabers doesn't offer malfunctioning leds as a feature.
 It's all about your point of view. If you're happy with your purchase but have some problems with your saber, your review will probably stay up. If you are unhappy and leave a negative review, it will probably get taken down while they try to address your problems. I assume they do this with the hope that your review will change any ways once your saber problems are fixed. They are a business after all and they want happy customers.

The other thing that you will notice after a little time on the forum is, sometimes random posts of just pure negativity will pop up. Just angry posts about ultrasabers and venom towards anyone that responds to them. I assume it's employee of the "other guys". Posting here to earn their pay checks because they are not selling sabers! So slightly negative reviews are heavily scrutinized.

I'm not a mod or anything. These are just my observations after being on the forum for 4 years.
 If you don't like the sounds on your saber and want a bunch of sound files, check the link in my signature bar.
i appreciate the nod to "from a certain point of view" but if my head is up my ass everything appears dark.

i have not noticed the removal of legitimate negative reviews which are in line with the forum rules but i disagree with this practice - even if the issue is being managed or has been resolved.  if it is happening then one-thousand times one-thousand shames on the perpetrators.

i also disagree with the logic that "we do not sell broken chassis so it is not a review of UltraSabers"...uh, yeah it is.  Your point holds when, for example, someone says "target sucks because this hair tonic made me bald".  Well, target is only the distributor not the owner of that product nor did they assemble it.  Quality Assurance (and lack of) is part of the service provided by a manufacturer.  Same for the clunky sounds - that comes packaged with the product, therefore, a legitimate complaint.  However, it can be mitigated with the software which is also offered by the company and subject to its own review.

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 09:26:23 PM »

Yes it happens. Childish and petty are exactly how I describe it too!

I'm biased anyway. No one else makes anything like a diamond saber! I wouldn't trade my diamond saber for a pixel blade or smooth swing ever. I would go for a diamond saber with pixel blade though.

You can change the swing sensitivity through the ultrasaber editing program. FYI
what settings do you start with?  i tried and never found the sweet spot.

TherealFlintlock
Force Sensitive

Force sensitive pirate.

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 09:29:24 PM »

That's fair, no hate on you for loving your saber!  I was in love when I got my first stunt, couldn't put it down.

My point is that I was expecting much, much more from the saber for the amount I paid, I can't explain  how disappointed I was when it did far less than the one I paid less than a third of the price for. It felt like a substantial waste of money that I had been saving up for.

And I adjusted the swings as best as I could. It still does not compare to my very cheap saber that has smoothswing. Again, all my opinion.

I really don't think the obsidian soundboard is worth the money. The hilts are for sure on their own with no electronics, but considering that some reputable places now sell sabers with similar sound capabilities to obsidian less than it cost for a stunt grab bag from US, even the stunts on here aren't really worth buying anymore..

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 10:01:04 PM »

but if my head is up my ass everything appears dark.

...I don't like the implication.

Key words "legitimate negative reviews".  I have only seen BS reviews removed. I was surmising about any others that may have been removed.
 My opinion about review removals is similar to yours but this is not my forum. I have no power here and my opinion means nothing.

I don't own any obsidian sabers anymore so I can't help you find the sweet spot. I got my first diamond saber then sold all my others to buy more diamond sabers. I have never looked back.

Sometimes a swing sound file is longer then it needs to be. A half second of empty space before the sound actually plays. The half second of no sound playing then translates to a half second delay between movement and sound. That can not be fixed through the sensitivity settings. In this scenario you would have to edit the actual sound file. Clip off that half a second. No more delay between sound and movement.

I'm not going to lie. When I got my first diamond saber I was super disappointed. "This is all it does?" I had buyers remorse for about a week. Then I taught myself how to use the program and change everything.  I now own 7 diamond sabers to hold all the fonts I've made. Making your own sound fonts is the way to go! If you don't like the sounds on your saber make your own!

This is why I linger on this forum! I remember how underwhelmed I was. I remember how happy I was when I finally figured out how to use of the features my saber has. I don't like the idea of other people being disappointed with their new saber. I linger so I can help other people figure it out too.
 Ultrasabers are great if you use the program and the boards to their full potential.  Right out of the box they need a little customizing in my opinion.

Also,  targets hair tonic?  The damage could have happened during shipping.

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 10:41:58 PM »

...I don't like the implication.
Grin
i should have made it clear that my reply was to the oft-quoted Obi-Wan line on how to get away with a lie - it is one i use when people quote it to me (and one i would expect to hear when i use it). 
It was not meant toward you in any form and i thank you for pointing out my mistake.  Kiss

Key words "legitimate negative reviews".  I have only seen BS reviews removed. I was surmising about any others that may have been removed.
 My opinion about review removals is similar to yours but this is not my forum. I have no power here and my opinion means nothing.

I don't own any obsidian sabers anymore so I can't help you find the sweet spot. I got my first diamond saber then sold all my others to buy more diamond sabers. I have never looked back.

Sometimes a swing sound file is longer then it needs to be. A half second of empty space before the sound actually plays. The half second of no sound playing then translates to a half second delay between movement and sound. That can not be fixed through the sensitivity settings. In this scenario you would have to edit the actual sound file. Clip off that half a second. No more delay between sound and movement.

I'm not going to lie. When I got my first diamond saber I was super disappointed. "This is all it does?" I had buyers remorse for about a week. Then I taught myself how to use the program and change everything.  I now own 7 diamond sabers to hold all the fonts I've made. Making your own sound fonts is the way to go! If you don't like the sounds on your saber make your own!

This is why I linger on this forum! I remember how underwhelmed I was. I remember how happy I was when I finally figured out how to use of the features my saber has. I don't like the idea of other people being disappointed with their new saber. I linger so I can help other people figure it out too.
 Ultrasabers are great if you use the program and the boards to their full potential.  Right out of the box they need a little customizing in my opinion.
i have a diamond controller as well.  i will look at the sound file for the gap you mentioned.  Last time i tried the sensitivity adjustment, it would play a "hard swing" sound each time i barely moved my wrist and my patience was low that day so i stopped.  i will have to dedicate a day to working on this - maybe when all the bears are sleeping.

Also,  targets hair tonic?  The damage could have happened during shipping.
i do not see how shipping damage to a hair tonic bottle would make a person bald.  i can say my local carriers appear to f***g hate target, judging by the condition of the packages i have received.

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 10:47:33 PM »

That's fair, no hate on you for loving your saber!  I was in love when I got my first stunt, couldn't put it down.

My point is that I was expecting much, much more from the saber for the amount I paid, I can't explain  how disappointed I was when it did far less than the one I paid less than a third of the price for. It felt like a substantial waste of money that I had been saving up for.

And I adjusted the swings as best as I could. It still does not compare to my very cheap saber that has smoothswing. Again, all my opinion.

I really don't think the obsidian soundboard is worth the money. The hilts are for sure on their own with no electronics, but considering that some reputable places now sell sabers with similar sound capabilities to obsidian less than it cost for a stunt grab bag from US, even the stunts on here aren't really worth buying anymore..
Word. 
i have to configure my diamond to get closer to a smooth swing as KaiserSosay recommends because after swinging the cfx around like "f**k yeah" and i pick up the diamond and go "f...oh.."

TherealFlintlock
Force Sensitive

Force sensitive pirate.

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 10:48:42 PM »

You misunderstand.

The board in no way at all is able to even mildly replicate the smoothswing on my (again) very cheap mass produced saber, no matter how much I play with it or faff with the settings. It simply does not have the software and capability that the soundboard in my other saber does.

It comes down to the fact that the obsidian board, and even the emerald sabers, no matter how much anyone says otherwise, are simply outdated by quite a few years. It's a matter of fact. The proffie board is a few years old and has the capabilities. Asteria. Xenopixel. The list goes on- yet Ultrasabers insist, still, that their board is the best on the market, which is simply untrue when most other vendors have moved on to better hardware and software.
The simple and disappointing fact is that US are going to be left behind fast unless they do some serious R+D, or pay to get better boards. And that would suck for them and us, the fans.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: