Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Saber reveiw  (Read 3690 times)
KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 10:57:17 PM »

Grin
i should have made it clear that my reply was to the oft-quoted Obi-Wan line on how to get away with a lie - it is one i use when people quote it to me (and one i would expect to hear when i use it). 
It was not meant toward you in any form and i thank you for pointing out my mistake.  Kiss
i have a diamond controller as well.  i will look at the sound file for the gap you mentioned.  Last time i tried the sensitivity adjustment, it would play a "hard swing" sound each time i barely moved my wrist and my patience was low that day so i stopped.  i will have to dedicate a day to working on this - maybe when all the bears are sleeping.
i do not see how shipping damage to a hair tonic bottle would make a person bald.  i can say my local carriers appear to f***g hate target, judging by the condition of the packages i have received.

Sorry. I never sleep well and I'm overly cranky because of it. I wish I could blame being overly defensive on lack of sleep too.

The trick I learned about swing sounds and some clash sounds is that they are always small. I use Audacity to edit sound files. I mention that because people use different programs. In Audacity you can magnify the sound clip you are editing.  I have to magnify a swing sound several times before I see the gap at the beginning of the file. Then I magnify a few more times so I don't accidentally cut off the beginning of the swing sound itself during the edit.
 If you ever want help let me know. Sometimes it's just easier for me to do it for you, then to explain the process. Don't get me wrong though. I am totally willing to teach anybody what I know about making and editing sound fonts. You just have to ask!

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2021, 11:43:03 PM »

The sentinel is pretty slim for a US saber IMO.
As for the diamond... I failed to see what it does that other sabersmith do not offer on their basic sabers. Or even just a little higher end electronics.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2021, 12:00:07 AM »

As for the diamond... I failed to see what it does that other sabersmith do not offer on their basic sabers. Or even just a little higher end electronics.

I'm done responding to this "review" after this.

I am into diamond sabers. I am not an expert on everything offered by the other guys. Mainly because I don't care.

If you don't know what a diamond saber does I recommend reading up on it. There is lots of info on the ultrasabers website.
Basically though,  light and sound are both completely customizable with the ability to synchronize them. You can have your saber transition through every color in the rainbow while it plays your favorite song as the hum sound. If that's what you want. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.
 Also you get stab, spin, force, and 5 programmable gestures. So the saber reacts to whatever movement you program as the gestures. I'm probably forgetting a feature or 2. Diamond sabers are loads of fun.

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2021, 01:56:30 AM »

Sorry. I never sleep well and I'm overly cranky because of it. I wish I could blame being overly defensive on lack of sleep too.
you were completely in the right and justified to seek clarity.  You did so very passively as well.

The trick I learned about swing sounds and some clash sounds is that they are always small. I use Audacity to edit sound files. I mention that because people use different programs. In Audacity you can magnify the sound clip you are editing.  I have to magnify a swing sound several times before I see the gap at the beginning of the file. Then I magnify a few more times so I don't accidentally cut off the beginning of the swing sound itself during the edit.
 If you ever want help let me know. Sometimes it's just easier for me to do it for you, then to explain the process. Don't get me wrong though. I am totally willing to teach anybody what I know about making and editing sound fonts. You just have to ask!
i appreciate the pointers.  i use goldwave (purchased a while back) which is quite an amazing audio toolkit - it has zoom in/out as well.  i would have a learning curve on audacity but heard it mentioned several times.
i will direct message to get details on the sensitivity settings you have so i can hopefully save some time.

point for all that and more.

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 02:31:55 AM »

i think this discourse is great and warranted.  It may be the need for guidance on setting up configurations to get the desired effect is part of the complaint - and that is okay.
It also seems like we are talking about different controllers (i.e. obsidian vs diamond).  i came in only about 1.5 yrs back so all i know is diamond.  Perhaps the effect is not possible in this build and that is just an opportunity to educate.
i had to go look this up - agreed - i have the shorter version right here...feels great.  Anything slimmer is just uncivilized. ;-)
Look at the Graflex - that has some serious grip depth adding major overall width and that's canon.
i looked around again recently and they all have some additional features here and there (including UltraSabers) but i always come back to UltraSabers because hilt prices and selections are great.  also, customer service has never failed me.
Basically though,  light and sound are both completely customizable with the ability to synchronize them. You can have your saber transition through every color in the rainbow while it plays your favorite song as the hum sound. If that's what you want. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.
Also you get stab, spin, force, and 5 programmable gestures. So the saber reacts to whatever movement you program as the gestures. I'm probably forgetting a feature or 2. Diamond sabers are loads of fun.
great features!  i also like the "lockup release" (my words) in the new build - i have not seen that anywhere else.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 06:38:24 AM »

I am into diamond sabers. I am not an expert on everything offered by the other guys. Mainly because I don't care.

If you don't know what a diamond saber does I recommend reading up on it. There is lots of info on the ultrasabers website.
Yeah, but that's the thing. I got an otherguys saber with basic board. It switches colors on the fly, 9 sound fonts, can be changed on the fly as well. + 3 music (or 6 dont' remember, hate the feature) that can play over the saber sounds, etc. ALL WITH ONE BUTTON. Sure, basic can't be eddited, but the boards that allow it are still cheaper than US' diamond board.
With proffie and stuff, and neopixel sabers, people managed to do the green/blue flicker of Rey's saber when igniting.
So yeah. I won a diamond saber and it's not my thing, I'm not a fan of the changing stuff on the fly. BUT. People that love those things are better of buying empty hilts and adding other electronics.
Claiming to be the best electronics around is lying AFAIC. I, personnally do not care that much because I love US hilts. Well at least some of them. But if you own otherguys electronics (well there is a specific other guy that is doing despicable things with proprietary blades atm that sucks), or if it's a first saber and you believe them when you read best electronics, then you'll be disappointed. Is all.
I'd still reach out to customer services about the cracked chassis though.

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2021, 06:45:00 PM »

...the boards that allow it are still cheaper than US' diamond board.
maybe ultrasabers should switch to a manufacturer in China Cheesy
With proffie and stuff, and neopixel sabers, people managed to do the green/blue flicker of Rey's saber when igniting.
i am curious about that one - do you have a link to share for that? 
I'd still reach out to customer services about the cracked chassis though.
Word.  ^^^do this ^^^

TherealFlintlock
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

Force sensitive pirate.

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2021, 08:54:31 PM »

That's the thing... I can do all that with neopixel and smoothswing in one saber for less than a third of the price than US charge. On a board that is considered 'budget' by the saber community.
Spending the amount you do on here, I would expect the board to be as customisable as a proffie board, where you could have the saber and blade do almost anything you could dream of.

Want the saber to only ignite a third of the way of the blade with a swing, then each swing after will fill up the blade another portion until full? A Proffie can do that.

Want it to pulse only when swung?
Want to create your own boot effect that will flicker at the emitter before igniting all the way?
Want the blade only lit when still, and stay dark when swung?
Want the white leds in the blade to dance to mimic force lightning?
Want it to light from the top down to the emitter?
Want the lights in the led to dance to a soundtrack like a frigging sound wave?

Proffie can do all that. For the same price as the emerald.

Again, my point is only that US charge way too much for a board that has software that the majority of the saber community now consider obsolete!

I'm only in it for the lightsabers.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2021, 10:30:37 PM »

maybe ultrasabers should switch to a manufacturer in China :Di am curious about that one - do you have a link to share for that?  Word.  ^^^do this ^^^
I do =)
And yeah where it's made can have an impact on the price... Still. Electronic is a bit dated. Not that I really care though.

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2021, 05:16:15 PM »

Want it to pulse only when swung?
Want the blade only lit when still, and [go] dark when swung?
Want to create your own boot effect that will flicker at the emitter before igniting all the way?
These can be achieved with Diamond Controller (last one is a bit of a stretch but possible).
Want the saber to only ignite a third of the way of the blade with a swing, then each swing after will fill up the blade another portion until full? A Proffie can do that.
Want the white leds in the blade to dance to mimic force lightning?
Want it to light from the top down to the emitter?
Want the lights in the led to dance to a soundtrack like a frigging sound wave?
to be fair, these all require LED string blades which some people simply do not want/like.
Proffie can do all that. For the same price as the emerald.

Again, my point is only that US charge way too much for a board that has software that the majority of the saber community now consider obsolete!

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2021, 05:57:21 PM »

These can be achieved with Diamond Controller (last one is a bit of a stretch but possible).to be fair, these all require LED string blades which some people simply do not want/like.
eh If it can be done with a diamond controller, I might be interested. Though I'll have to get an accurate Rey sometime soon.

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

nunya
Knight Captain

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2021, 06:44:38 PM »

eh If it can be done with a diamond controller, I might be interested. Though I'll have to get an accurate Rey sometime soon.
this may be venturing into "wrong category" territory but...
the software/card allows the swing to have its own effect so one could make it "pulse" on swing by rapidly raising and lowering the color brightness in a loop.
going dark when swung is achieved by the same strategy - set the brightness to zero on all colors.
the boot effect would be done by adding a little flash (low intensity) of whatever color right before the full intensity from ignition.  i did something like this immediately following on "retraction" but it was set too long and too high intensity so resembled a fluorescent light when giving out. 

i have other projects going but will check on demonstrating these with the Diamond.

For me, blaster effects and smooth swing are the two things missing from Diamond which i "must have" from now on in my saber builds. (spoiled by charlie foxtrot xray)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: