Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Book of Boba Fett Thoughts  (Read 6813 times)
Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2022, 12:49:41 AM »

There’s a reason for all this - my understanding is this was done extremely impromptu because Pedro Pascal didn’t have enough appearances left on his contract for a full season 3 and was threatening to walk over the helmet thing so they threw this together very quickly (by LucasFilm development standards) to give them more time to negotiate and figure out that situation.  And I think it definitely shows.

That would explain a lot, but in my opinion is all the more damning. Given the resources Disney possess, arguably more financial and human than any other studio in the world there is no excuse for producing sub par content...and for me content was all this was,

There was about 3 episodes of genuine Boba content stretched into 5 plus 2 Mandalorian episodes.

I can understand why people enjoyed it, I liked the idea of being a born again tusken but felt more of a wresle with his murderous past via flashback would've helped, and having tuskens help him in the skirmish at the end would've been far cooler and conclusive to that arc.

Temura Morrison is a great actor but I feel like he wasn't used to the full. Ming Na Wen carried a lot of scenes I thought for him (e.g. in the palace and mos espa), and once Pedro showed up Boba played second fiddle even more. I think he really needs a series put of yhe Mandalorian shadow.

Personally i don't find guest appearances of other characters an especially endearing feature in any show so was utterly indifferent to Cad etc. Showing up. Cynical I may be, but it felt a bit forced an unfair to people not up on comics and clone wars all things that could've been fixed with 5 minutes of flash backs to flesh them out for the casual star wars fan. Maybe the Mando episodes stole that time?

Anyway I just hope they can return to form with Obi Wan and take the time and care to craft it properly like Mando 1 and 2 were.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2022, 05:30:32 AM »

Personally i don't find guest appearances of other characters an especially endearing feature in any show so was utterly indifferent to Cad etc. Showing up. Cynical I may be, but it felt a bit forced an unfair to people not up on comics and clone wars all things that could've been fixed with 5 minutes of flash backs to flesh them out for the casual star wars fan. Maybe the Mando episodes stole that time?

Anyway I just hope they can return to form with Obi Wan and take the time and care to craft it properly like Mando 1 and 2 were.

If they would've done a flashback to the unreleased scene between Boba and Cad from TCW, where they have a duel, and shoot each other, it would've solved this problem. Not completely maybe, but it would've provided a ton of context to the "final lesson" line, and in general just really helped out with everything. Not to mention that it would have been sweet. Bring back Daniel Logan, and just remake the entire scene in live-action.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2022, 11:22:05 PM »

If they would've done a flashback to the unreleased scene between Boba and Cad from TCW, where they have a duel, and shoot each other, it would've solved this problem. Not completely maybe, but it would've provided a ton of context to the "final lesson" line, and in general just really helped out with everything. Not to mention that it would have been sweet. Bring back Daniel Logan, and just remake the entire scene in live-action.

Absolutely agree, just one little flashback could've made it mean something to the many people I know who never (and no desire to) watch the Clone wars or read the comics. I think its confused a lot of casual star wars fans.

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2022, 02:24:24 PM »

I think this was just an expectation vs reality situation.  As I said before I never assumed this would be anything other than a interlude in the Mandalorian show.  Even the production numbers start with "3" denoting season 3 of the Mandalorian.  The "Official" story is due to some contract obligations Pedro could only do a small amount of filming in the time they wanted.  Unofficially its being said they were in heated negotiations about him always having his helmet on.  Either way it resulted in a "quick" interlude being filmed.  But I knew this was coming when Disney announced their EU would all be interconnected.  There would be people who actively reject watching the animated shows or reading the novels and comics who would be lost.  On one hand I do get it..... but the other hand says "just keep up with the lore."   But thats me.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2022, 11:03:33 PM »

I'm of the mindset that every story should be able to be consumed as a Standalone. Yeah, absolutely bring in some characters, mention events, etc. from other stories, but tell a complete story within the framework you've created for your story. That way hardcores understand, casuals understand, and people who love SW, but can't do the animated stuff for whatever reason understand.

Maybe that's the wrong way to think about stories, but you look at the most successful IPs, and that what they've done. MCU? Each film is it's own, complete story (you could make an argument for Infinity War and Endgame, but even they have a complete story arc within each individual film). Look at the 6 Lucas SW movies, each could stand on its own just fine. Harry Potter? They can each be read/watched by themselves, etc. Tell a complete story, and nobody should care.

While maybe not the story some people wanted from The Book of Boba Fett, it did feel mostly like a complete story (though maybe not done as cleanly as it could've been).

DeadSh0t77
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 28

Very Nice. Very Evil.

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2022, 01:11:35 AM »

I think you’re comparing Movies to Streaming Series though.

I suspect what LucasFilm is treating it like is the Series are nerd deep dives, and the films are for general audiences.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2022, 03:40:39 PM »

Absolutely agree, just one little flashback could've made it mean something to the many people I know who never (and no desire to) watch the Clone wars or read the comics. I think its confused a lot of casual star wars fans.
I also concur with this^^

Point of fact, I can attest that you're BOTH correct: my wife isn't particularly a fan of SW BUT (because she's awesome and is interested in my hobbies) knows the basics.  Whenever a character like Black Krrsantan or Cad Bane turned up (particularly the latter; poor plotting that IMO), she'd look at me askance (knowing me to be the big SW nerd that I am  Wink). 

As previously pointed out, this could've been rectified with a proper in-story introduction instead of the blatant fanservice that it was.  And while I do enjoy the fanservice, I am inclined to agree w/ LSG concerning the priority should be on GOOD storytelling instead.

Ultimately: there was much I enjoyed about "The Book of Boba Fett" but it is by no means perfect or without its faults.  Hopefully, Season 2 will be an improvement^^

Again: really enjoying hearing about differing opinions regarding this  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2022, 03:08:54 PM »

Gonna take a hard stance here and a most assuredly unpopular one.  I've grown tired of the catering to "casuals".  I grow impatient having to sit through exposition that I don't need because someone may have refused to watch or read other parts of the lore.  I enjoyed Cad Bane showing up and no big info dump on who he was...when I saw his silhouette walking towards Cobb...I knew what was coming.  One thing is I think my years of Comic Book collecting has helped in this attitude.  When I pick up an Issue of Thor and Angela or Volstagg shows up....they don't explain who they are.  They are assuming if you're reading this comic who know who these people are.  Same with the MCU and Star Wars.  IMO if your going to watch something Lore heavy like Star Wars, LOTR or The MCU...then you need to have at least a working knowledge of the Lore.  But again, thats me.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2022, 09:09:57 PM »

Gonna take a hard stance here and a most assuredly unpopular one.  I've grown tired of the catering to "casuals".  I grow impatient having to sit through exposition that I don't need because someone may have refused to watch or read other parts of the lore.  I enjoyed Cad Bane showing up and no big info dump on who he was...when I saw his silhouette walking towards Cobb...I knew what was coming.  One thing is I think my years of Comic Book collecting has helped in this attitude.  When I pick up an Issue of Thor and Angela or Volstagg shows up....they don't explain who they are.  They are assuming if you're reading this comic who know who these people are.  Same with the MCU and Star Wars.  IMO if your going to watch something Lore heavy like Star Wars, LOTR or The MCU...then you need to have at least a working knowledge of the Lore.  But again, thats me.

I actually agree with this. That doesn't mean that that gives someone license to not tell a complete story.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2022, 09:36:30 PM »

I get that point for comics but not movies or live action TV shows. 

Books/Comics typically cater to a smaller audience who are, by definition of purchasing those items out of sequence with large advertising (when was the last time you saw an add for a comic on the side of a bus?) more into deep lore, but by the same token they are relatively cheaper to produce due to smaller customer base.

To be financially viable any live action production needs a far far larger audience than a comic book, to wit they need to respect the fact that most viewers will require backstory from other media or they risk alienating the casual audience that would make up the vast majority of revenue. Casuals are where the money is at, not catering to them is a quick trip into losing money on the next project (ie people less likely to bother with the next film/series if they can't follow the current one).

I don't think they've gone that far yet and BoBF was more hamfisted and incompetent than intentional in its failures, but yeah I think catering to the casual is the way to make money, and money is all that matters in the end for this media. 

Lord_S_Gray

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2022, 11:46:40 PM »

I get that point for comics but not movies or live action TV shows. 

Books/Comics typically cater to a smaller audience who are, by definition of purchasing those items out of sequence with large advertising (when was the last time you saw an add for a comic on the side of a bus?) more into deep lore, but by the same token they are relatively cheaper to produce due to smaller customer base.

To be financially viable any live action production needs a far far larger audience than a comic book, to wit they need to respect the fact that most viewers will require backstory from other media or they risk alienating the casual audience that would make up the vast majority of revenue. Casuals are where the money is at, not catering to them is a quick trip into losing money on the next project (ie people less likely to bother with the next film/series if they can't follow the current one).

I don't think they've gone that far yet and BoBF was more hamfisted and incompetent than intentional in its failures, but yeah I think catering to the casual is the way to make money, and money is all that matters in the end for this media. 

Thing is, they did it with the MCU.  It is very much told in a comic format.  While of course not a 1:1, If you wanted to watch any of the Ensemble films you had to watch at least a few key of the other films...much like a comic series.  Now a lot of casuals were able to eventually go with it...but there were still many that didn't.  Personally had a conversation about Infinity War with someone who could not wrap their head around having to watch a bunch of other films to watch another one.  Now I know very well they wont stop catering to casuals but its a tricky thing to bring in new without alienating the old and honestly, IMO, They are all failing.  At this point in my old age I kind of wish Geek Culture would return to the niche it used to be.  Now all of you get off my lawn.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2022, 12:46:45 PM »

Finally watched the last episodes. I enjoyed it. Some really good bits. Still not a huge fan of Boba and I have no idea what they can do after all this.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2022, 03:09:13 PM »

Enjoyed it alot. I like the more honorable side of Boba, and Din is always a pleasure to watch. The two together have one of my favorite dynamics

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: