Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Home Depot build  (Read 2471 times)
akodoex1998
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: February 22, 2022, 03:44:32 PM »

Greetings all. I apologize for the redundant or stupid question I am going to ask here. I have been toying with the idea of building my own lightsaber for both show and potentially dueling. I have found some great parts ideas from Home Depot but my question is what parts from US do I need to get my saber to light up and have sound. Again I apologize if this post is redundant and thank you Master's for your help. -- Akodo

DeadSh0t77
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 28

Very Nice. Very Evil.

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 07:27:51 PM »

Well - I hate to discourage anyone, but if you’ve never done this before (or similar things with electronics, using a soldering iron, understanding LEDs & power requirements, electronic schmatics,  etc.) - you could end up with a rather expensive bummer if you blow out an LED or accidentally fry a board.

If you aren’t experienced, I would suggest buying a basic looking saber with sound installed that you can then customize the external look of to your heart’s content - and learn a lot more about the components and work your way up to doing the electronics as well.

(I am saying this as someone who has accidentally both blown an LED and accidentally shorted a sound board years ago before I really knew what the heck I was doing  Wink )

akodoex1998
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 07:49:22 PM »

I appreciate the input. I have never built a saber before or really done electronic stuff before. My area of expertise is automotive mechanics. I mean I have spliced on new connectors for my car, so there is that. I've always wanted to try my hand at this kinda thing though.

DeadSh0t77
Knight Lance Corporal

Very Nice. Very Evil.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 07:54:10 PM »

Ok - start with this thread and post any specific questions you have along the way:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11521.0

akodoex1998
Force Sensitive

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 07:57:38 PM »

Will do DeadSh0t. Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it!

DeadSh0t77
Knight Lance Corporal

Very Nice. Very Evil.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 08:04:08 PM »

Some of those links may be out of date, but you’ll get the idea.  And again, just ask for specifics as you need them.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 10:23:08 PM »

I would at least stick to cheap electronics for your first few builds, that you don't accidentally fry an expensive sound board. Years ago it was popular to gut the Hasbro toy sabers and wire sound boards into US(and other) sabers, which I think would be a good way to get acquainted with working with electronics and soldering, without being out a lot of money if you screw something up.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

akodoex1998
Force Sensitive

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 10:50:35 PM »

So I got all my lightsaber's guts. I got a green led kit with switch and batteries. The kit is pretty legit. The speaker and soundboard I got from the hasbro saber forge toy at Walmart. It sounds good. The snag that I've run into isn't that none of it will fit inside the hilt, because it will. The snag I hit is that the activation button is a contact pad on the board itself. My question to the Jedi masters is, is there a way to bypass that contact pad so I can wire up my activation switch? Any help would be great.

May the Force be with you all! -- Akodo

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 01:05:56 AM »

Connect the wires of the switch to the contacts of the contact pad without bridging them.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

akodoex1998
Force Sensitive

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 06:50:15 PM »

I got a friend to help solder the electronics for me. That was clutch. Now the problem I'm running into is finding a blade that will fit my hilt. The drain pipe is 1 inch in diameter so I need polycarbonate tubing that will fit inside the hilt. Any ideas on where I can find this?

I also wanted to say thank you to all who have offered advice on this build. I look forward to sharing pics of the final product.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 02:44:54 PM »

TCSS has 1 inch 7/8 and 3/4. Pc tubes and the tips fir each. Don't forget cellophane to roll up inside and difuse the light.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff