Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ultrasaber Upgrade Plan  (Read 811 times)
mast3rkryptos
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: May 24, 2022, 07:25:46 PM »

I currently own two Ultrasabers:
  • Liberator: Fire Orange LED, Resistor, ObsidianUSB, 2x14500
  • Initiate v3: Guardian Blue LED, Resistor, no soundboard, 4xAAA

First Task:
I'd like to change over the Liberator to a PC Amber LED (Vf=3.28V, If=1000mA). From my understanding of the ObsidianUSB board, plus a helping of circuit knowledge from my Computer Engineering degree, I believe if I replace the resistor with a 1000mA BuckPuck, I should be able to do a swap replacement of the Fire Orange LED star with my PC Amber LED star (NOTE: I've verified physical fitment specs on the PC Amber LED/optics vs. the Liberator LED Module). Does this work out in the expert sabersmiths' eyes?

Second Task:
Additionally (sorry for making this a compound post), my oldest has taken a liking to my Initiate stunt saber, but would like it to be purple/violet instead of blue. I've researched a Violet LED (Vf=2.83V, If=1225mA). I've got a few paths in front of me:
  • Commit to using alkalines-only (costly): this gets me 6V, allowing me to use a 1000mA BuckPuck (steps down 2.5V) without dipping under the Violet LED Vf
  • Commit to using NiMH-only (economical): this gets me 4.8V, forcing me to current limit via resistor to stay equal to the Violet LED Vf, dissipating lots more extra power via heat compared to a BuckPuck circuit
  • Commit to flexibility (flexible): like the second bullet, but calculate the resistor based on 6V (for safety of the power dissipation and LED forward current); my 4.8V NiMH setup will just have a dimmer blade (not ideal)
Are there other options I should be considering to easily convert my Initiate to violet? Haven't looked too deeply into Li-ion, though it seems possible a 2x18650 (in series) would permit usage of a BuckPuck in the Initiate.

I should also note that soldering irons and Ohm's Law are old friends of mine, and I'm not shy about using them (for good or for evil).

Thank you in advance for your brain power!

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 09:32:34 PM »

All seems well with your Liberator plan.

I wouldn't recommend using  a high powered Violet LED as they emit a large portion of ultraviolet which is harmful to the eyes at high intensity and over time. Even blacklist a for poster lighting are significantly less intense than high powered LED. A Red-Royal blue LED combination can be resistored to so e nice purples without the eyestrain.
I have found that a single 18659 lithium Ion cell with a resistor works better for most of my applications than a buckpuck setup. Even a pair of 14500 with buckpuck is preferred (brightness vs. runtime) over non lithium ions setups.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

mast3rkryptos
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 05:02:16 PM »

Thank you for the input on the Initiate! I didn't realize the Violet LED would have that much spillover into UV (I've experienced the "fun" of UV overexposure with SLA 3D print curing). I am now looking into a Tri-Cree RGrB star and switching the Initiate to a Li-ion setup.

In the future, the oldest may desire a soundboard in the Initiate. In reading through some forum posts and installation docs for multiple different soundboards, including the Obsidian line, I've seen a slight prohibition on using metal film resistors (though no justification given as to why in the install docs). Any idea why metal film resistors (which are the most common ones I have in my kit at home) may not be advised in a saber electronics build? Beyond the resistance value and power, which I can calculate once I decide on my LED setup, any recommendation for the type of resistor to use?

Thanks!

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 05:45:13 AM »

The o ly reason I know of for not using them is they tend to be larger than some other options. If you have space in you build if should be fine.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff