Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Kenobi Series Thoughts  (Read 11237 times)
DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2022, 05:30:38 PM »

Well. I gave in and watched it. Some very good bits, some nostalgia, some epicness and some intense facepalming.
I'm not a travel time nazi. BUT. When you open someone who teleported to a distant planet while a chase is still going on involving people that LEFT BEFORE SHE COULD... Well... That forehead bruise is gonna be huge.
I agree with what most have said.
It seems the script was written by someone named "Goodenough". It feels like a huge amount of shruging was done everytime someone objected to something in the script. IF anyone objected at all, that is.

This could have been a very good show. In the end, it is meh. At best.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2022, 06:45:18 PM »

Once again, some truly salient points have been brought up^^  VERY much liking this discussion  Smiley

Seriously, then, I suggrst you watch the YouTube "remixed" version with the Ep.3 music…I would love your opinion(s) on the difference made with this simple "rescoring" of the fight scenes. :-D
GREAT suggestion!  I did precisely that and gladly admit that a change in the soundtrack made for a better scene.

Qui-Gon was stabbed higher than the gut... pretty sure it got part of his lungs.  Bit different from the gut which seems to not be a huge issue in SW. 

I honestly am baffled by people irked by "teleporting"  the same thing was talked about with Game of Thrones.  Travel time isn't something that ever really entered my mind when watching a film or show.  If they did that the majority of the show would be scenes of people traveling.

In terms of the duel I much preferred this to the EP III duel.... I have always been very critical of the EP III duel in contrast to the rest of the fandom it seems.  While I agree that the show was not what it could have been bu I seemed to enjoy it more than most. 
While you bring up a good point, I respectfully disagree in that there ARE methods that could EASILY deal with said travel time e.g. editing and simple exposition being two examples that work well.  With editing, one could place a simple scene that could occur either sooner OR even a standard "ship taking off from Planet X" to help with the suspension of disbelief, while even one simple sentence of exposition could also be effective, something like "Thank the Force that Tatooine was so close to (insert location) otherwise I'd never have made it."

Obviously these are mere "bare-bones" scripting examples but you get the idea  Wink

However, I COMPLETELY agree that THIS Obi-wan/Vader fight WAS superior to the Episode III fight.  I never thought I'd say this but in Episode III the swordplay looked too choreographed, too refined...sterile even.  With this fight, I could FEEL the emotion that BOTH combatants brought to their swordsmanship.  Also: I felt that we get another fantastic example of how Forceusers would actually USE the Force to supplement their saberwork, using their environment against their opponent (I'm also reminded in "Empire Strikes Back" when Vader keeps lobbing containers, pieces of stanchion and the like at Luke).  Again, one of the few instances in which the series was actually superior to the movies  Smiley

There's a reason why LOTR feels so realistic.
TR brings up a perfect example on how one can cinematically show actual travel taking place without taking one out of the narrative  Smiley

Well. I gave in and watched it. Some very good bits, some nostalgia, some epicness and some intense facepalming.
I'm not a travel time nazi. BUT. When you open someone who teleported to a distant planet while a chase is still going on involving people that LEFT BEFORE SHE COULD... Well... That forehead bruise is gonna be huge.
I agree with what most have said.
It seems the script was written by someone named "Goodenough". It feels like a huge amount of shruging was done everytime someone objected to something in the script. IF anyone objected at all, that is.

This could have been a very good show. In the end, it is meh. At best.
Again, I have to agree with DR's assessments.

Obi-Wan was a series that had some great ideas, even some great scenes...but ultimately failed to deliver on its potential.

Great discussion, everyone!  Points for everyone  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2023, 07:12:35 PM »

Sorry for being late to the game....but whatever.

I actually loved really enjoyed this series. Other than 2 gaping plot holes, it was almost great.

Gaping plot hole #1: In ANH Vader said to OBK "When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master." This implies that they have not seen each other in a long time, and actually brings into question the events of TCW as well as ROTS, as far as whether Anakin had actually graduated to Knight. Anywho...at the very earliest it implies that they haven't seen each other since that fateful day on Mustafar. It makes 0% sense for him to make this statement had their paths crossed any sooner.

Gaping plot hole #2: Leia. Again in ANH, Leia sends a message to ask for OBK's help. This message is clearly not being sent to an old friend that saved her bacon and returned her home as a child. It is addressed to someone that she has only heard of from her dad; it is too formal.

Now, these aside.....WOW!

- I loved watching Vader truly Sith out.
- I loved the mental chess game that went on between OBK and Vader based on their duels in the Jedi Temple.
- I absolutely adored little Leia. She was a pip. I can easily see this child growing into the young woman that we all fell in love with (portrayed by Carrie Fisher).
- I loved how they showed OBK.....surviving and just getting by as a nobody.

- I hated the Inqs, but then....I always hate them. But mainly how far they deviated from the designs of SWR. They shrank Fifth Brother by at least 15", and WTF did they do to the Grand? Did no one watch ROTS to see how a Pau'an
  looks? GRRRR  Angry
- I hated that they didn't get Jason Isaacs to reprise his voice role as the Grand Inquisitor.
- I hated....whatever number sister she was....for reasons I don't feel comfortable discussing.
- I hated the lack of regard of what really happens when a stone hits a human body....armored or otherwise.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2023, 01:34:28 PM »

I'm also late to the party but, since Darth Logos revived this thread, I might as well add my two cents. I found this series really enjoyable, possibly my favorite of the Disney+ SW shows. No real complaints from me, just a few nitpicky things with the plot holes they introduced, as DL said.

Gaping plot hole #1: In ANH Vader said to OBK "When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master." This implies that they have not seen each other in a long time, and actually brings into question the events of TCW as well as ROTS, as far as whether Anakin had actually graduated to Knight. Anywho...at the very earliest it implies that they haven't seen each other since that fateful day on Mustafar. It makes 0% sense for him to make this statement had their paths crossed any sooner.

Gaping plot hole #2: Leia. Again in ANH, Leia sends a message to ask for OBK's help. This message is clearly not being sent to an old friend that saved her bacon and returned her home as a child. It is addressed to someone that she has only heard of from her dad; it is too formal.

Unfortunately, these are the issues you get with prequel series and movies. They almost never stay 100% true to the original. Really, after suffering a second and even more crushing defeat at the hands of Obi-Wan, Vader's whole demeanor on the Death Star should have been different. But, it wasn't because that fight didn't exist at the time that the original movie was made.

Another one could technically be that Owen's attitude towards Obi-Wan changed towards the end of the series. He invited Obi-Wan to meet Luke, making it seem like he at least was starting to accept Obi-Wan as Luke's protector. Yet, in the original movie, Owen told Luke that Ben/Obi-Wan is just a crazy old man and to stay away from him. Though, I know they're planning to do more seasons of this show, so maybe something else happens to change Owen's attitude again. Or, maybe he just became a grumpy old man.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2023, 03:38:24 PM »

Unfortunately, these are the issues you get with prequel series and movies. They almost never stay 100% true to the original. Really, after suffering a second and even more crushing defeat at the hands of Obi-Wan, Vader's whole demeanor on the Death Star should have been different. But, it wasn't because that fight didn't exist at the time that the original movie was made.
As a Sith, if I reencountered the dude that handed me my ass, I wouldn't be calm about it, let alone offer banter.

Another one could technically be that Owen's attitude towards Obi-Wan changed towards the end of the series. He invited Obi-Wan to meet Luke, making it seem like he at least was starting to accept Obi-Wan as Luke's protector. Yet, in the original movie, Owen told Luke that Ben/Obi-Wan is just a crazy old man and to stay away from him. Though, I know they're planning to do more seasons of this show, so maybe something else happens to change Owen's attitude again. Or, maybe he just became a grumpy old man.
I don't think Owen was as worried about Luke meeting Obi Wan, as he was about Obi Wan trying to indoctrinate him. His fears probably increased as Luke got older and began dreaming of adventure and excitement, and became more rebellious in his pursuits. Something about the Force working in mysterious ways. Droid runs off, Luke chases droid, Luke escapes Imp massacre, Luke joins up with the Jedi.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2023, 05:01:09 AM »

As a Sith, if I reencountered the dude that handed me my ass, I wouldn't be calm about it, let alone offer banter.

And he did it twice. Yeah, Vader should have been out for blood.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2023, 01:05:51 PM »

I'm excluding the Mustafar incident.

Sig by For Tyeth

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2023, 02:55:38 PM »

I think as Luke grew, it made sense that Owen would become more protective, as he's obviously more likely to be discovered as a teenager than as a toddler. Plus wasn't the Empire slowly beginning to build a presence on Tattoine by that point? Also I can 100% see Obi-Wan dipping much more into "senile old coot" territory as he ages.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2023, 08:19:55 PM »

Well, Obi-Wan also told Luke that Owen was afraid Luke would follow him on a "damn fool adventure." This got more likely as Luke aged and dreamed of leaving the planet. So, I guess that does explain that part.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2023, 11:05:34 PM »

Yes that's definitely another part of it, I'd imagine. He wouldn't let him go to the academy for much the same reason me thinks.

(Sig by me!)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2023, 11:23:16 PM »

Yes that's definitely another part of it, I'd imagine. He wouldn't let him go to the academy for much the same reason me thinks.

Yep, trying to protect his adopted son from the war, but then the war came to their doorstep.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2023, 10:48:34 PM »

Yep, trying to protect his adopted son from the war, but then the war came to their doorstep.

Also maybe a level of "no kid of mine is selling his soul to the fascist regime" mixed in, me thinks.

(Sig by me!)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2023, 02:17:49 PM »

Also maybe a level of "no kid of mine is selling his soul to the fascist regime" mixed in, me thinks.
Let's keep things straight. The Empire is fascist, the Jedi are dogmatic. And clearly Luke was neither. He took a wife, that had tried to kill him, and had a son with her. And his niece is dating the leader of the Imperial Remnant.

Sig by For Tyeth

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2023, 06:16:38 PM »

Let's keep things straight. The Empire is fascist, the Jedi are dogmatic. And clearly Luke was neither. He took a wife, that had tried to kill him, and had a son with her. And his niece is dating the leader of the Imperial Remnant.

I don't honestly think Owen would want Luke to be involved in either, but at the time, all Owen knew that was left of the Jedi was some crazy old man, vs letting him leave his home to jump straight into the Imperial military.

(Sig by me!)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2023, 12:19:30 PM »

Yeah, Luke built his Jedi Order differently. There were other married couples in the New Jedi Order. That means he probably realized the failings of the old order. The prequel trilogy did a great job of showing how the Jedi Order's downfall was as much their own fault as it was the Sith's fault. Palpatine was brilliant, he played the Republic and Anakin like a fiddle to get what he wanted, but it still wouldn't have been possible without help from the Jedi. Luke surely would have studied the old order and the last years before their downfall and tried to avoid making the same mistakes.

I don't honestly think Owen would want Luke to be involved in either, but at the time, all Owen knew that was left of the Jedi was some crazy old man, vs letting him leave his home to jump straight into the Imperial military.

Owen was a farmer, and that's all he wanted to be. That's also all he wanted Luke to be. He used stall tactics and lame excuses to try to keep Luke on Tatooine. You could say it was for Luke's protection, but I think he also wanted Luke to be just like him.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: