Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Switching LEDs between blades?  (Read 3172 times)
vash1128
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 27, 2011, 04:09:36 AM »

Is it possible to switch the LEDs and electronics from one hilt to another?  Has anyone tried this?  I've noticed that the LED slides a bit in some hilts, but I'm too scared to push it all the way through for fear of breaking something.  Thanks!

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:18:59 AM »

Possible yes, easy no. In order to swap electronics you need to completely disassemble both hilts. I don't know the finer details of the process so I'm not gonna actually explain it. But it can be done.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 05:15:06 AM »

Its actually quite easy, here's how I do it, though you run the risk of tugging a few wires and possibly having to splice them back, which is no big deal.

Open the battery chamber.

Remove the blade.

Grab a straight, thin stick and a pair of plyers.

Ok, now, very gently twist (lefty loosy) and/or pry the ignition piece (button and guard) out from the hilt. At the bottom, if your saber is like mine, its a long black column with a white plug at the base that the wires come out of. Ok now hold that white plug, and twist the black column. Do this on a clear surface because stuff will come out, namely some springs and little bits and pieces, I think 2 or 3 things. Alright, set that aside safely along with the button. Poke the white piece and wires back into the saber.

Slide your stick in the front of the saber and gently push the LED assembly backwars. If it doesnt go, try pushing it forwards. Everything has to come out the same end. Once you get it out, gently slide the wires, white plug, and battery pack out.

Reassembly after youve put the electronics back in requires needle nosed plyers to get the white plug back out, being very gentle so you dont mess up the wires. Do this very gently, reassemble and reattach the black column/button part, and then sink it back in.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Smokiewan
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -7

What's with the darkside points people?

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 09:00:36 AM »

IIRC, your warranty will be void once you start taking it apart. It's scary stuff, taking apart something you love.

I'm not saying "Don't do it!!!", or "You'll fail!!!". NO SIR! I believe in you, just like I believe in everyone's ability to astonish. Just be sure you have the right tools and courage to do it.

Because it's like Doc Brown says, "If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.", and if you believe you can do it, then you can. Just don't give up when things are past the point of no return and you're looking down at parts. Press on to victory!

GOOD LUCK!!! And remember, "Do, or do not. There is no try.".

Also, don't forget to post your work. We all love that kind of stuff.

LDM's O.G. Anakin AOTC 616 conversion,'05 MR Windu ROTS,'08 HFX Dooku ROTS,"C.A.T.S"(Chewie's Auto Trim Special) US Oppressor v.2, "The Cheerleader" US S.I(Steel), "Billy" US Wraith v.2, "Gripz" US S.I v.2

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 701

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 04:43:42 PM »

IIRC, your warranty will be void once you start taking it apart. It's scary stuff, taking apart something you love.

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

Ronin
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -1

Guardian Without Question

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 04:11:32 AM »

Lol, Deep is just like "...'nuff said".

If you want to change colors between hilts it's pretty easy, BUY AN RGB!!! It is one hundred percent worth the extra cash, and with the sale going on... perfect timing Cheesy

Dominix V2 - R|G|B| -FIXED Cheesy
Prophecy - Consular Green
Light Phantom Initate - Gaurdian Blue (little bro's)

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 06:53:25 AM »

Or if you're a little tight on cash, just get a grab bag hilt in the color you want, I love me some grab bag sabers!

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Caine
Disgraced
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -129

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »

The Bane has what is called an MLS (modular light system) unit, where you can swap out LED's as long as you have a quick disconnect system and extra MLS. Both the QD and MLS units can be added to your order.

Also, all MHS based sabers can have the LED swapped out also, as long as the heatsink assembly has a QD option, too.

I DO NOT recommend swapping out the LED's in the other Ultrasabers as it will void your warranty as said in the past few posts.

DarkJedi
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 08:52:53 PM »

I safely removed the switch.

Now, how do I detach the wires from the button so that I can remove the led and battery units...?

Caine
Disgraced
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -129

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 05:35:57 AM »

I safely removed the switch.

Now, how do I detach the wires from the button so that I can remove the led and battery units...?

You can either cut them, or use your soldering iron to melt the heatshrink right at the wire/switch connection and detach it that way.

brinstar
Force Sensitive

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 03:10:31 AM »

I came here to ask what I think to be the very same question, only a smidgeon different to hopefully warrant my added inquiry...

I am thinking of ordering the new Dark Shock in blazing red, but am not 100% of that color choice. I have a Liberator (I think) in violent amethyst and was wondering, if I don't care for the Dark Shock in red after receiving it, can I send the hilt back along with my Liberator hilt, to have the colors swapped at a cost? Or is what I am wanting to do different than what the OP is asking and therefore an easier, user doable task?

Just curious. Thanks.

vash1128
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 04:35:37 AM »

I think what you want to do is the same as what I wanted: switch the LEDs between two sabers.  This actually turned out to be a user-doable job, with the right tools, and it took me about 2 hrs.  I would also suggest having extra switches around (order from TCSS), as I mangled one trying to get it out.

As for sending it in, maybe Ultra or one of the other forum elders can answer your question.  Given US's customer service, I'm sure they'd do it for a reasonable price.

But IMO opinion, you can't go wrong with any of the dark hilts in blazing red Smiley.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: