Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Quick Blade Swap  (Read 1334 times)
Darth Aethelmearc
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« on: March 03, 2023, 04:54:31 PM »

All in all, I'm happy with my Ultrasabers and this isn't even a complaint, just a wishlist item that I'm not sure how feasible it would be.

The hex screw does a good job of holding the blade in place (when the emitter is deep enough, not so good on the Archon v3.1), but it is a rather cumbersome way to install or remove the blade.
Does anyone think they might come up with a quick release or fast swap retention method so we no longer need the allen wrench and can add/remove/swap the blade on the go more rapidly?

"He's dressed like a Jedi; let's see if the Force is with him."

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 09:30:17 PM »

One company attempted a threaded blade that screwed into the emitter. But a lot of folks didn’t take to the idea because banging it around was thought to ruin the threading on blade and emitter…then where are you?

I’ve thought about a system like flexible plumbing pipes where you could pull back on the emitter and insert a notched blade. The problem there is would it be as secure a fit as the retention screws or would there be some degree of wobble? If so, then you’re looking at several problems, especially now with pixel blades and the pins getting too much wear and tear.

But the main problem I think would be cost. Because now there’s a multi-part, more complex emitter design—not to mention a new blade design to be compatible. Not saying this couldn’t work, or that someone won’t eventually come up with a variation on the theme. But it would need to be tested and may not work with all emitter designs even if it could be made secure.

That’s my best answer. And with the rising cost of everything, the bigger the price tag, the smaller the market. Which is already an issue for some saber companies that market to a fairly exclusive clientele, then wonder why sales drop when times get economically tough. Because they are dependent on a niche group who can afford their product within an already niche market to begin with. And in spite of what they say about the budget saber community now, you can go back years ago when there were only a few saber companies and they were saying the same thing then, simply because as a business they never diversified their line. Which is small business 101 so if one tier of the business starts to sink, you have other tiers that might help you stay afloat.

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

Kelli Renae
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 12:51:14 AM »

Maybe some sort of wingnut?  It would still be a form of the hex screw but you wouldn't need the wrench.  Another question with that is could you get/make one "low profile" enough that it won't detract from the appearance of your saber but still be usable...

CapPoptart
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 12

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 07:00:14 PM »

On the expensive side; the MSH emitters come off and can be swapped out.  With my Manticore, I can unscrew the emitter (that still holds the blade) by hand and screw on another empty MHS compatible emitter.  They sell the Manticore emitter (light and dark) as separate pieces; I may break down and get a second Manticore emitter for this reason.   

The Archon v3.1 also has an MHS compatible emitter.  They sell the Archon V.2.1 emitter (as well as a few others) as a separate piece for $45 if that is close enough etc.  Another option is to buy a second v.3.1 so you can swap out their emitters; I will cop to buying a stunt version of a hilt that I already own to "make a staff" (the staff couplers are sold as separate pieces). 

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 09:56:04 PM »

One quick and simple thing you can do is to remove the standard set screw and replace it with thumb screw. As I have done this with several of my sabers . Here is an example pic.
This pic also shows another small mod that I did which is adding a 2nd set screw and drilling small holes ( windows) around the emitter.

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Dorinian AB; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

CapPoptart
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 12

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 10:13:25 PM »

One quick and simple thing you can do is to remove the standard set screw and replace it with thumb screw. As I have done this with several of my sabers . Here is an example pic.
This pic also shows another small mod that I did which is adding a 2nd set screw and drilling small holes ( windows) around the emitter.

MavRick very clever; well done!

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 12:51:40 PM »

I've seen this sort of thing done before and I've always thought it was a good idea. Plus, I like how you chose blue thumb screws to match your blade.  Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: