Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Holding the windows on the emitter  (Read 547 times)
CapPoptart
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 12

« on: May 13, 2023, 03:30:04 AM »

Out of curiosity, what do people think re: whether someone could grip over the emitter windows?  Obviously for the UltraSabers product it is fine; but assuming that this was a "real" lightsaber, I am not so sure.  Are they open/would that burn the hands?  Or are they incased in glass/something transparent that you can hold?

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 03:49:06 AM »

Ignoring all Real World rules regarding convection, I think it's one of two things: 1) Unless you actually touch the blade, no burns, etc. OR 2) the person wielding the lightsaber protects themselves with the Force via tutaminis. 

Of course, #2 becomes problematic if a NON-Forceuser handles the lightsaber  Wink

Perhaps it's what you alluded to with the windows actually being transparasteel (or the equivalent).

Regardless, I prefer my sabers with emitter windows  Cheesy

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

CapPoptart
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 04:16:18 AM »

Ignoring all Real World rules regarding convection, I think it's one of two things: 1) Unless you actually touch the blade, no burns, etc. OR 2) the person wielding the lightsaber protects themselves with the Force via tutaminis. 

Of course, #2 becomes problematic if a NON-Forceuser handles the lightsaber  Wink

Perhaps it's what you alluded to with the windows actually being transparasteel (or the equivalent).

Regardless, I prefer my sabers with emitter windows  Cheesy

I like the windows too.  With my Manticore emitter, there is defiantly room/distance to hold on to the emitter without coming into direct contact with the blade. 

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 04:53:09 AM »

Hi there,

I believe that TheDutchman made a good point that unless you make contact with the blade you won't receive a cut or burn. This is probably due to the "plasma" cutting substance of the blade is contained within a force field and for a blade to cut that field needs to be penetrated. Because the force field directs the blade along the inside of the emitter the cutting plasma wouldn't seep out or contact the hand of someone holding the emitter (maybe if you were to squeeze hold of the emitter so hard your skin pressed into the windows then you might get an injury).

I also like windows on sabers but funnily enough the two Ultrasabers I own don't have them (I have a Consular and an Archon V3).

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 03:05:31 PM »

Only my dark sentinel has emitter windows, but they're far enough out of the way that I don't really contact them due to the choke points....although I tend to be an emitter holder on most other sabers, none have windows.

Though I would imagine the windows would actually be a transparent material, So this really wouldn't be an issue in universe either.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 11:09:37 PM »

I know some people actually like to use the Aeon/Dominix/Initate V4 emitter as a choke, so if it has windows they would be holding over the windows. Fortunately, Ultrasabers started chamfering the windows on the Initiate and Aeon/Dominix V4 because they used to be really sharp. Personally, I usually use the ridged section below the windows.

As for doing it on a "real" lightsaber, I can't think of a reason why you would want to. I know they added that sort of "Window" in the Graflex emitter for the sequel trilogy, (technically, it was there in the original movies due to the Graflex design, but it wasn't lit) but none of the characters had their hand there because it wasn't a good grip point.

CapPoptart
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 08:23:57 PM »

Re-watching some of the "newer" duels (because, of course I did), it looks to me like the vast majority of the combatants grip their saber high (on the emitter or close to it).  Even Darth Maul grips close to the emitters with both hands when using his staff. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: