Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 1st Saber/1st Review: Phantom V2  (Read 6651 times)
Darth_Greyloch
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -2

« on: December 29, 2010, 10:46:40 PM »

Hi all, I'm pretty new to all this stuff, and I just received my first saber. I decided to post a review, at least of the initial impressions and all that. I've only had it for a short time. I also took a few pics w/ my cellphone camera, didn't touch them up other than to crop and resize them.

I was anxiously awaiting my first ultra-sabers order today, of the Phantom V2 I had ordered just a week ago (nice delivery time). I finally received it this afternoon.

The delivery box was very beat up, and ripped open in the middle, with foam peanuts leaking out and the saber blades clearly visible. Good old UPS, they handle packages with such care. I was pretty worried about possible damage or theft, but everything seemed to be there, and there were only some minor scuff marks that I noticed on one of the blades. Not bad, considered the savaged condition of the box.

I proceeded to assemble the blades, 1st noting that they had come with free batteries, though they had popped out of the holders during transport. I put them back in place, and stuffed a bit of bubble wrap on one side of each holder to secure it for now. I'd heard velcro being recommended for this purpose on the boards, so I resolved to get some later.

I switched each blade on, seemed normal enough. It wasn't the brightest, but looked nice in a darkened room, and was clearly the color I'd chosen: Orange. After that, it was a simple matter to unscrew the individual pommels, and screw on the threaded coupler to form the Phantom hilt.

I ordered the full-sized Phantom, but ordered the blades as the 24" initiate size, but with the heavy-grade and ultra-edge options. I understood that it would have been about 7' long altogether if I'd gotten the full 32" blades, and I'd been afraid that would be too long for me, since I'm under 6' tall (5'8"). The total length of this one was about my height. The blades on this one don't look very impressive individually, and I was momentarily concerned that I'd made a poor choice in that regard, but after getting a look at the fully assembled saber I decided it was a pretty good choice of first saber.

The metal Dominix hilts felt nice, pretty cool looking too. I was thinking it might be a good effect if I painted or colored in some of the grooves with a silver color, might do that later on when I determine the best way to do so. The blades seemed to fit snugly in the hilts. I guess they are removable, but I decided to leave them alone for now, but was nice that the option was there. I'd explore that when I got some blades of different sizes down the road, to try out different configurations. I liked the modular nature of these things, and the fact that I could separate them and wield them as a dual pair of Dominix sabers if I wanted to.

Overall, I was pleased with my purchase, and with its timely arrival, and am looking forward to exploring all of this in greater detail when I have time. I also have some martial arts experience (mostly unarmed, but with a small amount of training in double sword and double stick fighting), and I am looking forward to learning some cool spins and other moves with these things, I'm sure it will help encourage me to get back into training too.

Here are the pics:

edit: Hmm, I am new to this pic posting thing. I have them in a public set on my flickr acct, and did the "insert image" thing, and copy/pasted the links to the pics. Not sure what I did wrong, but they're not showing up.

For now, here's a direct link to the 1st pic in the set on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/s_dunmer/5304735878/in/set-72157625576334333/

edit 2: added a pic showing the separated Dominix hilts, one on the right has new batteries in it.

edit 3: added a comedic shot.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:17:14 AM by Darth_Greyloch » Logged

Proud owner of: Phantom V2 (Fire Orange)
& Standard Issue (Adegan Silver)
Reviews: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=51.0
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=402.0

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 701

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 11:09:56 PM »

Thanks for the review.  If you'd like to see an increase in brightness, try new batteries. Also, our fire Orange looks much better in a Mid Grade or Heavy Grade option in my opinion.  I think the brightness of the Seoul P4 Amber (Fire Orange) is much more impressive in those blades.

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

Darth_Greyloch
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 12:42:10 AM »

Thanks for the review.  If you'd like to see an increase in brightness, try new batteries. Also, our fire Orange looks much better in a Mid Grade or Heavy Grade option in my opinion.  I think the brightness of the Seoul P4 Amber (Fire Orange) is much more impressive in those blades.

Cool, thanks for the added info, always nice to get an expert opinion. No worries though, I'm not sweating it as far as brightness goes, and I understand, new batteries are always going to look better. Hence my statement regarding this being more of an "initial impressions" thing out of the box.

I'll probably try out different lengths and blade qualities as I purchase more in the future, and determine what I like best. The heavy ultra-edge just sounded like the latest and greatest, and I like having something durable, so that's what I went for initially.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 11:03:07 AM »

I fixed the images in your post for you.  Thanks for the review, it really helps others know what to expect from our products.  Wink

Darth_Greyloch
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 04:46:33 PM »

I fixed the images in your post for you.  Thanks for the review, it really helps others know what to expect from our products.  Wink

Cool, thanks, Ultra! That looks a lot better, heh.

Yeah, the reviews I read before my purchase really helped me make up my mind, so I was happy to do what I could to contribute as well.

Edit: I had a lot of fun showing this saber off at the local New Year's Eve celebrations, and I told a few folks who asked about it where they could order some of their own. Definitely got a good amount of attention.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:57:48 PM by Darth_Greyloch » Logged

Ronin
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -1

Guardian Without Question

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 11:16:17 PM »

Wow, that orange looks awesome, rare, a nice break form the StarWars norm, I especially like the black hilt with it.

Dominix V2 - R|G|B| -FIXED Cheesy
Prophecy - Consular Green
Light Phantom Initate - Gaurdian Blue (little bro's)

Moe
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 05:25:38 AM »

if i would've known that this saber looked this sick in this color i would've ordered it as such and trust me the longer blades look cool too. The saber is all around great and wielding it is easy great duel saber

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: