Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: MHS Combinations (pic request + opinions wanted!)  (Read 2397 times)
Turel
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: February 15, 2012, 04:41:32 PM »

Hey guys, first time here on the forums but I've been perusing the site for a while to see what saber I want to get (when I have the money that is...  Tongue). I have a few things in mind and I've looked at the various pictures in the gallery but figured I'd make a post and ask for your opinions.

I absolutely LOVE the War Glaive emitter (both dark and standard) but unfortunately I don't like the majority of compatible hilts. So far I'm leaning toward a Dark Arbiter as the base for my saber, tis the msot interesting MHS compatible saber I've seen so far but I'm not sure if it'll be a little long. Given that it's already a 14" saber with the stock emitter, having this swapped out for a War Glaive (Which is 6") I'm not sure if that's gonna look a lil silly.

I'm also not sure whether to go with a Dark War Glaive emitter or the silver one, and what colour blades to use. Any suggestions and opinions would be much appreciated, and pics would be even better!

Oh, and in case it effects your opinion I was considering either Blazing Orange or Sentinel Yellow for the blade colour (and with FoC to whichever I didn't choose for the primary colour). I absolutely love yellow glowyness but I'm a little concerned that it wont look quite as vibrant as the orange. From past experiences with PC case lighting yellow hasn't shown it's colour as well as orange and I know photos aren't necessarily a good indication with these things.

Thanks in advance!  Smiley

-Turel

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:34:07 PM »

Well, I can say that with the Dark War Glaive standard build - I enjoy the length of its hilt.  I find that in single hand wields, the length of the hilt can extend back along the forearm which is a quite comfortable counterbalance.  In two-handed wields, a longer hilt would allow for good bracing when parrying.  It would also allow for good means of twirls of the hilt, etc., as your hands can pass around very easily.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »

I agree.  I think the colors you listed would look best in a Dark War Glaive.  I have a standard War Glaive in the works because I felt that Guardian Blue looked best with it.  I have huge hands and the War Glaive looked about where I needed it to be.  The Arbiter did look like it would be a great two handed saber but when I get trained to dual wield, I wanted something that was a little more balanced so I went with the War Glaive and I'll use my Overlord as my off hand or maybe my Archon.  Even if you don't go with a Dark War Glaive, I would certainly stick with the Dark colored hilts for Orange and Yellow. 

These are my opinions and I hope they help you.  Welcome to the forum.

Blue

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 06:09:59 PM »

Turel - have you thought about experimenting with the Lee filters that everyone talks about on here to get the color you want?

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Turel
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:15:13 PM »

Hey guys, cheers for the replies.  Smiley

Okay, well for hilt:

I agree on the dark colour, this is why I was thinking of using the Dark Arbiter as the base, and given that the top of this hilt is black I'd probably go with the Dark War Glaive emitter. I'm slightly torn between black blades and silver blades on this emitter though, although I guess it wouldn't cost me much more to get both and see for myself how they compare. I decided against the stock Dark War Glaive because I'm not a big fan of the hilt; I find it a little plain.

If you think the length of the Dark Arbiter Hilt with Dark War Glaive Emitter will be a suitable size for double-handed dueling then I'll probably stick with that. I do medieval reenactment and I usually use a hand-and-a-half sword on the field and usually two handed. I've never tried duel wielding before (I do sometimes use my hand-and-a-half along with shield though) and although it certainly looks cool it doesn't the fighting style appeal to me. I'm not really one for spinning a sword around in my hand (it seems somewhat unnecessary) and I do like to have the option of either striking with a single hand, for more reach, or placing a second hand on the pommel for more control.

As for the colour:

I've heard mention of the "LEE Filters" but I've not actually found much information of these so far (not that I've really had a good look) so I'm really not sure what to make of them and haven't factored them into my decision.

Ideally I would like a colour similar to this:

The core, as with all sabers, is white and the main colour you see is a bright yellow but orange at the very edges. Now I'm well aware that this variation in colour isn't really possible in reality with a single LED, but I'd like the closest representation of this I can get. So far the photos I've seen of blazing orange look a lot like this, but pictures can be very misleading, for example I'm still not sure how cores look in person. The pictures I've seen so far show the cores looking pretty much white but the core of my friends saber (which I think is a force fx saber) looks red/pink.

Cheers again guys!

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »

Don't judge using ForceFX pieces. Their LEDs are insignificant, compared to the power of the Ultrasabers LEDs...  wait, slipped into Vaderspeak.

Seriously, though, the Ultrasaber LEDs are insanely bright - so bright that you can blind yourself if you look at an unshielded LED.

Here's a link to LEE's site:  http://leefilters.com/lighting/lighting-resources.html
Someone said that  there's a code you can enter to get the swatches cheap, but I'm unsure about that as I've not done it.

If you order Adegan Silver, Ultrasabers does provide color discs - you might be able to email them (they are out of the office until tomorrow) at shipping@ultrasabers.com and ask what color discs they have.  They might be able to provide you discs for a different colored blade, like Sentinel Yellow or Blazing Orange, if you ask.

If Nero or MAV was here, they could tell you better than I.

The long hilt will be comparable to a zweihander or claymore, I'd guess.  The DWG emitter's choke point will give you a natural point at which to grip while single-handed.  I like the silver claws, myself - I think the light plays off of them well, better than it might off of the black claws.

Twirl/spin might be the wrong word - perhaps the better word would be to pivot?

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 12:52:19 AM »

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=4714.0

There's a thread that shows some of the things that filters can achieve.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: