Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark liberator/Standard Issue weight  (Read 1354 times)
Freakzilla6942
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: February 01, 2011, 05:21:44 AM »

I am kicking around the idea of making a hybrid staff using a Dark Liberator and a dark Standard Issue. the only things I've heard so far is that they are about equal weight but that the liberator is alittle top heavy especially next to the SI. the guy how told me that has a liberator staff and used to have a standard issue saber but he wasn't sure how much it would effect the staff if i used one of each. I'm thinking maybe if that is the only issue getting the 32" blade on the LIB and the 36 on the SI to balance the weights/lengths out (It appears the Liberator is a couple inches longer) anyone have any input that might be useful?

thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 22

Go green? Go red!

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:41:10 AM »

Hmm, I see your dilemma. The Liberator in my opinion is a nice saber, but I would have to say go with the SI. It is a more balanced saber and the weight is pretty great, especially if you are going to be doing a lot of dueling with it. I have played a bit with a Liberator, and I am pretty sure it is a little longer than the SI. My only issue with the Liberator is just that grove thing in the middle of the hilt. Not exactly my type of design. If you would get a staff, I think you would want something that you can be able to keep a good grip on without the risk of not landing the right hand position. Just my way of thinking. The whole blade thing, well, I think the 32" blades on a staff is something that should be used whether it be on an SI or any other saber just for the purpose of being able to handle it better. Yeah, you get more reach with the longer blade, but you have a lot better control I think with the shorter blade. Then again, also depends on your style. The hybrid idea though, that is pretty interesting. I dont think the longer blade would end up helping you in the end, though. I think it would have more of a chance of throwing you off. Then again, physics does have a funny way of working. I think if you just get used to both the hilts and learn how to wield them your own way, you should be all right. If you do end up going with a different blade size, I would say make the SI's blade a little shorter than the 32" blade for the Liberator. Hope you find a good balance!

Star Wars Society of San Antonio
Sith Shadow Council of Texas
San Antonio Lightsaber Academy

Freakzilla6942
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »

Yeah I am kind of hoping to get a hold of the shop boys and see if they would be willing to test the balance. my nephew is a trainee of the NY jedi group and they are trying to get a hold of a SI and a couple of different blade sizes. most of them make thier own custom sabers and either give away or sell their "training" sabers he has the liberator with a 36" blade but his buddy has a SI but he added Sound to it so changes the weight.  gonna try contacting them and see

Hmm, I see your dilemma. The Liberator in my opinion is a nice saber, but I would have to say go with the SI. It is a more balanced saber and the weight is pretty great, especially if you are going to be doing a lot of dueling with it. I have played a bit with a Liberator, and I am pretty sure it is a little longer than the SI. My only issue with the Liberator is just that grove thing in the middle of the hilt. Not exactly my type of design. If you would get a staff, I think you would want something that you can be able to keep a good grip on without the risk of not landing the right hand position. Just my way of thinking. The whole blade thing, well, I think the 32" blades on a staff is something that should be used whether it be on an SI or any other saber just for the purpose of being able to handle it better. Yeah, you get more reach with the longer blade, but you have a lot better control I think with the shorter blade. Then again, also depends on your style. The hybrid idea though, that is pretty interesting. I dont think the longer blade would end up helping you in the end, though. I think it would have more of a chance of throwing you off. Then again, physics does have a funny way of working. I think if you just get used to both the hilts and learn how to wield them your own way, you should be all right. If you do end up going with a different blade size, I would say make the SI's blade a little shorter than the 32" blade for the Liberator. Hope you find a good balance!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: