Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Article: "Old Republic will never be profitable."  (Read 14919 times)
Mansavage
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -9

« on: February 01, 2011, 07:52:59 AM »

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41669/LGC-2010-Old-Republic-will-never-be-profitable

I'm starting to grow very concerned about this game's prospects.  This isn't the first time I've heard something like this come out of a gaming news source.  No release date, no information on pricing, "I got a bad feeling about this."  The quote in the article that has me most concerned is:
The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas. They’re panicking. Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA. Probably at the level of the Sims Online. We all know it too.

Please, someone tell me everything is going to be ok.  I really don't want this to suck. I really really want this game to be fun.  Hopefully, they'll learn some lessons from recently failed MMO's from other companies.  *cough* square enix *cough cough*

Evil triumphs when good people are idle and do nothing.

Prophecy: RGB
Custom Dark Liberator: Consular Green
Oppressor: Blazing Red

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:52:06 PM »

It's not looking good right now, but hopefully Bioware can save this project.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:52:18 PM »

Honestly I'm worried that this may never get released.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 09:06:05 PM »

Nah, EA will release it, but if it doesn't make profit quickly, it may be just another failed EA mmo.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 09:07:50 PM »

God I hope not. I haven't been this excited about a game in a while.

(Sig by me!)

Mind Slice
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 11:07:59 PM »

Oh it'll definitely get released, the article was published November and as of last week Bioware says they're still shooting for a Spring release. Also, I don't know the background of that particular news site, but I swear I've seen more negative stories about ToR from that site than any other. Plus it seems like the sources for most of their stories are disgruntled former employees, not exactly the most reliable source. So I'll wait until it releases to find out whether or not the game can be profitable.

Sabers- Green Liberator, Orange Standard Issue (brother)

Mansavage
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -9

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 08:07:56 AM »

Oh it'll definitely get released, the article was published November and as of last week Bioware says they're still shooting for a Spring release. Also, I don't know the background of that particular news site, but I swear I've seen more negative stories about ToR from that site than any other. Plus it seems like the sources for most of their stories are disgruntled former employees, not exactly the most reliable source. So I'll wait until it releases to find out whether or not the game can be profitable.

I hope you're right.

Evil triumphs when good people are idle and do nothing.

Prophecy: RGB
Custom Dark Liberator: Consular Green
Oppressor: Blazing Red

wasd999
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 7

PJDC

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 03:00:44 AM »

They should think about Korean MMOs, taking four years just to create.
How long did it took them to make this then?

Because check this MMO from Korea.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCsmuMDXXcU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">Blade &amp; Soul HD</a>

This is INGAME GRAPHICS baby, they used crysis engine if I remember correctly.
If they can incorporate the same technique, it will revolutionize game play.
Especially the fighting system, imagine jedis and siths nuking it out just like
the above MMO!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:06:15 AM by wasd999 » Logged

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 04:04:26 AM »

That's pretty awesome.  And yes, I would LOVE to see a Jedi vs. Sith showdown with a system that awesome.

vash1128
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 05:26:47 AM »

Well, if there's any company that knows how to make RPGs, it's bioware.  I've never played a game by them I haven't liked, and I'm sure they're making sure ToR is polished when it's released, given the hype.  There are gonna be haters, but I'm not really concerned in the least.  I may be over-optimistic, but that's my two cents.

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 09:28:54 AM »

Just as long as they don't try to rush it like they did for Kotor 2. That game had way to many glitches and it still wasn't finished even after all the mods came out(there was suppose to be a battle droid factory that never came out). 

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »

Just as long as they don't try to rush it like they did for Kotor 2. That game had way to many glitches and it still wasn't finished even after all the mods came out(there was suppose to be a battle droid factory that never came out).  

Don't get me started on KOTOR 2. I still haven't played that game, thanks to a combination of the game being glitchy an Vista sucking. Even with the patch it crashes after the Create a Character screen...

I REALLY hope TOR doesn't have the same problem.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:52:13 PM by GeckoJedi » Logged

(Sig by me!)

Aelde Renn
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 08:27:22 PM »

With the delays in production, perhaps we could get lucky and they will decide to incorporate a single player option.  I've never liked the whole monthly subscription thing.  Now, if it were a case of only getting charged for the time spent online, that would be a little more palatable.  Of course, that would depend on how much they charged for the game in the first place.  If I am paying $60 or more, I don't expect to have to pay more just to play it.

Mind Slice
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 11:55:01 PM »

Luckily for us Bioware didn't make KOTOR 2. That game was developed by Obsidian who specializes in taking previously created games/engines and creating sequels for them. They're the same studio that made Fallout: New Vegas (as opposed to Fallout 3, which was developed by Bethesda).

Sabers- Green Liberator, Orange Standard Issue (brother)

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 09:17:50 AM »

With the delays in production, perhaps we could get lucky and they will decide to incorporate a single player option.  I've never liked the whole monthly subscription thing.  Now, if it were a case of only getting charged for the time spent online, that would be a little more palatable.  Of course, that would depend on how much they charged for the game in the first place.  If I am paying $60 or more, I don't expect to have to pay more just to play it.
I totally agree, I would be nice if this was a multi-platfom game because i have a ps3 and online play if free, true they have their share of glitches, BUT ITS FREE!

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: