Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: A few questions from someone on the fence  (Read 2173 times)
NavyGodzilla
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 9

« on: February 25, 2012, 01:38:01 PM »

So, I've been on the fence about getting TOR.  I will say this before asking my questions, I prefer pen and paper rpgs, and did not have a great time with WoW (It really felt I was just doing the same thing over and over, though I know WoW lacks a story and TOR has an actual storyline.)

So now my questions.
1) How customizable are the characters both in costuming and in skill set?  Will one Jedi Guardian be different from another in more ways then skin colour such as different builds and skill sets?   One of my biggest problems with WoW is for the most part all characters looked the exact same except for the color of their weapon glow at each end game level.  Is this the same thing, everyone of the Jedi Guardians/Sith Warriors looking for the same armor and only having a different lightsaber colour?

2) How repetitive does the game get?  Example am I at level 3 collecting 10 whomp rat tails, level 15 collecting 20 dewback eyes, and level 30 100 sarlacc tentacles?  To be fair, this is a very minor concern, if combat is fun then it matters very little.

3) Can you solo in the game effectively?  Being in the Navy I'll have odd hours and might not be able to get into groups.

4) How is the overall player atmosphere?  Is it relaxed in a casual gamer style where folks don't get uppity because your build isn’t the most optimized or you make a mistake during a run, or is it a hardcore atmosphere like Call of Duty and WoW?

5) Would the following stats meet gaming requirements?   
    - AMD Phenom 8400 Triple Core Processor 2.10ghz
    -4g RAM
    - NVidia GeForce 9200

Thanks for the assist folks. 

Own: AB Dark Standard,  BR Consular,BR Dark Liberator, FO Blue Liberator, GB Dark Standard, GB Monarch, PO Phantasm

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:21:52 PM »

I played WoW for about 5-6 years as a pally healer for a raid guild. I got the beta invite for SWTOR and ,while my WoW account is still active, Havent logged back into WoW since December of last year. The story lines are very good and well done. The game is very vocal. For every quest line there are different voice actors , for every choice you make as a character there is a vocal response. And there are ALOT of choices you make along your story. The game follows your character as you progress through your individual story line. By individual story line i mean that you decide the outcome of events as your story unfolds . Not everyone will make the same choices as you so this really is your story line. The graphics are excellent and have more realism then WoWs. On to your questions
1) The characters are very customizasble. You pick size/hight skin color , hair colo , scars , tatoos etc upon creation. The gear per class can be made or looted. There are many similaritys in most the gear of a certain class , I.E. Jedis wear robes, however there are customizable veriations that are socketed and can be upgraded by changing out individual components. So if you find a piece of gear you really like the look of , you can keep it through out leveling up by upgrading it.This is also true of some equipment such as Light Sabers. There are loads of different patterns and looks. Also your saber / blaster colors can be changed by using different chrystals. Typically there are multiple color choices with the stats your toon will need.
Each class has 3 skill trees similar to WoW. Depending on how you want to set up your toon , you put the points you aquire into the trees.
2) There is repetitivness in the game. Killing X number of a certain enemy still happens but typically as a side quest. For example im going from point A to point B to trip a switch for a main quest hub. I get a side quest that says kill X number of enemys in that area. By the time I get to point B I have killed that number. You have to clear the way there anyway! You will want to decimate large numbers anyway as you need the exp.
3) You can solo ALOT of the game. However there are Flash Points ( Instances) and Heroic Areas for group play. Most of the time you do not have to do these , however the exp , and equipment drops REALLY help. You aquire companion characters ( NPCs) to aid you along your story , some take a direct roll in the story line. You can have one with you helping you out weather by DPSing, Healing ,or Crafting your Gear. So you really have a two man team going most of the game.
4) I would say overall atmosphere is casual , however im sure that would change if you were to enter a raiding guild. I havent had anyone get mad in a Flash Point Due to mistakes. They are learning to. However im sure in a Hardcore raid Guild you will need to know your stuff and be speced a certain way.
5) I do belive your comp is good for the game  , you can find the game requirements on SWTORs website.
Hope this helps. I REALLY like this game!

dark side points please

swam
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -61

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:42:29 PM »

1) Character creator is somewhere between wow and eve. There are a lot of preset options and looks and you can mix and match to get a unique looking character, but you cant go into each option and do minute adjustments such as chin height, width, etc.
For gear and costuming right now its good, but it is about to get better. There is a type of gear that is modable. You get a piece you like the look of and it is very easy to upgrade that gear as you level. However for end game items, its a little more limited. However they are changing the game soon so end game gear will be able to have their stats changed out with other modable gear. they are also adding a hue to chest option soon, which will give the option of matching all your gears color to your chest piece. all this together is going to make every character very diverse.

2) While there are only so many different types of quests, they do a very good job of breaking them up and making it seem interesting. You wont see very many kill 10 rats or gather 20 tentacles. Instead the quest giver will be like. hey go kill this dude who is being a dick to us. then on your way to get that dude you will see his little minions and when you kill one on your way to him you will get a bonus quest of kill 10 minions. you dont have to kill them but chances are you will on the way to doing the quest so bam, you end up doing an extra quest that you dont have to pick up or turn in. you just kill the guys and get xp. or if you dont feel like it you can ignore the minions and go straight for the main quest objective.
The combat its self is by far my favorite of any mmo I have played.

3)Yes you can solo. I have leveled to max both solo and with a group. on every planet there are group quests but they are not required. flash points as well are group only, unless you out level them. 

4) Atmosphere will depend very strongly on what you want. Some guilds are very hard core anal about spec and gear and all that jazz. others are casual and dont care. the big thing you will want to do is find the proper home. (being a navy guy you should skip the search and join my guild lol, myself included we have a few crusty navy bastards already)

5) yes your comp can play the game. you seem well above the required specs.

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core or better
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better
RAM:
Windows XP: 1.5GB
NOTE: 2GB if your computer uses on-board graphics processing.
Windows Vista/Windows 7: 2GB
Video Card:
ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
DVD-ROM:
8X or better

hope this helped!

NavyGodzilla
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 10:26:18 PM »

Thanks for the answers guys.  I did decide to pick it up, and I will say it is fun.  Though I was slightly annoyed that it took me till level 10 to finally get a lightsaber.  Still getting the hanging of it, but it is enjoyable. 

Own: AB Dark Standard,  BR Consular,BR Dark Liberator, FO Blue Liberator, GB Dark Standard, GB Monarch, PO Phantasm

Jenny
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 56

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 11:10:33 PM »

Alas.  My poor computer won't even run Champions Online, so there's about zero chance it will run TOR.  Sad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: