Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: "Jedi" and "Sith" Style Sabers  (Read 16327 times)
Goldleader
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 124

I am a humble student of the force

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »

A jedi's lightsaber is concealed behind their robes on their person. If a jedi settled a peace negotiation using intimidation(manipulating fear) he would not keep the comforting, peaceful, voice that oversees a settlement and acts as a conscience to those involved. Manipulating this fear could cause future conflict and be more destructive if one of those involved feels threatened. Thats why jedi conceal their lightsabers in the first place.
Sith however like Maul was a walking fear factor.(However leading to his demise when he decided to gloat to a thought-to-be doomed Obi)
Dooku used intimidation while he flashed his darkside power/curved saber offering a chance for his would be opponents to flee or submit(as in ep.II)
Grievous would try, but would flee if intimidation was not on his side.

All of which were not jedi techniques.
On a less technical note, using intimidation only ever got me darkside pointsXP

))]____o_))))))|_]=[|                               )

My Collection:
Savior/Obsidian
Archon/Obsidian
Arbiter/Obsidian
Bellicose/Obsidian
...and a whole lot of stunts...

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 06:09:53 PM »

Dooku is a perfect example of a Jedi with a clawed saber. He built the saber in the movies BEFORE he fell to the darkside. All he did when he became a Sith was replace the blue crystal with a red one.

Someone also mentioned the Dark Shock being both a Jedi and Sith saber, and I have to agree. It has a very "Qui-Gon" look, yet still very different.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Goldleader
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 06:33:21 PM »

But it wasn't a claw really, Dooku being described as a expert duelist(somewhat close to resembling a fencer) it was a emitter guard, not a 'claw' per se.
I see what your saying though, as a sith he used it for that purpose, added to that serious, quick-draw dark side to his saber

My Collection:
Savior/Obsidian
Archon/Obsidian
Arbiter/Obsidian
Bellicose/Obsidian

qroon
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 43

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »

But it wasn't a claw really, Dooku being described as a expert duelist(somewhat close to resembling a fencer) it was a emitter guard, not a 'claw' per se.
I see what your saying though, as a sith he used it for that purpose, added to that serious, quick-draw dark side to his saber

It's not just a claw, it's a good old can opener!

Arakan Steele
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 17

AKA - Darth Xion

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »

Dooku is a perfect example of a Jedi with a clawed saber. He built the saber in the movies BEFORE he fell to the darkside. All he did when he became a Sith was replace the blue crystal with a red one.

Someone also mentioned the Dark Shock being both a Jedi and Sith saber, and I have to agree. It has a very "Qui-Gon" look, yet still very different.

As Goldleader said, it's not a claw. And he did not use it to intimidate. A few key points from wookieepedia:

"The emitter featured both an angular blade guard and a thumb trigger that activated the weapons dual-phase setting, shortening the blade for a close quarters surprise attack."

"Dooku constructed his lightsaber shortly after becoming a Jedi Master, deliberately using a design that had little connection to the standard lightsaber he had wielded as a Knight. The Master had entertained a long interest in such designs, including a short, handwritten comment to that effect in his copy of the The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force next to the brief description of a curved-hilt lightsaber."

"As the political leader of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, Dooku rarely engaged in battle, and his lightsaber remained largely idle."

When he did reach for his lightsaber it was to duel with another armed opponent. But again, it was never constructed in any attempt to intimidate.

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red (Xion's Flame)

"Who's the more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »

When he did reach for his lightsaber it was to duel with another armed opponent. But again, it was never constructed in any attempt to intimidate.

I know, but it's still a claw. Yes, it's purpose was to act as an emitter guard, rather than intimidate, but it still was somewhat intimidating. Even if that wasn't it's intended purpose. Wink

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Temple
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 90

Jedi Battle Knight

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2012, 08:58:15 PM »

Um isnt the lightsaber in general intimidating... i mean everyone oohs n ahhs when a jedi whips out his glowstick....

A jedi Must sometimes prepare for war, and prepared we are ~ Temple

Goldleader
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 11:27:09 PM »

Dooku as powerful as he was always demonstrated dominance in some manner following his encouragment to his challengers to surrender or retreat. He usually tried to avoid combat unless it was s last ditch effort to prevent the enemy from going further, then he would engage them in combat. He put on a threatening dangerous act to try and overt battle, however the old man trying to intimdate some of the best jedi didnt really ever work out:P

My Collection:
Savior/Obsidian
Archon/Obsidian
Arbiter/Obsidian
Bellicose/Obsidian

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 01:09:36 AM »

First off, I'll just say that ANY saber can be wielded by a Sith or Jedi.  I've seen stereotypical Sith sabers look great in Jedi colors and vice versa.

That said, I agree that there are types of hilts that give off a certain "feel."  Silvery hilts appear more Jedi-themed while darker ones tend to work better as "Sith" sabers.  In addition, I would say that the details are key - stylish, edgy features like slanted emitters or gold plating tend to strike me as less Jedi-like than simple, utilitarian hilts (compare the Bellicose to the Consular for instance).

Naturally some builds have features which give it an aggressive look, for instance the claws on the War Glaive and Raven.  At the same time, you have other hilts like the Overlord which seem to match up with more subtle Sith Lords, someone more like Dooku or Cronfios (from the RP board).

If I had to make a list, I'd say the following:

Jedi:  Silver stunts (Aeon, SI, Liberator, Prophecy), Consular, Shock, Guardian, Archon.
Sith:  Dark stunts (Dominix, DSI, Dark Liberator, Dark Prophecy), Dark War Glaive, Raven, Overlord.
Either:  Bellicose, Bane, Catalyst.

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 01:54:44 AM »

That said, I agree that there are types of hilts that give off a certain "feel."  Silvery hilts appear more Jedi-themed while darker ones tend to work better as "Sith" sabers.  In addition, I would say that the details are key - stylish, edgy features like slanted emitters or gold plating tend to strike me as less Jedi-like than simple, utilitarian hilts (compare the Bellicose to the Consular for instance).

Again, Sidious used a very shiny, but simple saber, whereas Windu used a saber that precisely matches your description of a saber that strikes you as Sith-like. So really any saber can look Sith (I would use crimson there instead of maroon, but to each his own Wink) or Jedi depending on the point of view. My view is that sabers are inanimate objects (perhaps with the exception of Anakin's) and the user entirely determines the perception of the weapon. There are stereotypes, sure, but I prefer to look beyond them. In short: perception is relative.

no

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 10:49:55 AM »

Again, Sidious used a very shiny, but simple saber, whereas Windu used a saber that precisely matches your description of a saber that strikes you as Sith-like. So really any saber can look Sith (I would use crimson there instead of maroon, but to each his own Wink) or Jedi depending on the point of view. My view is that sabers are inanimate objects (perhaps with the exception of Anakin's) and the user entirely determines the perception of the weapon. There are stereotypes, sure, but I prefer to look beyond them. In short: perception is relative.

Indeed, that was my first point.  I love to see people breaking the stereotypes (as shown with the Sidious and Windu hilts).  At the same time, something so fancy as an electrum plated saber (like Windu's) seems far too gaudy for a Jedi.  These characters were partially based on Buddhist monks (and partially on Samurai) so we're talking a group of people who would carry the most bare bones, simplistic weapons on them.  The whole point of being a Jedi is that the lightsaber is your only real possession - a vow of poverty which once again comes from a monastic root.

I could see someone like Anakin having a fancy hilt, as the boy never really seems to learn the meaning of humility (at least not til his end), but the core of a Jedi's beliefs seems to point towards more humble styled hilts.

Zurth
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 35

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 01:00:26 AM »

Naturally some builds have features which give it an aggressive look, for instance the claws on the War Glaive and Raven.
I think I've seen a few Raven's that made excellent Jedi sabers, Despite having claws.

Jedi:  Silver stunts (Aeon, SI, Liberator, Prophecy), Consular, Shock, Guardian, Archon.
Sith:  Dark stunts (Dominix, DSI, Dark Liberator, Dark Prophecy), Dark War Glaive, Raven, Overlord.
Either:  Bellicose, Bane, Catalyst.

I think the Consular is another one of the Eitheror sabers. It can be pretty scary, but also a good Jedi saber. I would certainly enjoy it as a Jedi Saber Grin and Initiates make great off-hand sabers for both sides (:

Lightsabers:
Dark Initiate V2: BR
Dark Initiate V2 LE: CG, VA
Dark Liberator V2: AS
Red SI Battle Saber: V2 FO

Luna
Knight Commander

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2012, 01:04:50 AM »

I think the Consular is another one of the Eitheror sabers. It can be pretty scary, but also a good Jedi saber. I would certainly enjoy it as a Jedi Saber Grin and Initiates make great off-hand sabers for both sides (:

I would love to see a BR Sith Consular! Never thought of that until now....

no

Zurth
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 35

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 01:08:25 AM »

I would love to see a BR Sith Consular! Never thought of that until now....

Am I the only one that saw it in an Evil Environment? I might get one in Orange (: Maybe around April where I can work more.

Lightsabers:
Dark Initiate V2: BR
Dark Initiate V2 LE: CG, VA
Dark Liberator V2: AS
Red SI Battle Saber: V2 FO

Luna
Knight Commander

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 01:11:35 AM »

Am I the only one that saw it in an Evil Environment? I might get one in Orange (: Maybe around April where I can work more.

Well Kham has one in BH, but that color never really seems Sith to me despite the name.... if you get one, post plenty of pics Wink I think it would look beastly in FO, PO, or BR for a Sithy saber.

no

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: