Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: painting advice for the alloy hilts  (Read 2430 times)
DarthHomework
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -2

« on: February 07, 2011, 06:47:31 PM »

I used "metal" quality (Rustoleum) spray paint on my hilts. Red came out great on the aluminum finish hilt and in order to get red to show on the anodized hilt I had to spray it silver/gray first.
Both look pretty good overall but the paint comes off really easily. What paint would stick best with each finish or should I just be happy that it comes off at all so I can customize and recustomize?

-Darth HomeWork, Lord of the Essay

FYI- The reason I care is that I have 6 kids and just purchased 5 sabers (the 6 month old wont grip the hilt, darn baby). Needless to say, each one wants a SPECIAL touch from Dad to make it personal.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 06:58:26 PM »

Rustoleum is good stuff. To keep it from chipping try some clear coat.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 22

Go green? Go red!

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 07:24:16 PM »

Yeah, you usually need a primer for the darker hilts. The rustoleum is good for to slap on to just a regular colored alluminum hilt. For the details, I would say maybe trying regular paint instead of spray paint. You can tape certain parts of the saber to not coat it, and work on other parts. Give it a couple of layers and it comes out great. Its good for detail inside grooves and such. Not that expensive either. A little can was maybe about 5 bucks.

Star Wars Society of San Antonio
Sith Shadow Council of Texas
San Antonio Lightsaber Academy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: