Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian Questions (2)  (Read 5325 times)
Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« on: March 23, 2012, 04:59:06 AM »

Okay, so I've been fooling around with my Arbiter and it's FoC equipped Obsidian, and I've hit on a couple little problems. Now, I've heard SY sucks battery power, and from what I've seen it does seem to eat batteries kinda quick, but I haven't had a chance to run it against a fully charged 1st gen Obsidian to know for sure yet.

I've run into basically 2 problems.
1) I'm getting a lot of CRC errors trying to load soundfonts. I mean a LOT. I've been able to successfully load Classic, Obi-Ani, and the Default, but nothing I tried in between those would go through without the CRC error. Rain Sizzle, Indy, Steel Sword, Ep V.... all CRC error.
2) I've had the battery pack stick in the hilt twice now. First time I pushed it out, no problems. Second time, pushed it out, started swapping fonts, got some CRC trouble again, and found my swings no longer registering... I successfully reloaded the Default font, but it's still not picking up swings... though I think it's gotten 1 or 2 through, but I'm not sure. They were faint if they did, and they wouldn't go off again with the same motion, so it might have been my ears playing tricks. It won't trigger clash either.

Now, I also happen to know my batteries ARE running low... because when I trigger the lockup it shuts off, and I found out on the first day I had it that FoC Obsidian will shut down if you trigger the lockup and it has low batteries. My main question here is this:

Could / Are my low batteries responsible for the sudden cut out of my clash and swing, or did I somehow do something when I pushed out the battery pack with a pencil?

I'm pretty sure I didn't hit anything on the board pushing it out, I made sure not to push on the wires, just the edge of the board where nothing was there to damage.... so I don't THINK I could have busted it (lol) but if anyone can tell me before the couple hours it takes to recharge my batteries goes by, I might sleep a little sounder tonight. lol

Thanks guys!

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Stockton
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 67

Leave Your Legacy - Light side point please!

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »

This makes me scared to change my fonts :/

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »

I guess I'd try the newly charged batteries first - that tends to cause problems in many different situations.

Apart from that, it's likely some programming glitches.  I've seen a few times either Artorius or I will load a font on, only to have some kind of issue much like what you described.  We typically reload the font (or the default one) and it fixes it.

Sorry if that isn't helpful... lol

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 12:33:05 PM »

If the battery pack was "stuck" that means that it was getting resistance from something.  Since it's smooth plastic inside of a smooth metal shaft it's unlikely that something was caught, though it is still possible.  Generally you don't want to force physical components around.  There is always potential this way to damage something.  Crimp a wire, weaken the connection, damage a sensor etc.

Let's assume it's not that stuff.  Low batteries are a possibility.  If the board can't maintain it's "power on" status while it's linked to a computer that would certainly explain the errors and lack of swings.  Try also restoring the factory default settings for the various swing and clash sensitivities as it may "reboot" the board.

Let us know if any of these solutions yield positive results.

Cheers.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 04:09:56 PM »

Threw fresh batts in it this morning, reset everything to factory defaults, and loaded Ep II on it. Seems to be working just fine now! Clash is back, Swing is back, font loaded fine. Must have just been the low batteries. *whew* lol

I am not a color...

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 05:15:04 PM »

Threw fresh batts in it this morning, reset everything to factory defaults, and loaded Ep II on it. Seems to be working just fine now! Clash is back, Swing is back, font loaded fine. Must have just been the low batteries. *whew* lol

Good!  It always causes that terrible dread feeling, when your saber starts glitching.  My Luke V2 has been on the fritz lately... it's currently being repaired by our own Master Artorius (in his precious little bit of free time, might I add).

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »

Very true. Mine had that funny smell from the start, and then I read about a guy who plugged his in and had it start smoking and crap out, and mine started to fritz and I was like 'uuuuuuuh not good' lol Then I realized I had been swapping back and forth between sets of batteries as they got low and recharged and I had probably been doing all my font loading on half dead batteries or more. XD

It gets better though, I tested it this morning without tightening the blade in (took it out last night), forgot for a second, took a back spin, and launched my initiate blade at the wall. I think I speared Goku. Good thing he's a poster! LOL

I am not a color...

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:51:50 PM »

It gets better though, I tested it this morning without tightening the blade in (took it out last night), forgot for a second, took a back spin, and launched my initiate blade at the wall. I think I speared Goku. Good thing he's a poster! LOL

Aw come on, why Goku?  The man busts his butt to defend Earth... you should have gone for Yajirobe or something Tongue

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 05:58:29 PM »

But Yajirobi is a production cel! Besides, it was an accident! And I mean it's not like I hit Vegeta... Cheesy

I am not a color...

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »

But Yajirobi is a production cel! Besides, it was an accident! And I mean it's not like I hit Vegeta... Cheesy

That definitely would have been worse!

I still haven't taken the Starkiller font off Maverick.  It just fits with the yellow blade so well!  Plus I like having contrast between that and the default Obsidian on my Luke.

NinjaJesus
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 61

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 07:28:51 PM »

Very true. Mine had that funny smell from the start, and then I read about a guy who plugged his in and had it start smoking and crap out, and mine started to fritz and I was like 'uuuuuuuh not good' lol Then I realized I had been swapping back and forth between sets of batteries as they got low and recharged and I had probably been doing all my font loading on half dead batteries or more. XD

Yeah that guy was me. lol.  My Bane soundboard started smoking and it fried my whole board when I tried to download the fonts on the saber.  But I got it repaired and it's all good now.  Cheesy

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »

Man, I felt for you when I read that. I knew US would patch it up for you, but still. That bites having your board go up in smoke.

Currently, I'm running Ep II on my Arbiter, and Otenbasan has a mixture from several fonts on it. I'm planning to redo her soundset soon though. I actually have a lot of sound work to do. I want to see if I can get Shoto in a format that will work for Obsidian and put that on the Arby, then I need to redo the set for Otenbasan, and I still have to cobble one together for the secret project saber. That last one is about half done though, so it's not so bad. Smiley I LOVE getting an individual voice for each saber. Smiley

I am not a color...

NinjaJesus
Knight Ensign

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 11:26:36 PM »

Man, I felt for you when I read that. I knew US would patch it up for you, but still. That bites having your board go up in smoke.

Currently, I'm running Ep II on my Arbiter, and Otenbasan has a mixture from several fonts on it. I'm planning to redo her soundset soon though. I actually have a lot of sound work to do. I want to see if I can get Shoto in a format that will work for Obsidian and put that on the Arby, then I need to redo the set for Otenbasan, and I still have to cobble one together for the secret project saber. That last one is about half done though, so it's not so bad. Smiley I LOVE getting an individual voice for each saber. Smiley

Are you using the EP II Age of Battle fonts or regular EP II fonts?  I haven't seen anything regarding separate EP II fonts.  All I have from the EP area is EP I, EP IV, and EP VI.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 11:32:25 PM »

Just plain, simple, Ep II. (point to anyone that gets the obsidian joke in there) Best I can tell, it's more or less the same as Age of Battle but without all the background 'splosions. Smiley

I am not a color...

NinjaJesus
Knight Ensign

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 02:57:09 AM »

Where do you get it?  All I can find is EP I, EP IV, and EP VI. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: