Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New design I'm working on.  (Read 4826 times)
Darth_Ventus
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

Ask questions often. The world is full of puzzles

« on: March 27, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »

If anyone out there has visited starwars.wikia.com and read the article on Lightsabers, you'll come across a mention of how hard it is to wield a lightsaber by anyone other than a force-sensitive.  It makes a mention that though the blade itself is immaterial, (being composed of plasma), it would be difficult to use a sword like that... it would be something akin to swinging a flashlight and hoping that whatever the light shines on would be cut in two.  But it also says that the Lightsaber's blade generates a strong gyroscopic effect.  That got me thinking... would it be possible to fit an Ultrasaber with a device that generates this gyroscopic effect?  It would certainly add to the realism without all the dangers of trying to create a real one.
I tried to get a sense of what a gyroscope felt like by using a sander with a flat square bottom, then I attached my lightsaber to the machine while it was plugged in.  And I will tell you, that was an odd experience but my swings and attacks were so very accurate it was amazing.  I invited my best friend to duel me using the same set up, by his opinion it should be fairly simple to create a gyroscope out of a weight attached to a small electric motor.  But the biggest problem with using a gyroscope in this fashion is the sound.  There is hardly any electric motors that are minimal when it comes to sound.
But then I had an idea!  I modified the volume of the sound being emitted by the obsidian soundboard in my lightsaber and that did the trick!
While the soundboard is active there is not a single thing that can be heard from the device!

Tell me what you guys think!  Do you think this whole gyroscope scenario would be worth trying to get through to the Ultrasabers management?

He who asks questions, admits he does not know the answer.
He who refuses to ask questions, must admit that he never will.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »

It has merit; point for a creative idea.

I wouldn't have any idea about how to build it but it sounds neat.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 04:45:53 PM »

I don't believe that the gyroscope idea will fly with Ultra Sabers. For one it's a theory, another point (the main one) being that all Ultra Sabers are made combat ready/capable. I don't believe they would add an element to their designs that would possibly cause injuries by a person not being able to control their saber this casing a strike to go wrong. That could open up cause for lawsuits and that would be horrible for their business. It is an interesting idea, don't get me wrong. Just imputing my opinion.

dark side points please

Darth_Ventus
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

Ask questions often. The world is full of puzzles

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 04:49:11 PM »

I understand your meaning about the danger, but I don't mean attaching a sander to the lightsaber, more like just adding a gyroscope inside of the saber.  Mine is already modified with the design, it was a bit of a tight fit trying to find the room, but I think it was totally worth it.

He who asks questions, admits he does not know the answer.
He who refuses to ask questions, must admit that he never will.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:42:49 PM »

I know there's customs out there with forced feedback vibration motors in them, so this seems like an idea that totally fits. I'm surprised I haven't heard of anyone doing it before, it really sounds like a great setup to me. I'd love to try one out if I ever actually came across a saber with it installed. Dunno if US would add it as a feature though, they really try to keep costs down and it sounds like this wouldn't be cheap... at least not with labor costs. lol

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Xenex
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 11:44:08 PM »

Just my 2 cents but If Im not mistaken, Ssome of Vaders vaults sabers came with the feedback moters, but I could be wrong about that..

What are emotions? Truely to understand the nature of the force one must not have emotions...however to truely ultise the force one must understand them...lacking my own emotions I draw my power from others, I draw power from all emotions from anyone and thus am unbeatable...

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:48:02 PM »

So... how does the gyroscope mod handle?  Does it stabilize the hilt, or make it wobbly like one of those squiggle pens?

Remy Lost
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 8

Being Lost is no excuse not to Plunder as you go

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 01:25:20 AM »

I have a bunch of left over RC helicopters that don't fly.  They have pretty small motors, something that would fit inside a saber hilt.  If your interested in some of the motors just drop me a PM.  If you attached an off center weight it would wobble like the motor that causes cell phone vibrations.  A balanced motor would create a gyroscopic effect.

Dominix V2 LE Adegan Silver

You can rent the use of my skills but my loyalty can only be earned.

turiansniper
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 28

light side please

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 02:50:13 AM »

This just reignited a long buried thought I had many years ago. The first time I read about a lightsaber's gyroscopic effect I imaged the plasma which is contained in the blade field would shift up and down as the blade is in motion and I immediately thought about this really old toy I had when I was a kid.

Not sure what it's called anymore but it was a enclosed thin plastic tube about 2cm across and about 50cm long with vents like the pommels to let sound through on both ends, inside the tube was a cylindrical block which would slide up and down the tube as you twirled it and as it moved from the middle to either end it would create a whoop sound in crescendo and as it traveled back to the middle it would be a diminuendo.

I realise that the sound created by this toy is different to a lightsabers but my feelings tell me that the block sliding would create a similar  gyroscopic effect. 

Of course this was before I knew about this wonderful world of sabers we have here and as a little kid I could only dream of what a real lightsaber would look like so I never pursued it any further but maybe someone here can put this idea to good use.

SY Archon v2 - Darigaaz, The Igniter
VA Consular - Crosis, The Purger
GB Guardian - Dromar, The Banisher
BR Raven - Rith, The Awakener

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 03:58:20 AM »

This just reignited a long buried thought I had many years ago. The first time I read about a lightsaber's gyroscopic effect I imaged the plasma which is contained in the blade field would shift up and down as the blade is in motion and I immediately thought about this really old toy I had when I was a kid.

Not sure what it's called anymore but it was a enclosed thin plastic tube about 2cm across and about 50cm long with vents like the pommels to let sound through on both ends, inside the tube was a cylindrical block which would slide up and down the tube as you twirled it and as it moved from the middle to either end it would create a whoop sound in crescendo and as it traveled back to the middle it would be a diminuendo.

I realise that the sound created by this toy is different to a lightsabers but my feelings tell me that the block sliding would create a similar  gyroscopic effect. 

Of course this was before I knew about this wonderful world of sabers we have here and as a little kid I could only dream of what a real lightsaber would look like so I never pursued it any further but maybe someone here can put this idea to good use.

I know that this is about making a real lightsaber but I feel it's still relevant.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSNubaa7n9o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSNubaa7n9o</a>

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Skiorh
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -10

The Force shall set me Free

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 07:48:47 AM »

If any of you have tried one of the Dyna-Flex trainers, that is a true force-feedback gyroscope.  They're a tennis ball size gyroscope that you can train your grip strength with, although 5 mins with one makes you sweat.  Something like that in a saber would feel very different, but sort of how I imagine the aforementioned effect would be like.

Phantasm staff (2 x Aeon V3LE, Bane\'s Heart-Orange FoC, Arbiter Pommels, Vented coupler, Obsidian - red switch)
Red Liberator v2 (Blazing Red)

Niassa
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 31

Niassa - Lady of the Force's Will

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 07:26:47 PM »

A thought that occurred to me. I'd suspect that any of the larger v3 sabers should easily hold this. A model plane/helo motor or a hard drive motor should be more than good enough for this project. Smiley Hard drive motors are fairly small, too, making them an easy fit.

"I am the Force's ally - My only desire is the Force's Will." - Niassa, Corellian Jedi with Dark leanings, but always serves the light.

Sabers:
SRD Prophecy v3
GB Liberator v2 - 616 Sound
BR Dominix v2

CZ3RO
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -178

"There were lessons the Jedi couldn't teach me."

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 08:38:44 PM »

Isn't the gyroscopic force of a "real" lightsaber supposed to make it harder to wield?  Not sure why you'd want your saber to be more difficult to wield unless you're a real force user.  Smiley

Grab a bicycle wheel by the axle and hold it at arms length, have a friend give it a spin and then move your arms around - how it handles is how I expect a lightsaber to handle - it has a mind of it's own and lots of weird inertia. 

.ZERO.

"The Jedi and their 'Order' betrayed the Chancellor and the Republic - hunting them down isn't about revenge; this is justice."
- Fane Cinden, Imperial Inquisitioner

moonknight75
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 01:31:16 PM »

CZ3RO has a point there with the bicycle wheel theory, I have actually tried this in the past (waaaayyy paaassstt, like back in science club in High School, LOL  Tongue) the really cool thing is that you can actually "control" it... to a point... it is actually being able to follow the momentum created by the gyroscopic effect, which if you are able to feel it... and follow it... alot of force can actually be created behind it! What I mean is that if you are following what can only be described as a "wave" and run into something you will really whack whatever you run into with feel it! Which would make sense with the gyroscopic effect of a plasma balde and weilding a lightsaber... it would allow a person of any size to produce a massive blow to an opponent  Shocked despite a size disadvantage as well as being able to allow the lightsaber to accelerate quickly by using the momentum instead of fighting it... ever wonder why lightsaber duels have alot of spinning? They're following the saber! Kind of reminds me of the idea behind alot of movement in martial arts or even things like parkour, you use the momentum produced by a body in motion, without resistance, but  instead guidance, to create a very smooth, very fast motion that almost seems to be supernatural... But these are only my theories, any thoughts?

"The key element of the Consular’s story is mystery, using intelligence and courage to seek the truth."

_//Light Side Points are welcome!\\_

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 05:44:28 PM »

That sounds like a reasonable theory.  My only question is; how are non-force users able to wield lightsabers then?  I know they're never up to par with trained force users, but it sounds like they're really more likely to lose control of the saber than anything else if the gyroscopic effect is that strong.  If they're constantly being pulled around by the gyroscopic effect, it seems that holding it still would be a huge amount of effort, even for a force user.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: