Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: How many do not use safety gear?  (Read 4684 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 03:31:48 AM »

GREAT CHOICES.

For simple every day protection, I know you can go further but unless you're really hitting one another this is almost exactly what M.J and I use.

I use Dirtbike gloves but she has a pair of lightly padded gloves like that top one. (I could really do without the guilt of hurting my wife; she'd also Tap me back that's for damn sure.)

Our Eye Pro are Yellow lensed shooting glasses and while they haven't taken a stray lightsaber, I did repeatedly shoot them with my brother-in-law's high powered Air-soft rifle and they didn't break.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 03:46:26 AM »

I do not, but I am a crazy former Marine. That being said I'm starting a dueling club so safety for others is paramount.

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 03:53:06 AM »

Nero and I don't but we also have a significant amount of experience.  Though I will probably start wearing a mouth guard when we duel. I have had one tooth broken by an Ultrasaber, I can't afford to relive that!

This being said I am an awful example to follow in this respect.  Headgear and forearm guards should always be worn.  Even by very experienced saber enthusiasts.

Cheers.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 04:10:24 AM »

Nero and I don't but we also have a significant amount of experience.  Though I will probably start wearing a mouth guard when we duel. I have had one tooth broken by an Ultrasaber, I can't afford to relive that!

This being said I am an awful example to follow in this respect.  Headgear and forearm guards should always be worn.  Even by very experienced saber enthusiasts.

Cheers.

There you have it people, straight from a Master and I'm sure Master Nero would agree.

PROTECT YOURSELF! Dental work is not cheap. Grin

Nothing would ruin your saber wielding experience like the loss of an eye of a shattered knuckle.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 04:20:31 AM »

Right now I only duel my brother and with our conflicting schedules it isn't very often. We don't wear any protection. I mean hey, we're brothers! We've knocked the snot out of each other on more than one occasion before we had sabers.

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 04:34:41 AM »

“Sitting in the hospital that night, I really wished I’d been wearing a visor. I played 21 years and never had an eye injury… The first thing that went through my mind was, ‘I don’t want to lose my eyesight.’ I really believe guys should be wearing them. I didn’t say that a week ago.”
- NHL player Steve Yzerman on the eye injury he suffered during the 2003-2004 playoff season

It only takes one time and you are partially blinded.

Light side points please Smiley

Ander
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 56

SErvizio, CUra, RIspetto

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 07:57:58 AM »

I use finger/hand/wrist and groin protection, as discussed here:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=4890.msg81907#msg81907
Ah, and a cap for long sparring matches. Glasses are recommended for tournaments.

Not using protection is, in my opinion and with all due respect, somewhat masochistic, and I know I'd feel bad for my friends if I did them any damage, too, so USE IT !

Andrea Ungaro | Ander
LudoSport form I, II, III instructor

Dean - LudoSport Alpha - Ordine delle Onde
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lscagenova/

Why you should not learn fighting on Youtube: https://goo.gl/mhh9Ns

Darth Skiorh
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -10

The Force shall set me Free

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »

I use MMA grappling gloves, I'm a professional tattooist by trade, so I need my hands, although one of the metacarpals of my right hand has been broken 3 times through misadventure with weapons.   And yep, I'm right-handed:P  I do get cranky when my fingertips get hit though....I probably do fall into the reckless and masochistic basket, but I do wear eye protection, and I have used a pair of my medieval splintmail vambraces for forearm protection as well.  I find that the better at fighting I get, the more protection I and my playmates need.

Phantasm staff (2 x Aeon V3LE, Bane\'s Heart-Orange FoC, Arbiter Pommels, Vented coupler, Obsidian - red switch)
Red Liberator v2 (Blazing Red)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: