Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40   Go Down
Author Topic: Star Trek Online... (Pic Heavy)  (Read 135138 times)
Krace
Game Master
RP Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 150

For the Light of the Republic! (LS Points Please)

« Reply #570 on: March 16, 2017, 07:36:43 PM »

About how much would it cost to build one? That sounds like a fun challenge. I'll have to wait until after I get a "real" saber.

Well, it all depends on how much you wanna spend.  You could probably make a good rig for $800.  I spent about $1000 some 5-6 years ago and it's continued to perform admirably with only a couple upgrades very recently.  Sometimes you can find predone gaming rigs online on sites like Newegg.com.  They would outperform things you would buy in the store.  Just gotta watch for what they might be missing.

When building from scratch, the biggest expenses on a gaming rig are usually your CPU and Motherboard, which often can be bought in a combo at a discount, and also your graphics card.  The good news for you is AMD just recently released a whole series of brand new processors, all at different levels with different prices.  Also, this release has forced Intel to slash all their prices to stay competitive.  Cheesy

Besides those, other things you need:

Case (which needs to be big enough to fit your graphics card as they have gotten rather huge)
Power supply (if you case doesn't come with one or the one it comes with is too small to run everything)
Additional cooling fans (if your case doesn't come with enough)
RAM (I suggest starting with a minimum of 8GB)
Storage (HDD or SSD or both)
Optical drive (CD/DVD or Blu-ray, this feature is of course optional as many things come digital nowadays, but you can get a CD/DVD drive for dirt cheap)

Saber Armory:
Archon v2.1 w/sound - CG/FoC/AS
Dark Liberator v3 - VA

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #571 on: March 17, 2017, 01:52:53 PM »

I started playing STO again yesterday.  It's been ages since I played.  I originally registered for the PC version before it went free to play.  (yeash!)  But, I switched from Windows to desktop Linux in 2015, so I had to say goodbye to some games.  Well, a while back I downloaded the game to my Playstation 4, and I finally got around to starting a new character on there.  Unfortunately, none of my stuff from the PC version transferred, particularly the 1000s of Zen I likely have by now (lifetime Gold subscription.)  But, such is life.  Anywho, I made a Starfleet tac officer, used the Alien species option to make him look Cardassian.  Good times.  The only thing I'm not so thrilled with is the limit of the console version, particularly the interface.  You can't easily apply multiple buffs or anything, due to the limit of what can be quick slotted to the controller.  So, it requires a bit of a rethinking in how to play.  But, it's all good.  The game looks incredible on the PS4 and on my TV, though.  And, it's good (free) fun.  Cool

Krace
Game Master
RP Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #572 on: March 17, 2017, 01:57:40 PM »

I started playing STO again yesterday.  It's been ages since I played.  I originally registered for the PC version before it went free to play.  (yeash!)  But, I switched from Windows to desktop Linux in 2015, so I had to say goodbye to some games.  Well, a while back I downloaded the game to my Playstation 4, and I finally got around to starting a new character on there.  Unfortunately, none of my stuff from the PC version transferred, particularly the 1000s of Zen I likely have by now (lifetime Gold subscription.)  But, such is life.  Anywho, I made a Starfleet tac officer, used the Alien species option to make him look Cardassian.  Good times.  The only thing I'm not so thrilled with is the limit of the console version, particularly the interface.  You can't easily apply multiple buffs or anything, due to the limit of what can be quick slotted to the controller.  So, it requires a bit of a rethinking in how to play.  But, it's all good.  The game looks incredible on the PS4 and on my TV, though.  And, it's good (free) fun.  Cool

I'd have asked ARC or whoever if they'd transfer your sub.  Also, have you considered a keyboard for your PS4?

Saber Armory:
Dark Liberator v3 - VA

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #573 on: March 17, 2017, 02:04:01 PM »

I'd have asked ARC or whoever if they'd transfer your sub.  Also, have you considered a keyboard for your PS4?

Well, I linked my accounts, but I found out on the forums that they won't transfer anything between the PC and PS4.  Roll Eyes  Different servers, blah blah blah (BS.)  I went through all of this with DC Universe Online also.  It's just how things are.  I'm not even mad about it or anything, I'm just glad I can play.  I'm thinking of purchasing some Zen from the PS store, so that I can get some stuff in game, like ships and whatnot.

As for the keyboard, I can certainly hook one up, I just don't know if it would work.  Remember, the PS4 version of the game is designed to work with the Dual Shock 4 controller.  I just wish they'd thought more of using multiple abilities.  You're limited to basically 5 buffs you can apply that correspond to controller buttons.  In games like DCUO, (which was designed with controllers in mind, I think) you can have much more because you can use button combinations, like L2 + X, Triangle, Circle, Square for different abilities, and R2 plus those buttons for others.  But, like I said, it just requires a different way of playing.  Now, I can switch buffs by bringing up a selection wheel and selecting different ones.  However, I haven't successfully done this in combat yet.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #574 on: March 17, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »

I started playing STO again yesterday.  It's been ages since I played.  I originally registered for the PC version before it went free to play.  (yeash!)  But, I switched from Windows to desktop Linux in 2015, so I had to say goodbye to some games.  Well, a while back I downloaded the game to my Playstation 4, and I finally got around to starting a new character on there.  Unfortunately, none of my stuff from the PC version transferred, particularly the 1000s of Zen I likely have by now (lifetime Gold subscription.)  But, such is life.  Anywho, I made a Starfleet tac officer, used the Alien species option to make him look Cardassian.  Good times.  The only thing I'm not so thrilled with is the limit of the console version, particularly the interface.  You can't easily apply multiple buffs or anything, due to the limit of what can be quick slotted to the controller.  So, it requires a bit of a rethinking in how to play.  But, it's all good.  The game looks incredible on the PS4 and on my TV, though.  And, it's good (free) fun.  Cool

The console version is way behind the curve in terms of content. Have you thought of using a Windows VM to play the PC version?

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Krace
Game Master
RP Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #575 on: March 17, 2017, 03:20:13 PM »

As for the keyboard, I can certainly hook one up, I just don't know if it would work.  Remember, the PS4 version of the game is designed to work with the Dual Shock 4 controller.  I just wish they'd thought more of using multiple abilities.  You're limited to basically 5 buffs you can apply that correspond to controller buttons.  In games like DCUO, (which was designed with controllers in mind, I think) you can have much more because you can use button combinations, like L2 + X, Triangle, Circle, Square for different abilities, and R2 plus those buttons for others.  But, like I said, it just requires a different way of playing.  Now, I can switch buffs by bringing up a selection wheel and selecting different ones.  However, I haven't successfully done this in combat yet.

I know it's designed to work with the controller, but I always wonder if it wouldn't at least add some extra functionality to the game if you could go into the control settings and add some extra input.

The console version is way behind the curve in terms of content. Have you thought of using a Windows VM to play the PC version?

That's an interesting idea.  Could also go a step further.  Why not just buy a second HDD and slap it into your machine and load Windows onto it and use that for PC games?

Saber Armory:
Dark Liberator v3 - VA

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #576 on: March 17, 2017, 03:27:06 PM »

As of October 2016, a keyboard and mouse didn't work with the PS4 version of STO, according to a post I found on the forums.

Yep, considered and dismissed.  I'd run a dual boot before I'd run Windows in a VM.  Prior to mid 2015, that was what I did.  Though, at this point, I'd have to re-buy Windows.  There's no point in installing Windows 7 now, since even Microsoft admits it's not secure anymore. (not that it was to begin with, but I digress) That leaves Win10, which I don't want at all.  I used to have the game running perfectly in Linux using WINE, the Microsoft compatibility layer, but then Arc ruined that.  As far as I know, Arc doesn't play nice with Linux.  Of course, there's also the Windows version of Steam that can be ran in WINE, but I haven't tried that in ages.  Really, it's not just Windows I stay away from, I don't even run any Windows software.

Besides, the console version has the main game content, PVE and PVP queues, etc.  I'm happy.  I'm about to set up some duty officer assignments for while I'm at work.

Krace
Game Master
RP Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #577 on: March 17, 2017, 03:36:07 PM »

As of October 2016, a keyboard and mouse didn't work with the PS4 version of STO, according to a post I found on the forums.

Yep, considered and dismissed.  I'd run a dual boot before I'd run Windows in a VM.  Prior to mid 2015, that was what I did.  Though, at this point, I'd have to re-buy Windows.  There's no point in installing Windows 7 now, since even Microsoft admits it's not secure anymore. (not that it was to begin with, but I digress) That leaves Win10, which I don't want at all.  I used to have the game running perfectly in Linux using WINE, the Microsoft compatibility layer, but then Arc ruined that.  As far as I know, Arc doesn't play nice with Linux.  Of course, there's also the Windows version of Steam that can be ran in WINE, but I haven't tried that in ages.  Really, it's not just Windows I stay away from, I don't even run any Windows software.

Besides, the console version has the main game content, PVE and PVP queues, etc.  I'm happy.  I'm about to set up some duty officer assignments for while I'm at work.

You sound a bit paranoid there man.  Tongue

I work in IT.  I have no love for Windows 8 or 10 really.  Also I have no issues with my home or work PC which both have Windows 7.  Is that what you had before?  Why re-buy Windows if you had it already?  Not like you'll be doing much else in it.  Basically you're just loading a box to have Windows for PC games like STO and any others that don't work on your Linux.

Saber Armory:
Dark Liberator v3 - VA

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #578 on: March 17, 2017, 03:52:36 PM »

It's not paranoia, it's cold hard facts.  Fact:  You don't need an administrator password to make system level changes in Windows.  That is the most insecure way of doing things.  This leads to virus threats, which are able to do what they do on Windows systems because they can make system level changes.  On Linux, you would literally have to enter your admin password to allow a virus to run.  Yeah, like anybody is doing that.  So, yeah, this is a fact, it's something that Microsoft knows and has always known, yet does nothing about.  So, when I say that Windows is less secure, I mean it.

There are other reasons I choose not to run Windows, BSODs being one of them.  I don't know why Windows 7 hated my computer so, but it would give me one of those BSODs at the worst of times.  And, when I say I don't run Windows anymore, I mean that I don't own a Windows disc or, more importantly, a Windows product key anymore.  So, I would have to buy another, and I have absolutely no interest in that.  $119 for Windows 10, not much less than that for an OEM Win7 disc.

But, all of this Windows discussion is pointless.  I just came on here to say I'm enjoying playing STO again, period.  It works great on the PS4, and it gives me a way to play it.  I actually want to play more MMORPGs on the console, it may encourage other companies to port their games over.

Krace
Game Master
RP Game Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #579 on: March 17, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »

It's not paranoia, it's cold hard facts.  Fact:  You don't need an administrator password to make system level changes in Windows.  That is the most insecure way of doing things.  This leads to virus threats, which are able to do what they do on Windows systems because they can make system level changes.  On Linux, you would literally have to enter your admin password to allow a virus to run.  Yeah, like anybody is doing that.  So, yeah, this is a fact, it's something that Microsoft knows and has always known, yet does nothing about.  So, when I say that Windows is less secure, I mean it.

There are other reasons I choose not to run Windows, BSODs being one of them.  I don't know why Windows 7 hated my computer so, but it would give me one of those BSODs at the worst of times.  And, when I say I don't run Windows anymore, I mean that I don't own a Windows disc or, more importantly, a Windows product key anymore.  So, I would have to buy another, and I have absolutely no interest in that.  $119 for Windows 10, not much less than that for an OEM Win7 disc.

But, all of this Windows discussion is pointless.  I just came on here to say I'm enjoying playing STO again, period.  It works great on the PS4, and it gives me a way to play it.  I actually want to play more MMORPGs on the console, it may encourage other companies to port their games over.

Sorry, not trying to argue.  I am aware Windows has things that are not secure.  Though at work that's why we have everything locked down so users can't change things or execute anything that wants to change anything on the system.  Help keep the clueless users from causing too much trouble.

If you had BSOD issues, well there I can't blame you.  Those are the worst, especially when you're playing games like STO, or any other MMORPG where there usually is no pause or autosave.  I'd be happy to provide you a Windows 7 key though.  Though if your hardware hasn't changed, it's about a 50/50 if your BSODs would just return, or if the fresh version of Windows would fix it.

I considered trying STO on PS4 as I actually have a PS+ sub now, but I think I would miss the control I have on the PC.  For STO(and other MMOs) I have a gaming speedpad that puts all 36 of my hotbar keys at my fingertips.  I think the ground part of the game might be because you don't have quite so many abilities, but I would definitely miss not having all my hotbar skills easily accessible during space battles.  There's just too many skills.

I've tried playing games on the PC without my speedpad and found anymore that the normal keyboard is too lacking.  Diablo 3 is the only game I've found that is an OK crossover because there are less skills to control.  STO, or any other game that has more skills than buttons I think is a risky crossover because they don't know how well it'll be received.  FFXIV I think is one that has done OK, but I think that game has less skills, which helps it be simple enough to be played on console.

Saber Armory:
Dark Liberator v3 - VA

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #580 on: March 17, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »

The BSODs were the actual reason for the switch.  I don't think Win7 likes the combination of my motherboard and RAM.  It's not something I worried too much about when I bought the components, I'd had no issues with my previous configuration, nor have I heard complaints from my mom, whose computer I also built.  I would sometimes go weeks without a BSOD, other times I got more than one a day.  Usually, it would be during RAM heavy tasks, other times during simple web surfing.  So, around April 2015, I'd had enough and my 17 year relationship with Windows was ended.  At that point, I had been dual booting Linux with Windows for over 5 years, so I knew the RAM and motherboard had no issues in Linux.  So, I switched.  Last Fall, I finally ditched my Win7 discs for good, no going back.

I don't really have any issues with STO on the PS4, the buff thing is minor for me.  I like playing with the controller, it's nice and smooth.  The game also runs beautifully, it's all pretty on my PS4.  Last time l played on the PC, my old grapics card was having issues with some of the redesigned maps, though I have since upgraded.  Of course, none of that is an issue on the PS4.

Once I've had my fill of fun with STO, (for now) it will be time to get back into Neverwinter. Cool

Shalateaus
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -20

Outer Rim between Hoth and Dromund -Kaas

« Reply #581 on: March 17, 2017, 10:28:44 PM »

OK I got to say I wondered if anyone else came back to it I went to the Xbox one version though and I came across the same thing did not make sense but I made rear admiral so I cought up was wondering if anyone from the forum had a fleet there

Knickel Plated Redemption SS (Vengeance), Emperor's Hand Emerald Green with DVA Pulse,Overlord SS EG ,Dark Arbiter DVA,sentinel le,Dark Standard issue

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #582 on: March 18, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »

Aren't Duty Officers fun?  I remember the game before they were added, and you couldn't earn XP while you weren't playing.  Meanwhile, I'm on my way to work and I sent some of my doffs to work also, doing missions and earning rewards that I'll claim when I get home tonight.  Wink

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #583 on: March 18, 2017, 06:23:22 PM »

Aren't Duty Officers fun?  I remember the game before they were added, and you couldn't earn XP while you weren't playing.  Meanwhile, I'm on my way to work and I sent some of my doffs to work also, doing missions and earning rewards that I'll claim when I get home tonight.  Wink

Wait until you start doing Reputation projects. Definitely worth it for the gear.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #584 on: March 18, 2017, 11:00:31 PM »

Wait until you start doing Reputation projects. Definitely worth it for the gear.

I used to do those when I played on the PC, so I know how they are.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: