Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Are Darksabers a possibility?  (Read 4665 times)
SkippyLeDoo
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« on: April 28, 2012, 10:23:15 PM »

The search feature and google hasn't really given me answers, so I'm going to ask: Would it be possible to make a replica darksaber?

To elaborate, the way it might work is to insert a black tube inside the hollow of a midgrade, non-ultraedge blade, maybe even replacing the film inside (probably not) to produce an opaque blade with a glowing outline. This, of course, would not work with string LEDs.

I don't know where to get the materials to try this myself, but I would like to know if anyone else thinks it's possible or might even try it.

"Wheresoever tread the sons of man, war will follow in their wake."

--Unaligned with the force. Please keep alignment at 0--

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 10:32:51 PM »

The search feature and google hasn't really given me answers, so I'm going to ask: Would it be possible to make a replica darksaber?

To elaborate, the way it might work is to insert a black tube inside the hollow of a midgrade, non-ultraedge blade, maybe even replacing the film inside (probably not) to produce an opaque blade with a glowing outline. This, of course, would not work with string LEDs.

I don't know where to get the materials to try this myself, but I would like to know if anyone else thinks it's possible or might even try it.

Not really, no.

I mean, it's something I've seen asked more than once, generally with the question of a "black" blade.  The problem is that, while it sounds cool, it doesn't really work in practical terms.

From your own description, you've got a black tube inside a blade.  That black tube is going to nigh-impossible to fix in place, which has to be done so that the diffuser film doesn't get damaged when the saber gets hit.  And it's not going to look right.  You'd have a solid core interior, with light shining around it, rather than the rather vibrant core that lightsabers have.  Not to mention that a giant black tube would absorb radiant energy like crazy, which would cause a degree of expansion within the blade.

And there's the fact that black is the result of all colors within the visible spectrum being absorbed - it wouldn't emit.

Basically, the quick answer is that no, it's not really possible at this point in time.

You COULD perhaps try an Adegan Silver saber and apply LEE filters to get "black" light, but again, black is kind of the antithesis of light...

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

SkippyLeDoo
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 10:50:58 PM »

Not really, no.

I mean, it's something I've seen asked more than once, generally with the question of a "black" blade.  The problem is that, while it sounds cool, it doesn't really work in practical terms.

From your own description, you've got a black tube inside a blade.  That black tube is going to nigh-impossible to fix in place, which has to be done so that the diffuser film doesn't get damaged when the saber gets hit.  And it's not going to look right.  You'd have a solid core interior, with light shining around it, rather than the rather vibrant core that lightsabers have.  Not to mention that a giant black tube would absorb radiant energy like crazy, which would cause a degree of expansion within the blade.

And there's the fact that black is the result of all colors within the visible spectrum being absorbed - it wouldn't emit.

Basically, the quick answer is that no, it's not really possible at this point in time.

You COULD perhaps try an Adegan Silver saber and apply LEE filters to get "black" light, but again, black is kind of the antithesis of light...
For that last bit there, I might as well disconnect the LED :V

You basically described the desired effect, "with light shining around it." It wouldn't glow very bright, yes, but it probably wouldn't need to. All it needs is a visible glowing edge.
You are right about expansion and durability, but there might be an easy fix to that: a thin, rubber tube rather than plastic. People usually duel, etc. during the night, and rubber is pretty soft, so your biggest worry is folding the rubber, a problem that probably wouldn't occur (very often) and that a dowel can easily fix. It wouldn't be as cool to swing as normal, though. :I

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:15:35 AM »

Well, yes, but a Darksaber wouldn't look correct, especially if one wants the Darksaber as seen on The Clone Wars.

With the fact that the blade itself is flat on the Darksaber, it really won't work, because you'll have a very thick blade in order to allow light to shine into the blade core.  With the blade fashioned to look like a sword, you have a HUGE seam running down the "cutting" edges of the blade - the thing would be really unsafe to duel with.  One hard swing and your blade would come apart.

It looks like on a quick Google search for "black lightsaber blade" pulls up results on another forum, but...  I'm kinda meh about it.  It looks like the interior dowel idea is used, but to me it seems as though the dowel couldn't be secured in place completely, and would muck up the diffuser film.  Apparently, it also doesn't look quite right from all angles, which is another strike to me.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Darth Nekesus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -164

Resident Zabrak and LoL addict.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:22:32 AM »

I know someone did it on fx saber forum but I can't find a link for it right now.

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge"
-Darth Maul-

DVA and CG Phantom V3 LE
Custom Painted SRD Aeon V2
Overlord with Obsidian and Emerald

SkippyLeDoo
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 01:45:11 AM »

Having an edged blade would be best for display only, heh.

I found the tread with the 'black lightsaber blade' search. It looks better than I might expect, though the red puts it off a bit. I'd personally stick with white. I'm definitely going to try it in the future.

Also, the dowel thing I mentioned is kind of the equivalent to a un-jamming rod in airsoft. It's just to nudge the rubber tube back in place; you wouldn't leave it in.

EDIT: If it's the fx sabers forum, go to page ten. Eyegasm, right there.

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 04:55:45 AM »

If you got the idea from the Clone Wars cartoon, then look at the saber the Death Watch Mando is carrying.  It only has one edge like a regular knife and not the smooth look of a general lightsaber.  You could possibly make a sword with a regular knife style blade and run a white string LED around the edge to get the same effect as on the cartoon.  I would not suggest anyone fighting with it though.  I think the idea of a Black Lightsaber is really cool and if someone has been able to pull it off, then great!  I just think it is more trouble than it would be worth.  Sorry not much help.

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 05:36:31 AM »

You like what you like...without trying you will never know what is possible.

I am of the thought that it is 100% doable.

Now to the extent of what you expect the end result to be, that is the issue.

I suspect you want this

I have a simple thought that will either work great or work ok, but it will work without a doubt.

Use the brightest and whitest LED...nothing else as it will get lost in the effect.

Then take a simple white tube...the next step depends on your skill level and ability to apply the techniques needed...you either create the effect on the outside, and realize it will require fairly regular touch up if dueling with it...or...create the effect inside, which there are options but would last longer but would be tougher to apply.

Outside...run a length of 1/4" tape from top to bottom, making sure to avoid the reflective strip...and make a pair of edges that meet at the tip creating a continuous line of tape from base to base...coat with an epoxy black for plastic...not a primer...not a basic paint...epoxy...then perhaps coat with a black rubber skin like that from scotchcote

Pull the tape off...the light will be forced through the "edge"...held the right way...in the best case of limited light it would look great or good.

Inside...the same process but inside the tube minus the scotchcote...tape the line, spray the epoxy, let it set up, carefully carefully pull the tape, enjoy.

Best of luck with your vision.

Light side points please Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: