Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Blade Comparison (Ultraedge and Standard Blades)  (Read 65839 times)
thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 22

Go green? Go red!

« on: February 15, 2011, 02:19:14 AM »

So, I have seen a lot of questions about blade differences and which are best to purchase. Of course, being inquisitive in this sort of hobby is perfectly all right, but I would like to provide something to look at in order to see a different way of looking the blades. Ok, here we go.

Note for beginners: the blades offered by Ultrasabers are quite awesome. They are made of a very durable, polycarbonate blade that is very difficult to break. Compared to the blades of regular FX sabers offered by Hasbro or Master Replicas, they do not compare. In terms of Mid-Grade blades and Ultraedge blades, there is some difference. Mid-Grade blades are offered both in Standard and Ultraedge. With the Heavy-Grade blades, there is the same thing, both Standard and Ultraedge. Now, the Standard grade blades are durable. Very durable. They can take a lot of beating. Difference in Heavy-Grade blades is the fact that they can go up against other types of hard material, like training bokkens.

Ok, I am comparing 4 different types of blades here: Ultraedge mid-grade, standard mid-grade, Ultraedge heavy-grade, and standard heavy-grade. There are different lengths for the sabers, but it does not seem to make too much of a difference in terms of illumination.

Here are all four sabers together:

Here is a pic of the inside of the blade, showing the thickness of the blade itself.

You can see (from left to right): Standard Mid-Grade, Ultraedge Mid-Grade, Standard Heavy-Grade, and Ultraedge Heavy-Grade

Here is (from left to right): Standard Mid-Grade and Standard Heavy-Grade

Now, here is the funny thing. In trying to show comparison pictures with the sabers, I found out something that I kind of all ready knew. Ultrasabers are bright. VERY bright. It was tough getting different pictures at different angles in order to show how the light is distributed. Here is an example.
Note: all pictures are using the same power light source. The blue saber is a Standard Issue which uses a blue S4 light. The ones of the red sabers are from some older sabers, so I believe they are using Luxeon III LED’s. Either way, they have new batteries and are at the same power. Just to let y’all know.

This photo is of a Ultraedge Heavy-Grade(Note the Bullet Point)

This photo is of a Standard Heavy-Grade.

As you can see. Very bright and very hard to see a difference.
The one thing you can see thugh is a thinner blade from the Standard blade than the Ultraedge. That is due to the clear polycarbonate wall on the outside. I will talk about this a little later.

So, what I did was try to get different angle of the blades in order to see the difference.

Both of these blades are Heavy-Grade. The Ultraedge is on the top and right.

Sorry for the finger in that one

You can see a small difference in light distribution across the carpet. The main thing that you see though is that the Ultraedge has a thicker blade due to the fact that the Standard blade has a thinner, outside polycarbonate wall in order to have more durability. Though the wall is the same width in the Ultraedge, you cant see too much of a difference due to the white blade. In the last picture, you can also see the meaning between the Standard Grade being the “brighter blade” versus the Ultraedge’s “fuller blade.”

Here are some blade comparisons of some Mid-Grade sabers.

Again, the Ultraedge blades are on the right. You can see the difference in light being spread across the blade. Though both are very bright, you can see how they look side by side.

Another Note: I had to get very different angles for these pictures. Normally, the blades are Very bright. Just wanted to point that out. Some of the red saber pictures came out a little dull due to the distance of myself and the blades. I even had to add some external light around me in order to change the light effects a bit. So if you do purchase an Ultrasaber, they will be much bright then those. Just look at the pics of the blue blade at the top. An efficient blade comparison pic is difficult because you need to be there to see it. You can see a slight difference in most pictures, but nothing very drastic.

Ok, again, I tried to do this in order to help everyone out. If anyone has any ideas or comments, post them here and let me know what y’all think.
Thanks and MTFBWY!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:06:28 AM by thejedimasternick » Logged

Star Wars Society of San Antonio
Sith Shadow Council of Texas
San Antonio Lightsaber Academy

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 03:15:28 AM »

I noticed the Ultra Edge gives the color a slightly different look in person. More of a Pastel look(at least with green). How does the Red look in person? Is it RED or more of a light red/pink in UE?

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Go green? Go red!

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 03:24:31 AM »

It does look different in person. But its hard when the person hasnt bought an Ultrasaber, hah. Ultraedge does give more of a pastel look. In pictures, it seems to be more of light red. The Standard grade blade usually appears to be a little more lighter because of the white. The clear blade brings seems to show the true color a little better. But normally, the red is a true red, cameras usually dont pick it up though, and the white blade doesnt help that either. My friend tried a red filter on a red saber and it gave the saber a cool, blood red effect.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 03:30:20 AM »

So Ultra Edge doesn't hurt the color too much then?

(Sig by me!)

thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Go green? Go red!

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 03:47:27 AM »

No, it does not. It does not diminsh the color, just balances the light lot different on the blade depending on which blade you get. A red blade will look red on all the blades. Its really hard to capture it on camera because of the way it picks up the color. The reason it looks a little lighter is because I tried to capture it a different way in order for people to get a perspective on how the light is on the blade. But trust me, the red does look red and it does look great, no matter what blade you get. The way the blue blade balances out is about the same way any of the other colors do.

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 03:51:06 AM »

thejedimasternick is right it doesn't really make the blade dimmer it just washes the color a bit but not to the extent where it is a big deal i have two red led sabers and i love ultra edge blades there the only blades i use in any of my ultrasabers and great post thejedimasternick  this is very useful information i have yet to see a comparisons of ultra heavy blade until now i may have to get one with my next saber order Smiley

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 04:13:19 AM »

thejedimasternick, thank you. I just pictured red+ultra edge=pink for some reason. Glad to know that's not the case.

(Sig by me!)

thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Go green? Go red!

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 04:20:16 AM »

No problem at all. Very glad to help.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 04:24:52 AM »

Oh, and I thank you as well Boss. Sorry I almost forgot!

(Sig by me!)

SILVERBACK
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -77

i like dark side points and cookies

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 02:49:41 AM »

i just tried my ultra edge blade on my blazing red saber and i am now choosing the ultra edge blades . i personally think the the blade didnt look pink at all, it still looked red. i would have tried it on my consular green prophecy but i dont want to sound stupid , i cant figure how to get the blade out of the emiter. the guardian blue with the u.e. still looked blue (i dont know if that makes sense or not) but it wasnt as bright , it seemed  a tiny bit dimmer. and the v.a. with the ultra edge was the same as the red. also with the ultra edge blades , they dont show the battle scars as easy as the mid grade blades. thanks jedimasternick, for making me see the difference between the two blades. all of my blades will be ultra edge from now on.

thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Go green? Go red!

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 03:21:28 AM »

If you still cant figure out the blade thing, just get an allen wrench at the top retention screw.

SILVERBACK
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -77

i like dark side points and cookies

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 09:34:21 PM »

i didnt see that there was a spot there for a allen wrench, thougth it was just a hole ( big DUH on my part).

Stockton
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 67

Leave Your Legacy - Light side point please!

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 09:47:19 PM »

Great review on the blades thejedimasternick. Plus we are both named Nick, so it was that much better Tongue

hayduke
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 06:01:27 AM »

Both of you are named Nick? Me Too! Glad there are some other good saber Nicks out there!

gabrielc
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 02:54:35 AM »

hi... and for dueling purposes, obviously heavy grade blades are better because of the thickness and durability.... but... how good are he mid grade blades?? how hard can you duel with them before they crack or break?? Oh and... great review by the way!!

Anakin Skywalker ROTS Stunt - Consular Green

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: