Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Saber Painting Techniques?  (Read 2139 times)
BPStoyle
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: February 16, 2011, 06:57:45 AM »

Hi guys,

I love seeing everyone's customizations to their sabers. I'm curious for those using paint, what's your technique? Do you use a primer? What paints do you use or recommend? Do you use a clear coat or a sealant? How durable is the paint job once it's finished and you've been dueling with the sabers?

I'm thinking of ways to customize a saber I have coming in (and a few I hope to order in the not-too-distant future) and would love to pick everyone's brains on the matter.

Bryan Patrick Stoyle
www.BryanPatrickStoyle.com

thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 22

Go green? Go red!

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »

Well, it depends on the material you are painting on for one. If you are using pvc, try out any paint mainly designed for plastics. Krylon plastic fusion is an example. Metal, I have used rustoleum and it works great. Along the lines of primer, the higher grade paints usually don't need the primer, they come with it. But you do need to make sure the material is smooth and does not have anything that will get in the way of the paint staying on. After, usually a good clear coat seal or matte works to hold the paint. The paint stays on well, depending on how well you apply it. Just like anything else, the more you use something, the more worn out it can get. So maintain your sabers. The main thing is patience. This is a learning process. You might not get it right the first time, but you learn from your mistakes. Apply in coats to give your project balance in color. And try different ideas and practices, you will find your own way of doing things. Also, never be afraid to ask questions. We all started somewhere

Star Wars Society of San Antonio
Sith Shadow Council of Texas
San Antonio Lightsaber Academy

BPStoyle
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:44:29 PM »

Many thanks for the tips!

Bryan Patrick Stoyle
www.BryanPatrickStoyle.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print