Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Shock LE Review  (Read 8841 times)
ArasVao
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: February 20, 2011, 04:38:45 PM »

Hello all and welcome to my review of the Shock Limited Edition.

Before I get into the specific aesthetics of the LE, I will first describe in more detail how I feel about the Shock "family" of lightsabers.

What sets the Shock apart from some of the more basic sabers here on ultrasabers is the sheer amount of lathing done to the hilt.

The bottom of the Shock's pommel is patterened with fourteen holes through which the sound will emanate.
The pommel also features two evenly spaced grooves which visually split it into three equal sections.

Moving on up to the hilt you will see the convertec wheel which is located about a quarter inch above the top of the pommel.
Next are three more grooves which vary slightly in size and depth.
This is the part of the hilt where your bottom hand would rest "provided you are not dual weilding".

Above the three thin grooves is a double groove connected by a smoothly rounded convex ring.
Above the double groove is the activation button which sits 90 degrees over from the convertec wheel.
This allows the saber to sit flush against your belt without the button bumping around.
This is followed by a double convex ring which beings to flange outward towards the emitter.

The beautiful emitter features many grooves of various depths and thicknesses, "some rounded and some squared off".
The emitter's top and bottom are quite a bit thicker than the rest of the hilt, while the middle has a recessed area which provides a fantastic "choke point" for optimal saber control.

The Shock hilt is around 11.5 inches long while the blade that I personally have on mine is 36 inches.

The Shock LE features nine sections on the exterior of the saber that have been anodized gold.
This includes all of the grooves and even the entire top of the emitter.
The convertec wheel is also anodized gold as well as the outer threads on the pommel and emitter.
The only part of the hilt that is black is the housing for the activation button, while the actual button is silver.

The gold used in on LE offers a very subtle but effective contrast to the classic alluminum color and texture.
I was pleasently suprised when I saw the brass color.
It immediately reminded me of the gold used on Mace Windu's lightsaber.

I ordered mine in Consular Green with an UltraEdge Heavy blade.
The green is bright and full throughout, and very nearly as vivid at the tip of the blade as it is at the emitter.

The blade sits in the saber as solid as a rock with absolutely no wobble.
I did not get sound for the LE but it is certainly an option.
My saber is nearly balanced; I believe if the sound components were included, the balance point would be about where your top hand rests on the emitter.
This makes the hilt very easy to control while swinging and spinning.

My camera shows the green as a teal color, but trust me, the color looks nothing like it does in the pictures.

If you are looking for a saber that is sure to be both flashy and functional, I reccomend you consider the Shock LE.
The gold color in the hilt would be perfectly suitable for both light and dark side colors.
Being that this is a limited edition, it would be a good idea to get it before it's gone!

Shock LE - Consular Green

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »

I'm so jealous thats the saber next saber i want to get in the exact same color  Tongue also very nice review you describe the saber perfectly hope they don't sell out any time soon

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

Amanita
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »

I ordered one of these yesterday, I can't wait to see it! Until you said it was green, I thought it was SRD- Another color that would look gorgeous with this saber.
Mine's gonna be yellow, I'm sure it will look beautiful with the gold.

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 701

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 06:40:07 PM »

I ordered one of these yesterday, I can't wait to see it! Until you said it was green, I thought it was SRD- Another color that would look gorgeous with this saber.
Mine's gonna be yellow, I'm sure it will look beautiful with the gold.

Camera's can play tricks on you.

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 07:00:13 PM »

It's actually not the camera so much as the blade that's the culprit. I noticed on my green saber(before I sold it) that the UE blades look teal on camera, while the standard blades look green.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Amanita
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »

Yeah, if you read my Phantom V1 review, it looks green as heck in the pics. But that thing was fitted with a set of regular heavy-grade blades. These days, I use ultra edges for almost everything.

ArasVao
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:28:12 PM »

Just to clarify, I was very surprised to see how blue the blade actually looked with my camera lol.
It truly is straight up green in the real world.

Shock LE - Consular Green

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 701

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 10:38:39 PM »

Just to clarify, I was very surprised to see how blue the blade actually looked with my camera lol.
It truly is straight up green in the real world.

Exactly.  I only ship dozens and dozens of these a week.  The camera's play tricks on us.

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

Forcestruck
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 02:33:17 AM »

I purchased the empty hilt of the LE (although in retrospect I should have gotten it finished in arctic white) and it is even better looking in person than you would expect. This is definitely my favorite Ultrasabers hilt and probably in my top 3 overall.

Superb!

Onli-Won Kanomi
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 5

Jedi Knight Of Faith

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 03:47:22 AM »

Great review.

I love the ergonomics of this hilt...if you work or play a sport like baseball where your hands are close together on a tool you'll find the hand placement ergonomics of a Shock especially 'natural' and easy handling...and the LE adds exceptional elegance to performance.

plain Stunt [Guardian Blue]
gold Minilord [Adegan Silver]
purple Minilord [Fire Orange]
Initiate v1 DIY [Fire Orange]
Wraith v1 [Fire Orange]
Wraith LE [Sunrider's Destiny]
Dark Apprentice [Blazing Red]
The Overlord [SRD]
Liberator v2 [Violet Amethyst]
Shock LE DIY [under construction]

flamemaster13
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 01:15:21 AM »

awesome review of an awesome saber!! Will definitely get one when/if they ever come in RGB if not then a normal shock for sure.

monkey fighter
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 04:33:39 AM »

what is purpose of the convertec wheel?

Onli-Won Kanomi
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 5

Jedi Knight Of Faith

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 09:27:49 AM »

The Covertec wheel fits into a Covertec belt clip [Covertec is/was a type of pager/cell phone case clip that was available at the time Unca George was making TPM so Lucasfilm's prop masters lifted the clip and wheel as a convenient way to attach Jedi sabers to costume Jedi belts in the Prequel Trilogy films instead of the saber d-ring and belt hook approach used in the Original Trilogy films]. Covertec belt clips are still widely available on Ebay and elsewhere. Some are rectangular exactly like those in the films, others are rounded along the bottom. Both will work with the wheel on Ultrasabers so its largely a matter of taste unless you want to do a screen accurate costume for the Rebel Legion in which case get the rectangular kind.

plain Stunt [Guardian Blue]
gold Minilord [Adegan Silver]
purple Minilord [Fire Orange]
Initiate v1 DIY [Fire Orange]
Wraith v1 [Fire Orange]
Wraith LE [Sunrider's Destiny]
Dark Apprentice [Blazing Red]
The Overlord [SRD]
Liberator v2 [Violet Amethyst]
Shock LE DIY [under construction]

iamkiki
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 11:07:39 PM »

You convinced me Smiley  I just ordered mine with an Arctic Blue LED...

ShadowKatt
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 01:20:21 AM »

Beautiful. I can't wait til my standard shock comes in.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: