Form III: Soresu
Form IV: Ataru
Form V: Shien
Form V: Djem So
Form VI: Niman
Form VII: Juyo
Form VII: Vaapad

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Which style do you most favor?  (Read 14178 times)
Solinus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -209

Black Star Sabers

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »

There has been a discussion elsewhere about each of the 7 Forms being skill sets of a single martial art (light saber fighting), where the emphasis an individual takes is dependent on the practitioners body structure, background interests and opponent. I think I have more to say about this but I'm really tired right now and am not putting together the coherent thoughts I'd like to present. More later.

I definitely can't wait to read what you have to say about this topic. I think I personally may end up favoring this style overall, but I need a clear understanding of what it is. As it stands, I am still very much interested in Shii-Cho and Soresu.

Control your fear. Give in to your hate. Let it guide you along the path and soon you shall find yourself... home.

**Dark Side points appreciated.**

Master VorNach
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 176

Mendicus esset tamen suus candeo.

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »

I definitely can't wait to read what you have to say about this topic.

Alright Solinus, here you go.   Grin

There was a very lively discussion in another thread, which I cannot find at this moment, as to whether each of the 7 Forms were martial arts unto themselves or if each was a collection of skills and principles that would build on the others so that by combining several forms you would have a comprehensive martial art system (lightsaber combat). Compelling arguments were made for both cases but my perspective is pretty firmly the latter of the two concepts.

Each practitioner would have a selection of basic skills that are all fairly similar however as they progressed in their training the overall fighting style would begin to change and they put different emphasis into different principles. It's important to have a range of skills and principals to draw on because there's no such thing as a predictable fight.

Each person is going to develop their own particular version of the martial art they study, regardless of which martial art it is, because of variables in our physical build, psychological reactions,  backgrounds, experiences, beliefs, convictions, etc. Which means our particular approach is going to have to adapt to the particular approach of every other single individual we cross blades with.

Oh and speaking of blades that too has an impact on how you'll operate in a combat setting;
Quote from: BenPass
"...when I use my Dark Prophecy, I tend to lean towards Makashi. It just seems so much better with the weight/length. Now with my Arbiter, traditional great sword combat so whatever that falls under."
  Variations in weapon construction can dramatically change how your style is represented. (In the hopefully not too far flung future, after I've got some Djem So videos posted with a 2 handed grip I'll do some samples of a 1 handed grip as well).

And not just what kind of blade but what the environment as a whole is as well; temperature, footing, humidity, altitude, structures, observers, etc.

I haven't voted in the poll because, for reasons I've just gone on about, I don't consistently use one particular Form but combine principles and techniques to suit the situation. And to respond to the comment before it comes up this is not, to my mind, Niman. In the model I am operating the Form Niman encapsulates two general ideas: The process of learning how to incorporate multiple concepts and a somewhat more psychological lesson of calm awareness and attentiveness:  "Ultimately, Niman's success in combat was dependent on a practitioner's intuition and creativity in combat, rather than the rote responses common to the other forms. "

Remember, ymmv.

Cower not within yourself; whatever he says unto you, do not react to it; fight earnestly for yourself thusly;

https://sites.google.com/site/terraprimelightsaberacademy/
http://annarborsword.com/

KashiAtaru
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 21

Size matters not, only skill.

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 04:42:11 AM »

Ok, so from what I understand of Niman, is that it's a form created from other forms. Not all forms, but from bits and pieces of the others. So while you may not use all forms, I would assume that if you mix techniques from different forms, it would be considered Niman.

Either way, I like it.

As far as my knowledge of Niman goes, yes that is correct. Im certain the Masters could tell you more than I can though. As far as mixing techniques you have to mix techniques from ALL the forms Niman draws from. If you don't, it is not Niman but leaning more towards free styling which really is not a form.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE! Cheesy
CG Aggressor-"Tank"
AB Dark Standard Issue-"Blue Fire"
VA Dark Standard Issue-"Glitch"
BR Red Anodized Elder-"Lygnan"
Anakin Skywalker ROTS Force FX
Luke Skywalker ROTJ Master Replica

Darth Rifter
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -200

Darth Rifter and Jedi Keldor...Darn it I forgot.

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 03:05:11 AM »

I don't know because I have never taken martial arts, nor have I dueled much. I don't know they differences in the forms. When I do duel, it is strictly choregraphed, nothing random(too dangerous). I don't know many moves when dueling. I'd love to learn more, but there are no lightsaber clubs near me. I'd love to take martial arts, but don't think I could since I can't move my right foot really at all, and have to wear an AFO.

SO, I don't have a preferred form for the reasons above.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 04:44:29 AM »

I don't know because I have never taken martial arts, nor have I dueled much. I don't know they differences in the forms. When I do duel, it is strictly choregraphed, nothing random(too dangerous). I don't know many moves when dueling. I'd love to learn more, but there are no lightsaber clubs near me. I'd love to take martial arts, but don't think I could since I can't move my right foot really at all, and have to wear an AFO.

SO, I don't have a preferred form for the reasons above.

An AFO brace could and would be a challenge for sure.

I would think to focus on forms with stable footwork, using the rigid nature of the right foot as a pivot point.

The basic side facing stance, putting your left foot forward, and using the right rear position as an anchor...focus more on upper body work.

Any instructor would welcome your situation as a opportunity to find the best way to use what you have, chin up.

There may be a decent school or class nearby.

Light side points please Smiley

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2021, 05:03:19 AM »

I very much enjoyed reading everything posted here, and the various interpretations of the VII Forms mentioned as well. I feel I'd have to explain to a small degree my view before commenting on which I'd identify as a go to style personally.

I'm inclined to agree more so ideologically with the stance of each Form representing a style of lightsaber combat. Though yes they can be viewed as a progression in SW history, they were adaptations in theory. Thus they do lean toward different elements, thought processes, and movements to an extent. This is atleast my take on the matter of the VII Forms as I implement and grasp them as concepts.

To Master VorNach's last post I must fervently agree. It's very much a core principle of how I duel as well. The situation, weapon, and opponent tend toward altering which Form I'm prone to implement. I'm going to make a KOTOR reference (because I'm a gamer at heart, but also because that was my 1st experience with the Forms thus most ingrained) the way the Forms are selected and transitioned through in that game is how I more often than not see myself use them. It's the most appropriate example I can use to give a mental picture of how I operate and why I agree with Master VorNach's view so intently.

If I had to pick a Form I mostly rely on or use as a "default setting" it'd be Djem So, thus that's how I voted as well. Power strikes, forceful parries, and full bodied action and punishment behind blows in legitimate dueling (with full armor). But I'd quickly switch to more of Makashi if/when Djem So is less effective or a situation seems to warrant it instead. Going for a much more efficient targeting of point scoring/ending things. Much more reserved in power or stamina use, and finding/searching for openings more than attempting to create them or overwhelm and opponent. Yet at other instances I've drawn on the wellspring of emotion to unleash something far more similar to Juyo in a very intent burst of fueled and driven combat. Not to say by any means that at that point I'd lost control, more so feeling everything in the moment and channeling that into the parries and strikes while one with the combat at hand, reveling in it but not lost to it. I find this the most difficult to explain but feel that's a basic representation.

So Djem So, Makashi, and Juyo primarily (in that order of importance/implementation likelihood I suppose) but switching as situations shift. And as stated with weapon use, because I have different lengths of blades, hilts, and a saber staff. It's also been said that what you've previously trained in influences what Form you're using or your view of the Forms. This I also hold to be true and agree with heavily. Glad to have found this topic, and simply contributed my chosen Form(s) to it. It certainly proved an enjoyable read.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2021, 05:33:50 AM »

Where my love for directed momentum and power may lead me to favor Vapaad, my romanticizing dueling and Rapiers means I gotta put my vote in for Makashi.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2021, 12:59:07 AM »

You know, I really do not have enough actual combat experience with lightsabers to say anything of myself here with absolute certainty, but I do have other forms of sparring or combat experience to draw from, primarily Taekwondo and wrestling. Seeing as how I see a lot of similarities in Maul's combat style with what I strive for, likely due to his Shaolin Kung Fu background being more relatable to my Taekwondo background than, say, Fencing or Kendo is, I'd say that Form VII fits the bill well. I wouldn't say I become totally fueled by rage, but Vaapad should be a good fit overall I'd wager, as I do know I like to use strong emotions for fuel, both when I did compete, and now when I lift weights. But I would also say that I would try not to be dependent solely on any single form. As Bruce Lee said, "adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own."

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2021, 04:10:16 PM »

Niman. To me , after the basics are covered from each form. That's all you need. Forget the fancy stuff. Plus, I feel like that form is always in " Student " mode and will adapt more often. " There is no Box " , " The way of no Way. " Forget that " diplomat form " nonsense too. Exar Kun is the prime example. If you focus only on your training, and nothing else, you are a force to be reckoned with. That goes for ALL of the forms. The individuals training method is the most important factor, the Form is just piece of the puzzle.

I will be dual wielding as well. Probably a QRC attachment too.....

So....Niman / Jar'Kai blend with some Echani Martial Arts in there....

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2021, 06:22:02 AM »

I think I like Djem So the best. Its a great all around form. You have the strength of defense like Soresu but with better offensive attacks. However I also like the Vaapad form.

The old Jedi ban on marriage is unreasonable and foolish. The old dogma of both Sith and Jedi is foolish
There is no Emotion; There is Peace
There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge
There is no Passion; There is Serenity
There is no Death; There is The FORCE

Light Side Favored.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: