Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Full tutorial of how to wire a ultimate fx Qui-Gon soundcard into an ultrasaber  (Read 73467 times)
Big Andy
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -173

Dark side points please.

« on: June 08, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3khHs0h2AII" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3khHs0h2AII</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BazhFnV0Fq4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BazhFnV0Fq4</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H3y2v7R51c" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H3y2v7R51c</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCsQ2z7n4UI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCsQ2z7n4UI</a>

I hope this helps anyone who wanted to know how to do this, thanks for watching.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:27:45 PM by Big Boss » Logged

The Jedi are simple minded fools who try to avoid there feeling when feelings are the path of true power. The Sith on the other hand are just as foolish in only using anger to fuel there power. To unlock true power one must utilize all of one's emotions.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »

I should have my dark prophecy stunt on monday. Might make it into my first semi build by doing this. Thanks for the videos, they should help a fair bit.

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »

I just finished watching all four videos and I must say bravo good sir! besides the bird and telephone in the background you did a fantastic job making this video. Very clear and easy going.   Cool I also believe you are the first person to ever to make a full video of how to wire a sound board not just here, but in the entire saber community! With the four videos adding up to about 40 mins its apparent  why no one has  attempted such a tutorial. I will be moving this thread to the ultrasaber customization section and it will be stickied. This tutorial is too vital to be lost over time in various other threads.  Smiley

also one thing I noticed is you didn't install a resistor? I know some higher end sound boards drive the amount of power driven to the led, thus having some sort of resistor/ buck puck device within the board. Is this the case with the qui gon board? or  will i need to calculate for a resistor if i want to use a red or blue led  or some other color.? We don't want people blowing up their leds  Cheesy

EDIT:
I also changed the title of the thread slightly so people know your installing it in an ultrasaber. Hope you don't mind  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:39:43 PM by Big Boss » Logged

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

Big Andy
Knight Commander

Dark side points please.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 07:42:44 PM »

I noticed is you didn't install a resistor? I know some higher end sound boards drive the amount of power driven to the led, thus having some sort of resistor/ buck puck device within the board. Is this the case with the qui gon board? or  will i need to calculate for a resistor if i want to use a red or blue led  or some other color.? We don't want people blowing up their leds  Cheesy

I don't actually know about the resistor or how in specific they will play into this. I have done this on 2 different guardian blue sabers, a dark violet amnythest saber, and now a consular green saber and I haven't resistored any of them and they seam to all work fine. Mabey I'm just lucky, but like I said I don't know. O and the saber with the DVA has a quick disconnect that I use to switch between the DVA, AB, and AS. They all seam to work just fine with it as well.

The Jedi are simple minded fools who try to avoid there feeling when feelings are the path of true power. The Sith on the other hand are just as foolish in only using anger to fuel there power. To unlock true power one must utilize all of one's emotions.

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »

Hmm then it is quite possible that the sound board does have an ability to drive the led on its own without a resistor then... Possibly even overdriving the led slightly without blowing it up, much like how  a red p4 can be over driven with two AA batteries without any ill effects. You could also be under powering the led as well too..... How long have you been running theses sabers with this kindof setup? have you noticed any excess heat? Also what led types have you been using? Are they all P4's from ultrasabers or have you been using other leds for theses sound boards? what power source have you been using with each of these leds setups? Do you use the same one for each led?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:31:59 PM by Big Boss » Logged

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

Ninja-Jedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 168

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 07:04:50 AM »

u can run multiple type setups off these boards and NO it does not act as an LED driver it works more like pass thru meaning what ever voltage supply u run will be run to the LED.  So if u run 3.7V that what will be run to the LED. With 3.7V u dont need a resistor or puck when running single color LED i have not run multicolor setups on a hasbro, but i know from running GB LED with LED AV switch in parralel off board my main blade wasnt as bright as it should be so it is somewhat limited. U can get around this by wiring AV switch pos+ off battery with the neg- going to board.  You can use a 7.4V battery pack if that what u have but u need to get a 5V voltage regulator to not fry components on board, if you do this just know that the board will supply 5V to the LED so if running red or amber P4 be careful. U could run a LUX V if done right.  I have even wire LED AV switches to the neg- on speaker to give my LED switch a flickering effect to the idle hums and swing effects, so like i say u can really do alot with these boards for the price and u can add recharge ports and accent LED as well

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:51:19 AM »

I loved the videos.  This has to be hands down the very best how to tutorial I have seen thus far.  To keep from burning yourself with a lighter, I have found that some of the older model hair dryers work wonders for shrink tube.  If you can find a hobby store that provides supplies for Card Stocking, you can get a nice hand held model that works wonders.  Just don't mind the colors as they are usually pink or light purple. 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 153

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 04:26:58 PM »

After watching this video I am really glad I didnt execute the plans for my original summer project which was going to be hasbro Obi econo sound for all my sabers. This is a much better board. Im officially going to use this tutorial for future econo - sound builds

Thanks a million Big Andy!

Big Andy
Knight Commander

Dark side points please.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »

Hmm then it is quite possible that the sound board does have an ability to drive the led on its own without a resistor then... Possibly even overdriving the led slightly without blowing it up, much like how  a red p4 can be over driven with two AA batteries without any ill effects. You could also be under powering the led as well too..... How long have you been running theses sabers with this kindof setup? have you noticed any excess heat? Also what led types have you been using? Are they all P4's from ultrasabers or have you been using other leds for theses sound boards? what power source have you been using with each of these leds setups? Do you use the same one for each led?

I have run this setup for quite some time now like 6 months or so. I have always used the $25 led modual from ultra for these. I have not notices any excessive heat at all. I also always power them with 4 1.2watt 700mAh Energizer recharge AAA's. I have not noticed any issues with any of them.

u can run multiple type setups off these boards and NO it does not act as an LED driver it works more like pass thru meaning what ever voltage supply u run will be run to the LED.  So if u run 3.7V that what will be run to the LED. With 3.7V u dont need a resistor or puck when running single color LED i have not run multicolor setups on a hasbro, but i know from running GB LED with LED AV switch in parralel off board my main blade wasnt as bright as it should be so it is somewhat limited. U can get around this by wiring AV switch pos+ off battery with the neg- going to board.  You can use a 7.4V battery pack if that what u have but u need to get a 5V voltage regulator to not fry components on board, if you do this just know that the board will supply 5V to the LED so if running red or amber P4 be careful. U could run a LUX V if done right.  I have even wire LED AV switches to the neg- on speaker to give my LED switch a flickering effect to the idle hums and swing effects, so like i say u can really do alot with these boards for the price and u can add recharge ports and accent LED as well

I have never run an AV switch off of one of these boards so I wouldn't know about that, however I have never had any issue with the led being dim as it were so my guess is it was because of the AV switch.

I loved the videos.  This has to be hands down the very best how to tutorial I have seen thus far.  To keep from burning yourself with a lighter, I have found that some of the older model hair dryers work wonders for shrink tube.  If you can find a hobby store that provides supplies for Card Stocking, you can get a nice hand held model that works wonders.  Just don't mind the colors as they are usually pink or light purple. 

I'm a cook actually so I'm used to being burned and it doesn't really bug me, however that is great advise for anyone who doesn't want to be burned or would rather not be burned.

After watching this video I am really glad I didnt execute the plans for my original summer project which was going to be hasbro Obi econo sound for all my sabers. This is a much better board. Im officially going to use this tutorial for future econo - sound builds

Thanks a million Big Andy!

Hey ur welcome and honestly I prefer the old MR soundboards to these but they are hard to find and aint nearly as inexpensive. On that note however I strongly suggest against using the MR yoda sound card, I used one in this saber in the video and it went out on me which is why I installed this one into it. The yoda soundboard is so small it is very weak and can't take as strong of an impact as these. And of course these are no where as durable as obsidian. However these are way cheaper than obsidian so therefor a good option if you don't have a ton of money.   

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 153

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »

That's surprising that the yoda MR one went out on you, and these ones do not. It's a testament to how well these will work for  budget - builds. After I watched these vids I was thinking about it.. and I just might buy an empty consular hilt when I get the money and this soundboard to make an affordable, quality Qui Gon hilt.

Volund Starfire
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 01:55:41 PM »

What is the width of the 4AAA battery holder?  I am curious as I am looking to install this on a custom-made 1" I.D. hilt.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:59:36 PM by Volund Starfire » Logged

Dettam
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 24

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »

Thank you. You just saved me a few hours! thanks for sharing.

Big Andy
Knight Commander

Dark side points please.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 08:35:37 PM »

What is the width of the 4AAA battery holder?  I am curious as I am looking to install this on a custom-made 1" I.D. hilt.

I'm not sure the of the exact measurement however I know the 4-AAA without a speaker will fit into any saber and the 4-AAA with a speaker will only fit into V3's or other sound capable sabers. For example: While the sound card from the ultimate FX will fit into a Aeon V2 the battery pack with the speaker attached will not so you would need to find a different speaker and way of installing it.

Dettam
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 09:28:39 PM »

The speaker is .315 inches in diameter, and .520 inches high. You can "trim" some plastic off the side to get to about .225 in diameter.

Dettam
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »

the 4 AAA battery holder is .885 by .960, with batteries in it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: