Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: A note on shipping to CANADIAN customers  (Read 61327 times)
Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 12:10:32 AM »

Sounds about right.  Bloody rip off artists lol. Oh well I got my saber in the end and love it

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

xXCheungXx
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 07:57:09 PM »

First off, I want to say thank you to ultrasabers and everything they've done for us! I am sure everybody appreciates the effort you guys do to satisfy us Smiley

So this is going to be my second time i've ordered a saber. The first one i've ordered was from a grab bag which is at a great price, but due to the fact that I've been reading around and being informed about the brokerage fees, I decided to go with the most expensive shipping service, which was Fedex Air at ~$45. That brought the total to about $100, but it was necessary if i wanted to avoid those fees. In the end, I received my saber and wasn't charged anything at all which was great!

Today, I had my second saber arrive to me, this time I bought the Graflex SE at a total of 306 + $20 in shipping. I went with UPS Standard this time, just to give it a shot.
To no surprise, I was charged a brokerage fee at about $40. On the spot, I rejected the payment and my lovely saber left my sight. I was planning to self clear, but seeing as how if I do, i would be charged duty and HST anyways.

I was wondering if I should just pay as it is because HST at 0.13% of $306 is still $40.

But nonetheless, if anyone does not want to go through the troubles of brokerage fees, they should always choose by air. It may be more but in the long run, it is the cheaper cost.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 08:01:25 PM »

Yeah im not sure why UPS hits us so hard, but it happens. If the brokerage is close to the taxes you would have paid, just pay the brokerage, if its a big difference, then self clear.

"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

LordDesann
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -3

Is that your friend in the woodchipper?!!

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 12:55:19 PM »

What ever happened to FedEx? I remember US offering it a while back.

Staff Member of East Coast Sabers (Saber Club)
(www.eastcoastsabers.com)

AB Raven
SY Bellicose
FO Overlord
BR Dark Liberator v3

windrunner
Force Sensitive

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 01:39:36 AM »

I have a slightly different issue, and hopefully there's some idea of what to do in my case...

I'm not actually looking to purchase a new saber at the moment - but I was hoping to pick up a few accessories. (In particular, a belt clip, saber plug and couple of replacement batteries.)  The total for this is around $20... but the shipping options come out to approximately $20, $30 and $40.  For something that likely weighs less than 2 pounds... this seems a little high. Smiley  As well, if I select UPS shipping, add in the unpredictable 'brokerage fee' you guys have been talking about and it really doesn't make much sense...

Anyone have any ideas on what to do in this case?  I *may* be buying another saber in the future, but that's currently not planned nor guaranteed.  I admit that I haven't reached out to the US guys directly yet, but will if that makes the most sense.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »

best thing to do in those situations is hold off for a group order with buddies, and split the shipping

Luke & Corran (I,J)

windrunner
Force Sensitive

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 02:43:00 AM »

Thanks... makes sense. Smiley

jpwic
Force Sensitive

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 02:22:51 AM »

I actually do work for a customs broker and perhaps I could give some advice.

First, I would always choose to self clear, no matter the courier used as any of them should/could be charging for Customs depending on whether or not the shipper chooses to send something prepaid or not.

When I get to customs, I would say to the officer you are presenting the paperwork too, that you think this item should be classified under HS 9503.90.00.99 (the HS Tariff is what determines the duties payable on an item), as this is a duty free HS the goods should not be dutiable. Unfortunately we are obligated to pay GST/HST or GST/PST on any purchases made in Canada as we are the end user of the produce, consider it lucky if you don't. There are very few instances where taxes are not payable (most non prepared food items, Canadian goods returning back to Canada to be repaired, etc..). In many instances though for personal imports they won't charge GST/HST/PST on shipments valued under $1600 Canadian I've noticed as these are considered Low Value (although I don't quite know the reason personal shipments are exempted but commercial shipments are not, I work on the commercial side).

In addition, if the paperwork (and any packaging the Sabre comes in) is clearly marked as being manufactured in the US and there being a statement attesting to this on the commercial invoice, any duties should be waved under NAFTA. The act of constructing/building the sabre should be sufficient to qualify the finished product under NAFTA.

Now for the standard disclaimer, I'm saying this totally unofficially in no legal/advisory way and this is my opinion only and is in no way to be considered legal / customs advice. I'm just saying what I know (or think for that matter, and I'm sorry for that last sentence Tongue)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:29:46 AM by jpwic » Logged

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1

Grey Jedi Assassin

!
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 11:57:28 PM »

I just got my shipment confirmation and I am glad to see that to me in Canada Ultra Sabers used FedEx!
Should be no problem with fees at my door now!

Thanks Ultra!

Keep me as a Grey Jedi Please

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

Thonolan
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 43

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »

wait... Fedex? When did that start?

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »

wait... Fedex? When did that start?

Not sure. My obsidian board is coming through FedEx too...

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 04:12:07 PM »

Let me add that I ordered an extra blade for the Graflex and that's coming through FedEx too. Haven't seen any official announcement though...

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 05:18:52 PM »

I didnt pay any extra fees! Haza!

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 02:36:13 AM »

Noticed you updated the main page. Thanks Deep!

C=Custom, D=Dark

Nefretta
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -2

Sith Sorcerer

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 03:13:37 AM »

Just wanted to post my recent experience with shipping via USPS International Shipping to Canada.

I hate UPS with a passion, and my only options were USP or USPS so I went with USPS.
I have never had a problem with USPS, and that continues to be the case.

I received my Saber via USPS a week after I ordered it. I was extremely pleased with this as most shipments I get from the states takes 2-4 weeks.
The big problem I have had with UPS in general is if I am not home or awake when UPS tries to deliver a package, I have to drive 2 hours out to pick it up, then 2 hours back.

When I get a package via USPS, Canada Post tries to deliver it, if I am not home or asleep, I can just pick up the package locally the next day with no problems.

I had no problems at all via USPS Smiley

So, I also won a Saber in the Raffle (Thanks Ultra Sabers!!) and it is coming via FedEx. 
I have never received a package via FedEx before so I hope this goes well!

BR Dark Arbiter w/ Sound and FoC (Orange) - Review Coming Soon!
Autumn Raffle Prize - VA Bellicose w/ Sound - Review Coming Soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: