Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: A note on shipping to CANADIAN customers  (Read 61027 times)
Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 701

« on: June 14, 2012, 10:04:13 PM »

We have added USPS International Shipping back for shipping to Canada only.

So our choices for our Canadian customers are:

FedEx International Economy: http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guide/our-services/international/index.html?qgroup=toggle-c3&qid=FedEx_International_Economy

USPS International Shipping: https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-international.htm

We added USPS International Shipping back because the complaints about the Custom and Brokerage fees for UPS Standard were beginning to mount and these complaints were aimed at us.  We have nothing to do with Brokerage and Customs fees, those are all dictated by each countries customs agents.  We do everything we possibly can to minimize these charges.

We have also gotten rid of UPS all together and switched to FedEx due to these complaints.  For what we've been told customers are rarely if ever charged Brokerage Fees when using FedEx International Economy.

Here is my synopsis of the 3 shipping methods to Canada:

UPS Standard
NO LONGER OFFERED.  TOO MANY COMPLAINTS
This is the cheapest method, which is good.  The tracking is very reliable and damage to packages is covered and claims are easy to file, which is good as well.  There is a moderate chance that you will be charged a Brokerage or Customs fee when choosing this shipping method, this is bad.  However, many customers are not charged anything extra at all, but some are, we have NO control over this.  This is dictated by customs.  This method is faster than USPS International Shipping, but slower than UPS Worldwide Expedited.

FedEx International Economy
This is the fastest possible shipping method we offer to Canada.  The tracking is very reliable and damage to packages is covered and claims are easy to file, which is good as well.  There is a NO chance that you will be charged a Brokerage fee and a very low chance you will be charged a Customs fee when choosing this shipping method.  Almost no customers ever have to pay extra when choosing this shipping method to Canada, but rarely some do on large orders, we have NO control over this.  This is dictated by customs.

USPS International Shipping
The tracking is very unreliable and it is nearly impossible to get damage claims covered for damage during shipping, which is bad.  There virtually no chance you will be charged a Brokerage or Customs fee, I have never had it happen with a package to Canada, but again we have no control over this, it is dictated by customs.  But I have never had it happen on one of our packages, which is good.  This is the slowest method of shipping, which is bad.

Please feel free to chime in with your shipping experience for ULTRASABERS shipping to CANADA.  Please don't refer to your baseball bat or big screen tv shipping to Canada. Or your Ultrasabers shipping to New Zealand.  Just on Ultrasabers shipping to Canada.  Even if it is just to say that you got you package via FedEx International Economy and you didn't have to pay anything.  Or even if 7 people have already said the same thing before you, feel free to say the same thing again.  I'm sure all feedback will help others make their decisions.

Thanks for reading
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:23:28 PM by Deep » Logged

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 10:10:38 PM »

Thanks for adding the options Emory!

In our little group here in winnipeg, we have a few different accounts and have ordered multiple sabers, sometimes one at a time, sometimes multiples.

It seems for only one or two sabers, (or one staff) none of us have been charged the brokerage, however with larger orders where it increases the weight, if not the size of the box, our guys have been charged brokerage. I agree, this is not ultras fault, its UPS.

Eight months ago our airsoft group did a 2500$ group order, across multiple teams (about 50 players got in on it) from a site out of hong kong, in order to save on shipping. Shipping was about 300$ on top of that, UPS in all their wisdom decided to charge an additional 300$ in brokerage.

Its something with our stupid border and customs, they like to do things to gouge canadians further for not buying locally i guess.

Word to the wise for all other canadian ultrasabers fans, one or two sabers, use the good old UPS standard, you should be fine and not be charged.

Anything beyond that, either use USPS and let it take longer...OR spend the extra on the expidited worldwide shipping. No extra fees on a whim by UPS...AND you get your sabers faster :-D

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 10:54:19 PM »

I'm in Nova Scotia Canada and have only ordered single sabers or electronics. Regular UPS works fine and is cheapest. Once it's turned over to Purolater it moves faster but UPS says 8 days and they mean it.

Good idea to add the USPS but I think I'll stick with the tried and true method.

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 11:04:58 PM »

I suppose it depends on where you are, here in winnipeg it comes right from a ups truck. As i said, 1 or 2 sabers we have never been charged brokerage. However larger orders, usually 3 or more , they do charge us, and the amount seems to vary for some reason.

"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Canadianknight
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 23

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:01:36 AM »

First off, thank you Emory for offering us additional options.  Much appreciated.

I'm a newbie here, and just ordered my second (!) saber.  My first one came UPS, and I paid 17 bucks to UPS for "brokerage fees" when it arrived.

My second one is coming UPS as well.

Now... I must say, that anyone getting mad at US (or any other American retailer) for having to pay import/GST/brokerage should learn what these fees are.  As Emory said, it isn't the retailers fault... and I've seen a few retailers simply stop shipping to Canada to avoid the complaints.  I'm delighted to see Emory taking the better road to keep us Canucks happy.  Smiley

However... let me offer a tip to you all...  UPS "brokerage" fees are complete at total BS.  They are pretty much random, and are pretty much a money-grab.  (I remember getting two sabers from MR several years ago... identical boxes... a week apart.  One had a brokerage fee in the 30 dollar range.  The other... nothing.)

"That's all fine CK, but I want my package" you think.

Here's how to do it.  Find out where your cities CBSA office is (Canadian Border Services Agency).

When the UPS guy comes to your door, and tells you that you owe XXX dollars for "brokerage" fees, tell the driver you refuse the shipment, and that you'll "self-clear" the package.  Go to your CBSA office, with a copy of your purchase invoice (showing how you paid, and for what) and your UPS tracking number.  You'll pay the required GST and duty (if any) and be on your way.  Take your paperwork from CBSA to the UPS office, and claim your package.  Once you've cleared it yourself, they can't charge you their BS fees.

This made headlines in Calgary a while back, as a guy did just that (paying $1.37 in tax, rather than the 19 dollars UPS wanted), and when he got his package at UPS, they still wanted the fee.  He took his package and left, at which time the UPS supervisor called the police and accused the guy of theft.  UPS then apologized, and claimed they hadn't "implemented internal procedures regarding self clearance and hadn't trained their staff".  They further said they needed six weeks to properly train their people.   (This is also total BS, as people have been able to self-clear their packages for quite some time.)

So.... to sum up...

• Ask the seller to write "self-clear" on the outside of the box so UPS knows your intent then track the box yourself
  • If the box comes to your door anyway, reject it and get the tracking number. Or just inform the driver you will self-clear it, if it's not written on the package.
  • Next go to the CBSA office and give them a copy of the invoice from the seller and the UPS tracking number
  • CBSA will decide if it needs to inspect your package or release it without inspection and will calculate the tax or duty owed
  • Take the receipt to your UPS pickup location, and claim your package.

I happen to have a lady working for me part-time, who has been a full-time employee of the CBSA for many years.  I just corroborated this procedure with her, and she told me they get quite a few people there self-clearing their UPS packages for this very reason.  She also told me that the UPS charges are ridiculous.

Next time they try to charge me a stupid amount of money for a package, I'll be doing this myself.

Hope this is useful!  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:29:33 AM by Canadianknight » Logged

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 06:00:39 AM »

Brilliant post my my cowtown Jedi friend! Points!!

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Canadianknight
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 23

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 06:16:58 AM »

Brilliant post my my cowtown Jedi friend! Points!!

My pleasure.

Granted, it makes for a bit of running-around to get your goodies, but it depands A) How much UPS is trying to gouge you and B) how tired you are of being gouged.   Wink

Thanks for the points!  Cheesy

batty53
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

May the force be with you..... Always.....

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 06:43:35 AM »

living on Vancouver Island in BC and hate using UPS for cross border shipping.
I asked to have my saber shipped USPS and the Awesome people at US said "no problem" Smiley
After ordering my saber and construction, it actually arrived very fast (about a week plus) and with $0.00 to pay.
I have used UPS in the past and refused shipments (about 2 years ago) because they wanted $40 for a $12 item  Angry
As some people have no problems with UPS, I might try them again (because I know the driver from where I work)
But thank you US for providing this as an option!! Cheesy

batty53
My the Force be with you

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 07:05:42 PM »

So i had a fun 30 min phone call with ups today.

They decided to charge me 22$ and change brokerage for my archon v2 being delivered tomorrow.

The thing is, two previous packages shipped in march (guardian) and june (prophecy) i wasnt charged brokerage for, just stunt sabers, all 3 of them, like the archon.

The only thing is, the archon is in pieces, because ultra and deep are awesome and agreed to send it to me in parts so i could assemble it myself for my knight saber.

Apparantly UPS decided to value the saber higher because it was "multiple items"

So after 15 min of explaining to the guy on the phone that they were the same thing each time, and providing him with 2 previous tracking numbers, for which i was not charged any brokerage. Then waiting 5 min on hold. And then explaining for another 10 min to a supervisor that the items were the exact same thing, they dropped the brokerage charges and i only owe 4.61$ in GST (government sales tax) at the door.

I can live with that.

Larger orders valued higher, i understand the brokerage, i dont like it,  but i know how to self clear and it can be dealt with. It just really bothered me that they had set a precedent at not charging me the brokerage on two previous orders for what amounted to the exact same thing (the guardian was actually more expensive than the archon) the only difference being that the archon was in pieces.

out of curiosity any non canadian forumites get charged brokerage by UPS when recieving shipments from somewhere other than the USA? Im just curious.

Ultra and deep, you guys are great, and i cant wait to open that thing up tomorrow and build it on the weekend!

Luke & Corran (I,J)

batty53
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 06:48:40 AM »

After reading this I am not sure about having my next order (a Saber for my Fiance & Staff for myself) shipped UPS.  I was going to try it for giggles but they would not come close to half the cost of my War Glave, that cost me nothing at the door ($10 more to ship USPS over UPS)  Hrmmmm......
Much to ponder I have......

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 07:22:32 AM »

If its multiple sabers(staff counting as2) there will be brokerage, our guys know that and accept that.

It was more that they had set a president with multiple other shipments of a single saber at a time, where ups didn't charge brokerage. At least 3 orders I had done personally, and another 4 that others in my group had done.

That's really the only reason I took issue with it this time. When I finally get around to ordering my staff, I'll pay the brokerage and deal with it, as it is considered multiple sabers.

Dunno why ups likes to do this specifically to Canadians, but they do.

A buddy of mine was charged 40$ by them, for 4 mtg boosters he bought online that we're from an older set. It was like 12$ worth of cards, and he had paid 10$ or so in shipping.

The amount they charge for brokerage is completely arbitrary.

Please keep in mind, this isn't ultra's fault. This is ups themselves having horrible business practices for Canadian customers.

Ultra was awesome and went out of his way to look into other shipping methods for us.

The only reason I didnt use one this time is because in our experience, we have never been charged that kriffing fee on single saber orders.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:25:49 AM by Veldryne » Logged

Luke & Corran (I,J)

batty53
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 02:54:51 PM »

I understand that Smiley  What I am saying is that I think I will go with USPS option that the AWESOME US staff have so nicely added for us for my next order!!
Hopefully in another month or so (once the $$ is saved up and maybe there will be a back to school sale LOL)

Killic
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 10

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 07:28:12 PM »

I did UPS Worldwide Expedited and I got hit with a $10.00 brokerage fee, $1.30 brokerage fee tax, and $5.12 Goods and Services Tax. So $16.42 in total charges.

Next time I'm going to try UPS standard
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:35:35 PM by Killic » Logged

Sabers: FO  Dominix V2 aka Torch
              FO Dominix V3 aka Flame Brand

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »

Where are you locacted?

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Killic
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 10

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »

Where are you locacted?

Niagara Falls.

Sabers: FO  Dominix V2 aka Torch
              FO Dominix V3 aka Flame Brand

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: