Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Down
Author Topic: Display Ideas and Tutorials - Combined thread  (Read 153969 times)
Eiyame
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 92

If you want a costume PLEASE message me on Etsy

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 05:10:21 AM »

MOD NOTE: There were some broken photo links that had to be repaired, so apologies if there is any inconvenience or confusion. I THINK they're all set right now. Wink Eiyame's wonderful Tutorial starts below.=/\= Moderator Manroon

This is how to make a stand for a single lightsaber stand, similar to the ForceFX stands.

You will need....

2 - 1/4" x3 1/2" Tool Hooks with Protective Vinyl Coating
1 - 6" x 14" Pine Innkeeper Signboard
1 - 2 FL OZ Ceramcoat Black Acrylic Paint
1 - 11 OZ Krylon Crystal Clear Finish
1 - Size 10 or bigger Paint Brush
1 - Pack of Felt Pads

Optional Supplies

1 - 2 FL OZ Ceramcoat Purple Acrylic Paint (Sub out for whatever color  you want)
1 - Size 4  Paint Brush
1 - Size 0  Paint Brush

Other stuff

Newspaper
Water
Plate to pour your paint on
Pencil
Ruler
Duck Tape
Fine Grit Sandpaper

Where to get Supplies (USA)
Remember these are just rough numbers check your local store for pricing.

-Home Depot-

Tool Hooks- $1 each
Krylon Crystal Clear Finish - $6

-Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store-

Innkeeper Signboard - $8
Ceramcoat Paint - $1.50
Paint Brushes - $6-$8 for set or you can buy them in singles
Felt Pads - $3-$5

Since I do a lot of crafting, I had the paint and brushes even the Krylon already. Your cost might be different depending on your local store and what you already have. I know most of us have a paint brush or two lying around.

My Total Cost:

$15

Tutorial:

Now that you have all your supplies, get some news paper to cover your work area. Just because this is water based acrylic doesn’t mean you can't make a big mess with it.

Make sure you gather all your stuff up BEFORE starting that way you know where it is.

You can sand down your Sign if you want, I didn't but you can.

1. Lay on your base coat of black paint and let dry. Repeat if needed for better coverage. Watch that it doesn't stick to the newspaper.

2. Once TOTALLY DRY, flip over and do the same thing to the bottom.

3. Let dry really well before moving on to step 4

4. Add detail if you wish. I added purple detailing.

5. Again LET DRY OVER NIGHT (I will explain why in a bit)

6. Figure out where you want to place your tool hooks. Mark with pencil and ruler to make sure they are square(ish) to each other. I placed mine center about 2 inches from the ends.

7. You can pre drill holes if you want, but you can also just muscle them into place like a real force user. I just screwed them in without pre drilling the holes; it wasn't hard.

8. Once you got your tool hook holes in take them out, and touch up your paint job if need and let it dry really good. I put mine outside in the sun for about 30mins.

9. Take your stand outside, don't be stupid and do it in your house. Its spray paint, it smells and can be messy. Cover anything you don't want to get spray paint on.

10. Spray both sides of your stand. CAREFULLY! Hold can about 12" away form your stand. Meaning do what it says on the back of the can.

*If you don’t' let the stand dry overnight and/or hold the can about 12" away you might end up with a odd rainbow effect or even make the acrylic run and spot. MEANING BECAREFUL

If you want to add another coat do so after letting the first one dry for about 10-20 minutes.

11. Let the stand dry 1 HOUR, OR 30mins in 75-80 degree weather.

12. After an hour you can go ahead and replace the tool hooks, and wrap the exposed metal with duck tape (I used purple) to finish the look and cover the sharp edges of the screw.

13. Now go ahead and put the pads on the bottom.

Alright there you are down now.

You can sub out the black for any color you want. But I like black because it goes where everything.

NOTE ON THE TOOL HOOKS: One will need to be a bit higher than the other if you want your saber to sit level with its blade on.

~Helpful Tips~

-Paint Brushes-

Buying a good set of paint brushes is a good idea. A really nice set can run you $20+ BUT they will last for years if you take care of them.

Never wash your paint bushes in warm or hot water. Use cold. This will make sure you will not melt the glue they use to help hold the bristles of the brush in.

Wash your paint brushes right after use. This will make sure you will get 98%-100% of the paint out. The longer it sits the harder it will be to get out.

Using a cup of water, to soak your brushes is fine, but don't let them sit too long. You can permanent bend your brushes that way, and loosen the glue.

When washing your brushes never scrub the bush. Gently run the bush over your hand like your painting and then gently squeeze the brush in-between two fingers to get the paint out of it.

Dry your brushes flat or wrong end down in a cup. Don't put them in bush end first. This will bend your brush.

If you brush gets ratty ends, you can take a pair of very sharp shares and trim the ends.

Pay attention to what size of brush you are using and use the right tool for the job. Don't try and use a large brush like a number 10 when trying to do fine detail painting

-Paint-

Acrylic is very forgiving, and gives rich colors. Also its water based meaning if you end up dumping the whole bottle on yourself it will come out with a washing or two (just don't dry it).

Sometimes it will take more than one coat to cover and give rich coloring. Because wood really likes to soak up paint.

Sometimes the cheaper paint isn't the better. If you have a question about what paint to get talk to a employee that works in that part of the store and tell them about your project they can help point you in the right direction.

Take it slow if you are painting with Acrylic for the first time, go slowly and learn how the paint likes to go on whatever it is your painting. That way when you get to the details you know better what size of bush to use and how the paint will go on.

Oil paints are great but if your just starting out with painting not a great idea. They do give sweet coloring BUT they take forever to dry and don't come out of clothing, or sofas.

-Other Stuff-

Painters tape is nice. But not a fix all. You will have to go back and clean up your lines, even with using blue painters tape.

Take your time on projects. They will come out better in the end for it.

UPDATE:  PB pics removed.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:37:24 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME HERE. I VARY VARY RARELY LOG IN ANYMORE SINCE I AM SO BUSY. PLEASE MESSAGE ME ON FACEBOOK OR ETSY TO GET A HOLD OF ME.

For Costume Information: http://etsy.com/shop/aetherealdesigns
For Æthereal Designs Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AEtherealDesigns

The hooded figure
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 06:52:14 AM »

Wow!!!!           step ladders for $39.99 !!!!!!!

Pindragon
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 31

I walk the line between the darkness and the light

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 07:37:32 AM »

Sounds like a troll. Unless its constructive or polite. And that doesn't particularly come off as polite.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11643.0
http://pin-dragon-designs.tumblr.com/
Guardian - Orange
Overlord - Guardian Blue
Nic Monarch - Emerald
Malice -To be Announced!

Eiyame
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 07:57:33 AM »

Just becuase this tutorial is up on the forum doesn't mean you are being forced to use it.

Most people who customize sabers have 90% of this stuff laying around anyway. So word of advice, read the forum rules and don't be a jerk about it.

I made this becuase some forum members expressed an interest in such a thing. If you don't care for it don't post to it, and don't use the tutorial.

And for your information, buying a stand like this can run between $60-$80+ on ebay. And those are the plastic ForceFX ones; if you can even find them.

So I kindly ask you, don't be rude.

PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME HERE. I VARY VARY RARELY LOG IN ANYMORE SINCE I AM SO BUSY. PLEASE MESSAGE ME ON FACEBOOK OR ETSY TO GET A HOLD OF ME.

The hooded figure
Knight Officer

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 08:06:46 AM »

Just becuase this tutorial is up on the forum doesn't mean you are being forced to use it.

Most people who customize sabers have 90% of this stuff laying around anyway. So word of advice, read the forum rules and don't be a jerk about it.

I made this becuase some forum members expressed an interest in such a thing. If you don't care for it don't post to it, and don't use the tutorial.

And for your information, buying a stand like this can run between $60-$80+ on ebay. And those are the plastic ForceFX ones; if you can even find them.

So I kindly ask you, don't be rude.

Nah that is a good stand, yeah I know it saves people alot of money thank you, sorry if anybody was offended, just some constructive humor.

If I ever make a stand bomb it. everyone just bomb it, "Hey nice television you have" haha expect it back though Smiley

Eiyame
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 08:18:46 AM »

Nah that is a good stand, yeah I know it saves people alot of money thank you, sorry if anybody was offended, just some constructive humor.

If I ever make a stand bomb it. everyone just bomb it, "Hey nice television you have" haha expect it back though Smiley

Apology accepted. Just be careful on how you word things from now on, OK? Because it came off a little rude, becuase people take things at face value around here. So just clarify things next time, so people don't get upset. A joke is only a joke if everyone finds it funny.

SILVERBACK
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -77

i like dark side points and cookies

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »

this isnt the first time this character has ruffled some feathers on this forum. one would think you would say to yourself before you type and ask  "is what i am about to type appropriate for this forum" so please be respectful to others and they will respect you.

The hooded figure
Knight Officer

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 11:52:34 AM »

sorry
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:13:57 PM by The hooded figure » Logged

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »

That stand is brilliant! I work at Lowes, hello employee discount!

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

jedimasta556
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -13

Should I Listen?

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 03:14:51 PM »

LOL

Dark Side Points Are Like Pie To Me. (I LOVE Pie!!) Give Me Dark Side Points. GIVE. THEM. TO. ME. NOW!!!!!!

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 03:50:51 PM »

Cool Idea, But ill stick with my traditional Katana Stands

Keep me as a Grey Jedi Please

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »

Fantastic tutorial! Though i would probably use spray paint rather than paint brushes since i have alot of that lying around, but you use what you have I guess. You know whats funny is when i was coming up with my saber stand idea I saw the very same sign board at the walmart art/crafts section and thought about making it into a stand too, but decided against it since i couldn't think of a way to hold up the saber. Now that I see you using tool hooks I'am smacking my head thinking "thats what i could have used!"  Cheesy So now the stand tutorial cycle is now complete!

*Topic Stickied*

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

Mitth_Fisto
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -7

I'm Shade, and I'm not here to rescue you.

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 06:58:56 PM »

I think I actually have most of these tools already, although instead of sign board I might use the oblong tree trunk slice I have with a wood burner and clear lacquir I think with this tutorial will look sweet  Grin

Thanks for sharing Cool

Cool Chaos, it's good for business.

LiethStarKiller
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 11

Knights of Antioch

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »

I really love this idea! I'm gonna make one using black like you did, but then trim it in gold paint to display my Aeon LE V3. Fantastic walk-through! Point for you Smiley

Aeon LE V3 Guardian Blue
Archon V2.1 Counselor Green
Malice Blazing Red

Eiyame
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 07:55:31 PM »

Fantastic tutorial! Though i would probably use spray paint rather than paint brushes since i have alot of that lying around, but you use what you have I guess. You know whats funny is when i was coming up with my saber stand idea I saw the very same sign board at the walmart art/crafts section and thought about making it into a stand too, but decided against it since i couldn't think of a way to hold up the saber. Now that I see you using tool hooks I'am smacking my head thinking "thats what i could have used!"  Cheesy So now the stand tutorial cycle is now complete!

*Topic Stickied*

Thanks, I had this idea hit me about 2am; when most of my good ideas hit. My first idea called for just a simple 1x4" but I like this better it has a more finished look.

I find that for beginner crafters water based acrylic paint is easier and a lot less messy but if you are comfortable with spray paint by all means go for it. Its not foam so it wont melt when coming in contact with the spray paint.

Thanks for the sticky. Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: