Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dry Brushing tutorial to add weathering to a saber  (Read 65234 times)
deevee2
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 110

« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2018, 03:51:57 AM »

I tend to use rattlecan, mostly Krylon
Okay cool - thanks man! Already have a few cans of Krylon from other projects so this works out well.

Ultrasabers hilt builds:
  Archon 3.1 (RGBW, sound, activation box)
  Spectre (Neopixel, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Aeon LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Dominix LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)

Ultrasabers empties:
  Chosen One, Graflex, 2x Dorinians, Savior, Raven, Consular

Hilt builds:
  Custom chassis, 18650 Li-Ion, bass speaker (2-4w), recharge port, 3rd party saber controller

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2018, 05:20:06 AM »

I too like the "rattle" can. Krylon or Rustolieum both work well, the finish is up to you. Brush on is good for small areas or pieces, but if you're doing the whole hilt go spray for nice even coverage.

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

deevee2
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 110

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2018, 05:27:58 AM »

I too like the "rattle" can. Krylon or Rustolieum both work well, the finish is up to you. Brush on is good for small areas or pieces, but if you're doing the whole hilt go spray for nice even coverage.

Okay cool, that makes sense. I'm going to try light dry brushing for some weathering on my Aeon v4's then figured I needed some kind of clearcoat to hold it all together. Now trying to figure out the best way to hold it for spraying, might craft something really quick out of some spare 2x4's and a wooden dowel held sideways that I can hang the hilt on, then I can take that anywhere and spray it

Ultrasabers hilt builds:
  Archon 3.1 (RGBW, sound, activation box)
  Spectre (Neopixel, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Aeon LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)
  Dominix LE v5 (RGBW, SmoothSwing, sound)

Ultrasabers empties:
  Chosen One, Graflex, 2x Dorinians, Savior, Raven, Consular

Hilt builds:
  Custom chassis, 18650 Li-Ion, bass speaker (2-4w), recharge port, 3rd party saber controller

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2018, 10:08:46 PM »

used a mix of bottle and rattle on my latest project (click below to see album)… dry brushing and washes go a long way to making great effects. The tutorials on these forums are massively helpful and I refer to them constantly…still want to watch someone do a tutorial where they do battle damage…but that's me ;-)

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Darth Jaximus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

New to the Ultrasabers and Saberforum community19.

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2019, 05:51:00 PM »

First attempt using this method. Custom Dark Apprentice V4 LE

My sabers:
-Dark Apprentice V4 LE x2, Initiate V4 LE, Apprentice V4 LE x2, Dominix V3 LE, Aeon V3 LE, Dark Sentinel V3 LE

Wishlist: Dark Prophecy V3, Bellicose, Archon V2.1 (BVA), Manticore (AB), Consular, Menance CE x2 (BR - Maul staff), Raven, Lost Gray (AS), Fulcrum (AS), Grand Master, Archon V3.1, Dark Mantis (BR), emperors hand (VA)

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2019, 07:31:39 PM »

Looks very good there

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2019, 09:37:58 PM »

Looks very good there
Yeah, what HE said!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2020, 11:23:58 AM »

I have a saber that I am planning to customize and I'm planning on some weathering (who wants a shiny saber anyway?!?) & a leather wrap. I want to use some kind of a wash to give the hilt some "grime" effect. Can anyone give a tip on how to make and use a wash like this?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

MVHI JEDI
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 115

"Sometimes I amaze even MYSELF."

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2020, 07:43:43 PM »

I would think it's enamel paint, the kind you use for model kits or metal parts.  You can find it at any local hobby shop (if they sell model trains, model car or airplane kits, or wargaming miniatures they almost certainly have the paints) or places like Michaels or Hobby Lobby.  As Darth Rifter said, Testors or Model Masters are two common brands.  It comes in little bottles.

I find at least near me, the Testors are cheaper by almost a buck per bottle for the same size, and tend to dilute better.

LIGHT SIDE POINTS APPRECIATED WHEN EARNED.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: