Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: SWC VI Costume  (Read 17210 times)
Guardian Xentai Kaarz
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 20

Knights of the Lost Republic

« on: July 19, 2012, 09:47:59 PM »

I need a costume to wear to Star Wars Celebration VI, but I'm on a tight budget.  My style is more of a grey jedi. My saber is a Bane's Heart Bellicose, and I just need some advice, thanks.
Xentai Kaarz

GB Aeon v3 LE
BH Obsidian Bellicose
LIGHTSIDE POINTS!!

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 05:40:43 AM »

Star with any eastern style shirt of your choice. You should be able to grab something online for around 30 bucks, likely much cheaper with more digging. I just know off hand where to get a chinese shirt with a mandarin collar for that much. lol You can go mandarin, cavalry, gi, whatever the russian one is, or anything that gives you the feel. I've heard of people starting with medical scrubs before. Color is your choice, of course, but browns and grays would reflect the gray status you said you were going for.

I'd not think about a cloak for now... as I don't know where to get one on the cheap that will look good in a well lit area. Pants are pretty simple, and also can be had for 30 bucks and under online. I suggest any kind of martial arts pants, and go for a material like linen that has a nice natural look to it. Pick a color that's the same as your shirt, but a different shade so there's some layering to your look.

From there, get boots of your choice. Real high quality boots are pricey, but I know I've heard of some nice looking pleathers and such out there in that same 30 dollar price bracket. A belt can be made for that price as well by hitting your local Target or Wal Mart. Just get a plain black belt with a squarish buckle and either paint over or file off any text or logos on the buckle. Then suck it up and walk over to the women's belt section and pick out a nice match from those weird super thick fashion belts. Wear the regular one over the huge one and you have an instant Jedi belt. Pouches should be leather and can be picked up either at the con out of your spending fund, or from local army surplus or thrift stores. Knife cases work great as well, or you can get a spacey looking box and superglue some clips to the back to attach that as a pouch. You can also grab a covertec for your belt from US here for about 11 bucks. Even if you don't use it at the con, it looks real good on your belt while you carry the saber.

The last thing that will leave you is something to help layer your shirt more. You could try looking for some sort of old style vest like from a pirate movie, something long that would hang out from beneath your belt, or else you can pick up some cloth from someplace and throw together some tabbards if you have a friend who can do basic sewing. You could also throw together some cheapo-deluxe armor from foam or plastic and a little paint if you are creative enough and can lay your hands on a little of the stuff.

Hope that helps! Smiley

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:09:08 PM »

Grey Jedi is good for being on a budget, since you can get some different stuff for relatively cheap and not worry about having some kind of "standard" costume.

I always recommend getting an inexpensive karate gi, generally in black.  Master Artorius uses that for his standard Grey Jedi attire, with a charcoal robe over the top, and it looks like this:

He is on the right, just FYI.  Works pretty well IMO.

Guardian Xentai Kaarz
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 03:41:51 PM »

Thanks so much for the help you guys, I'll figure something out.  I already have a set of brown tabbards, black martial arts pants, Covertec clip, and a belt with square buckle. Sooo, i guess from here its time to find a black gi and some boots... i might try to find a cloak at the con. Smiley

GB Aeon v3 LE
BH Obsidian Bellicose
LIGHTSIDE POINTS!!

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:35:20 AM »

Off topic for a second.  Master Nero, you & MAV should think about going as Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker sometime.  That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw that picture.  Great costumes btw.

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Solinus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -209

Black Star Sabers

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 06:44:39 AM »

Thanks so much for the help you guys, I'll figure something out.  I already have a set of brown tabbards, black martial arts pants, Covertec clip, and a belt with square buckle. Sooo, i guess from here its time to find a black gi and some boots... i might try to find a cloak at the con. Smiley

Hit up Mystik Merchants. I got my cloak from them. They were quick and affordable.

Control your fear. Give in to your hate. Let it guide you along the path and soon you shall find yourself... home.

**Dark Side points appreciated.**

Guardian Xentai Kaarz
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »

I'd love to have a mystik merchants cloak but that'll have to wait till Halloween

GB Aeon v3 LE
BH Obsidian Bellicose
LIGHTSIDE POINTS!!

Rassilon
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 11

Grey Jedi Consular

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 12:40:18 AM »

Don't know if I'm too late, but to solve the boot thing, since I'm in the same boat, I'm thinking of going for something like these http://www.501st.com/crl/SL_CRL/SL1XX_Starkiller_HTG/1XX_15.jpg
All you need really are regular boots or leather shoes and then these will go up to the knee if you have extra fabric lying around.

"A "Grey Jedi" is someone who understands that what is "light" or "dark" is what resides in us, not in the Force, and seeks to better understand the whole of the Force without any restrictions or preconceptions."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: