Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Katana vs. Rapier  (Read 4997 times)
vash1128
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

« on: March 06, 2011, 08:19:19 PM »

Found a really good article discussing who would win a katana vs. rapier fight:

http://www.thearma.org/essays/katanavs.htm

Normally I shun discussions about martial arts vs other martial arts, but i think this article is especially well-thought out, written from the perspective of one who knows both the Western and Eastern art.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »

That's a pretty good read, even if it was inconclusive.  But I already know who would win:  The Jedi with his lightsaber.

claudio
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -1

bot here

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »

katana vs. rapier fight ?
Is another way to present the " Ninja vs. Pirate " topic ? Smiley

Darth Eyece
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -22

I am a force user, but I fight for no one cause...

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:44:23 PM »

now now, pirates used cutlasses, and ninja's used ko-katana, wakizashi, and tanto as their "primary" bladed weapons, typically. 

This is more of a "Rapier versus Katana" discussion, and they are both superb in their functions, but the two do not have the same functions.  So it comes down to the fighters, as always.  Ninja vs. Pirate:  I say Ninja.  Samurai versus English Duelist of equal amounts of experience:  I say it could be anyones game. 

On that note, lightsabers weren't always around, even fictionally, and it all began with "regular" (metal) swords.  This discussion has inspired me to post a quick question new thread, I'll be following this one!

"Sith Apprentice, 'Darth Eyece' sir." 
"Never 'eard of 'im."
"...this'll be the last time... I assure you..."
Due to the nature of my character, I would appreciate Dark Side points please...

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »

Ah, this article again.  Yeah, may as well compare a HAR-15A2 Omega Match Rifle to a standard M-16 Service Rifle.  Sure, the Omega is going to win a target shoot, but the M-16 is going to win battles.

Civilian weapons are made for a completely different purpose than a soldier's weapon.  Rapiers were developed as civilian weapons that would be dominant in duels and self defense.  The katana was developed as a weapon for the warrior caste who found themselves on horseback in battle fields against other armies.

The article puts the katana out of it's element while keeping the rapier in the role it was designed for - 1 on 1 dueling against an unarmored opponent.

Saying it all comes down to individual skill is just a cop out.  Truth is, certain weapons are superior to others depending on the situation.  In the unarmored duel, a rapier is the superior weapon when all other factors are equal.

Now, turn the tables, make the scenario an armored cavalry battle and the author would have to concede to the katana every time.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 02:08:34 AM »

Why not compare an  M-16 A1 Assault Rifle to a Springfield Model 1861 Rifled Musket while we're at it....

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Eyece
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -22

I am a force user, but I fight for no one cause...

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »

Well I wasn't shooting for a "cop-out" by saying it's down to the warrior, just that the elements of both fighters are superior for what they were designed to do.  It's obvious that situationally there is no one truly perfect sword (except where lightsabers are concerned, but even there, it's going to have a little to do with the saber,  situation and individual fighters' skill).  That being said, i'll resume my reading from the rafters, and mean no cop out statement here!

"Sith Apprentice, 'Darth Eyece' sir." 
"Never 'eard of 'im."
"...this'll be the last time... I assure you..."
Due to the nature of my character, I would appreciate Dark Side points please...

vash1128
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 06:12:07 PM »

Ah, this article again.  Yeah, may as well compare a HAR-15A2 Omega Match Rifle to a standard M-16 Service Rifle.  Sure, the Omega is going to win a target shoot, but the M-16 is going to win battles.

This is the exact reason I avoid comparing martial arts.  All too often I see people comparing, for example, karate and taekwondo, arguing for one side over the other while disregarding differences in the objectives of the two martial arts.

Just to play devil's advocate for a bit here, I don't really see the inconclusive conclusion to be a weakness in itself, but rather the result of a thorough analysis from an experienced martial artist.  There are advantages to both weapons in a duel, even though the rapier was specifically designed for 1 on 1 and the katana for battle (which also saw many 1 on 1 battles...).  The rapier, with its longer reach and greater speed, would want to keep longer distance and probe with surface cuts and thrusts until a lethal thrust could be applied.  The katana, with its greater power and devastating cuts, would want to get past the rapier's point.  As soon as this happens, advantage katana.

Second, can there ever really be "all things equal?"  Variances in skill, eccentricities in technique, attitude, situation, location, and  circumstances make each duel and each exchange unique.  For example, were a katana vs. rapier fight happen in an enclosed room, I think this would tip the scale in the katana's favor due to the rapier not having room to maneuver.  But it's up to the katana wielder to utilize this advantage to tip the scales.

In the end, even though it's a bit of a silly comparison, it's fun to think about and a good read. But I enjoy a good Pirate vs. Ninja discussion as much as the next guy Wink.

Onli-Won Kanomi
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 5

Jedi Knight Of Faith

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 11:16:10 PM »

*insert one's own preference* would win everytime...oh and my dad could whup your dad too! Wink LOL

plain Stunt [Guardian Blue]
gold Minilord [Adegan Silver]
purple Minilord [Fire Orange]
Initiate v1 DIY [Fire Orange]
Wraith v1 [Fire Orange]
Wraith LE [Sunrider's Destiny]
Dark Apprentice [Blazing Red]
The Overlord [SRD]
Liberator v2 [Violet Amethyst]
Shock LE DIY [under construction]

Darth Pelage
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -9

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »

I won't say who would win because I'm biased on both sides. XP Hmmm I would say that Katana vs. Jian would be more relevant and interesting.

Delete this account.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: