Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Getting a Costume.  (Read 6943 times)
Eiyame
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 92

If you want a costume PLEASE message me on Etsy

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 04:56:10 PM »

As someone who has learned from spending all day long in a costume at a Renaissance Festival, I can tell you that you do not want polyester, a poly blend, or any other man-made material (such as nylon, spandex, or lycra). They don't allow for breathing very well, so you will sweat more. Cottons, light wools, and other natural fabrics like muslin are ideally suited for long-term costume wear, as they breathe a lot better.

The number 1 problem with cotton is you have to iron it. Or it looks like hell. Wools can be itchy and are dry clean ONLY. Muslin also has the rep for being itchy. I rather be a little warm, than itchy.

I normally wear a cotton undershirt so I never have problems. Also I live in the Northwest and wear 90% of my costumes in the Fall, Winter and early Spring where if it gets above 65 -70 its weird.

Buy your fabric for the look and feel, worry about what its made out of after you pick it out. Just remember if its a little stretchy its going to be harder to work it. And if its cotton you are going to have to iron it ALL THE TIME to keep it looking nice.

PLEASE DO NOT MESSAGE ME HERE. I VARY VARY RARELY LOG IN ANYMORE SINCE I AM SO BUSY. PLEASE MESSAGE ME ON FACEBOOK OR ETSY TO GET A HOLD OF ME.

For Costume Information: http://etsy.com/shop/aetherealdesigns
For Ęthereal Designs Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AEtherealDesigns

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 09:06:40 PM »

As someone who has learned from spending all day long in a costume at a Renaissance Festival, I can tell you that you do not want polyester, a poly blend, or any other man-made material (such as nylon, spandex, or lycra). They don't allow for breathing very well, so you will sweat more. Cottons, light wools, and other natural fabrics like muslin are ideally suited for long-term costume wear, as they breathe a lot better.

Linen - linen wicks away sweat.  It can be very nice.

Muslin is cotton - if it doesn't get washed, the sizing could cause issues (wash fabric before wear)...

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 12:09:02 AM »

Linen - linen wicks away sweat.  It can be very nice.

Muslin is cotton - if it doesn't get washed, the sizing could cause issues (wash fabric before wear)...

Umm, you're supposed to wash all fabrics before sewing. The reason is twofold: 1) to bleed off any excess fabric dyes and 2) to preshrink the fabric before you sew.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: