Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: My First Saber: The Aeon (Violet Amethyst)  (Read 6750 times)
Obi Daktari
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« on: March 07, 2011, 05:50:09 PM »

After a lot of research I finally decided to pick up a saber from Ultra Sabers. For my first saber I went with the Aeon, because for me it was a practical and affordable first saber. I must say that I am very pleased with this saber. It doesn't feel "cheap" in any way, but rugged, very easy to handle, and not to mention beautiful.

The Hilt is really the perfect size. I was actually worried it would be too long, because they look so big in the pictures. I really didn't know what to expect. Once I took the saber out of the box all of my doubts were calmed. The hilt is perfectly sized for two-handed use, yet still more than manageable with one hand. The emitter is a little thicker than the rest of the blade, which for me was a huge PLUS, and was the reason for me purchasing this over the Standard Issue Battle Saber. The thick emitter creates a wonderful natural choke point directly beneath it for my hand to have extra control with during spinning and duels.

The Blade I chose was the UltraEdge Heavy Blade. When I compared this blade to my friend’s ForceFX stock blade the difference was night and day. The UltraEdge Heavy Blade is 100X more sturdy than the regular Force FX blade. The blade has very little wobble, and a lot of backbone. I am completely confident that if I wacked a telephone pole as hard as I could with this blade, that the only thing getting hurt would be my hands. Yes, literally. Having said all of that I must say that the blade is too heavy and therefore makes the saber very front-heavy. I am going to buy the regular UltraEdge because the balance point of this saber with the HeavyGrade is too far forward for proper handling. I will let you know how the UltraEdge compares with the HeavyGrade next week when my order comes in.

The Brightness/Color the color I chose was Violet Amethyst, and it is BEAUTIFUL. The shade is perfect and looks exactly like the shade of purple from the Star Wars movies. The blade is significantly brighter than the ForceFX Anakin blade that my friend has. I would not recommend shining the LED into your eyes with the blade off, because it can't possibly be good for you. It is really bright… Really.

I am very pleased with my purchase. So pleased, in fact, that I just ordered a Collectors Edition Prophecy (UltraEdge MidGrade/Blazing Red) as well as two Initiate blades. I will be reviewing those blades as soon as they arrive. I am excited to duel with my friends; we created a game called Star Wars Capture the Flag that can be played in large groups. Thank you Ultra Sabers for such a great saber! I am recommending your blades to all of my friends!

Here are some pictures of the beautiful Aeon (Violet Amethyst)

***After one week with the Aeon, I feel I should say a few more words about the saber to anyone interested in purchasing this hilt with a Heavy Gade blade.

I have dueled a lot with this blade over the past week, and the heavy grade blade is definitely strong. However, there seems to be an inner material in the blade that coils, and after being bent again and again has began to make a creeking sound when I swing the saber. Imagine an empty toilet paper roll that you pull, or a slinky. Inside the blade there is a similar structure, however not loose by any means, the coil is very tight and resistant. I am only mentioning this because it makes a slight creaking sound, and because there are a few little areas where the light refracts differently due to this inner coil being weathered from impact. Not very noticeable, but the blades are not indestructable and will wear with use. However, if the blade were several inches shorter, these issues would be minimized.

Also I would highly reccomend protecting your battery pack with electrical tape and some packing peanuts and even some foam between the middle of the hilt and the top of the battery pack if you plan to be doing any extreme dueling. Dropping your hilt could mean needing a new battery pack! I dopped my hilt on the carpet in my house and the top of the battery pack snapped right off.

Having said all of that, keep in mind that my friends and I have been very rough with these blades in order to truly test their durabilty. I am very pleased with the quality of this saber, and the battery pack issue is easily solved. I have yet to duel against another heavy blade, so keep that in mind, I have only dueled against "weaker" blades. Nevertheless, the blade is extremely durable, even at 36 inches, and I was very impressed that the blade lasted through so much abuse.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:42:48 PM by Obi Daktari » Logged

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 06:26:52 PM »

Good review.  I like the Aeon as well, although I prefer the heavy blades.  Now, I have but one request:  That you post the rules to this Capture the Flag game, so I can play it with my friends.

Obi Daktari
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:05:55 PM »

Thanks! Yeah the heavy blades are powerful for sure, I guess it's more of a personal preference. I'm considering getting a 32 inch HB instead of the 36. I think that might help to put the balance right above the choke point where I would like it.

I posted the rules for the game, here's the link. I hope you and your friends like it. Make sure to play at night!

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=818.0

JediMouseketeer
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:08:36 PM »

Wow. That Violet looks very vibrant. I also appreciate the pictures you have of the saber in-hand. My wife and I are looking at picking up a some sabers soon. The more pics and reviews the better!

May the Force be with you!

Obi Daktari
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 02:03:56 AM »

Yeah, the purple color is cool. I have 3 more saber's coming this monday, I will do a side by side review when they come. Unfortunately, the violet is turning red on impact when I duel, seems to be a rare issue with the blue LED. Gotta send the saber back for repairs on monday Sad

One thing I would definitely recommend with the Aeon is getting a 32 inch blade instead of a 36. It's not that the 36 is unnaturally long, but the shorter blade would be more balanced and sturdy, as well as hold the light better. This is just my opinion, but I've dueled with the Aeon a bunch now and I would have better control if the blade lost 4 inches. Especially with the weight of the Heavy Grade. I wish you the best getting the right saber for you and your wife!

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:18:20 AM »

Actually, that sounds kinda cool, if it could be controlled without doing damage.

The Jedi's blade flickered red as he swung it, intercepting his opponent's blade with all the fury of Vapaad...

ShadowKatt
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 06:03:49 AM »

A lot of people seem to be going with the violet lately. Although it is a beautiful color, I can see the appeal...

ATeligent
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -4

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »

Awsome review. It's certainly help me with my descision about getting one.

There is no Dark Side, nor a Light Side, There is only the Force
I will do what I must in order to keep the balance
The balance is what keeps me together
There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish
There is passion, yet emotion
Serenity, yet peace
Chaos, yet order
I am the wielder of the flame, the protector of balance
I am the holder of the torch, lighting the way
I am the keeper of the flame, soldier of balance
I am a guardian of balance
I am a Gray Jedi