Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
Author Topic: How to make a black lightsaber blade disscusion  (Read 152169 times)
jedi Kai-gon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 33

Knight of the Red Jedi Order

« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2014, 08:27:10 AM »

I personally am a big fan of the black core, but I also think an all black blade would be really cool.

Amuro
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

Jedi Sentinel

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2014, 10:45:16 PM »

What if you could make a carbonfiber blade, the light would seep out of the seams, almost like the darksaber Pre Vizsla uses

"But Snakes and Sparklers are the only ones I like"

Initiate V2-Fire Orange
Prophecy V3-Fire Orange

Ziran Le
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before but they make a spray "paint" which is a translucent black color, almost like tinting your windows on your car.  It's available at automotive shops and the big home improvement places.  This could be applied to the outside of a standard mid grade blade, using as many coats as you wanted to (would get darker and more dim with each coat, I would think) to get the desired look.  Use a high-powered white LED and you would at least achieve a grey color, I would think.  Probably wouldn't look so much like the darksaber from Clone Wars, but might be a fun experiment to try out, especially if you do cosplay and have a grey Jedi type character.

[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/b44df17a0009fcd0.png[/img]

UltraSabers : 7
Prophecy V3 (GB w/Obsidian), Liberator V3 (AS with yellow filter), Dominix V3 (GB), Standard Issue V3 (FO), Aeon LE V3 (VA - Wife's), Dominix LE V2 (BR - Son's, 5yo), Dark Init. LE V2 (CG - Daughter's, 8yo)

Want: Archon, Bellicose, Graflex, Chosen One, new V4s

cshigeok
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2014, 07:23:25 AM »

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before but they make a spray "paint" which is a translucent black color, almost like tinting your windows on your car.  It's available at automotive shops and the big home improvement places.  This could be applied to the outside of a standard mid grade blade, using as many coats as you wanted to (would get darker and more dim with each coat, I would think) to get the desired look.  Use a high-powered white LED and you would at least achieve a grey color, I would think.  Probably wouldn't look so much like the darksaber from Clone Wars, but might be a fun experiment to try out, especially if you do cosplay and have a grey Jedi type character.

this sounds like a good idea... I was thinking along the same lines... and maybe sanding or eching the blade with effects and then clear coating it...

I'm not saying that I'm a Jedi and I may sometimes seem misguided but I have not necessarily succumbed to the Dark Side.

Dark Prophecy V3 in Arctic blue
Reaper RGBW Emerald w/ Obsidian (slight mods)

Darth Shaw
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -5

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2014, 03:44:57 PM »

The only problem with using translucent paint on a blade is that the natural color under the blade will still come through.  Think of it like tinting car headlights and taillights.  They look cool but it ruins the visibly of the light.  Also another problem persist,  spraying the blade and keeping the color even would be hard being it's a round small diameter surface,  the paint would have a problem being even the whole way down the blade.  And the last problem is if you paint a bade inside or outside you cannot ever duel with it first few hits and then the paint is flaking off so it's not a good idea to use paint.  I know this because I paint cars from time to time and I tend to customize them also.  I just figured I would give some advise on this

Dominix LE v2 blazing red with holes drilled around blade end

FrozenShadowNinja
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

DARK SIDE POINTS, PLEASE.

« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2014, 01:26:30 AM »

I for one do not want this. Ceasar says no....
\

IS there a way to take away points?   Hahah, just kidding. You are, of course, entitled to that opinion. I, for one would love to see this,  but meh.

DARK JEDI

Dark Side Points, Please.

"From my Point of View, the Jedi are Evil!"  ...... Why, George...? Just... why...

SABERS: Dark Shock LE With Obsidian Soundboard (Alternate between Sith and Dominus Nox)
   Force FX Luke Skywalker ANH

[

dasweallycool
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 84

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2014, 04:56:40 PM »

As far as i was aware.. the Darksaber wasn't a lightsaber at all.. it was a vibroblade right?

#just sayin'..

Adz

I HAVE:
Aeon V3 - AS/Obsidian
Initiate V4 LE BR/ObsLITE
Standard Issue AS/Stunt
Force FX - Yoda
M/R - Anakin EP2
M/R - BYO
M/R - Luke EP4

Wish List:
Prophecy V3 AB/Stunt

GreyKnight
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2014, 02:24:05 AM »

Ok so let's assume you want to make a Pre Visla style "flat" blade gas opposed toa regular lightsaber blade with a black core)

Here's how I think you could do it

1.) Take a sheet of acrylic or clear polyurethane, and cut out a basic shape with a belt saw or table saw. Be sure to include a shank for fitting it into the hilt

2.) sand the ever loving bejeezus out of the edges, so that light coming out is nice and diffuse but not irregular

3.) lay down some aluminum tape on each of the flat sides, both to block light coming out that way, and reflect it back into the blade. Make sure there's no air bubbles or creases

4.) paint the sides with a flat black paint

5.) sand off the paint again along the edges, and maybe use an exacto knife to cut thru the aluminum tape to remove the black and get some nice sharp white crackles

6.) flat clear coat to seal

The end result should look pretty close to this

neekssss
Knight Lance Corporal

Hey there!

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2014, 05:33:14 PM »

Awesome, I need one of those!

Star Wars

Initiate v4 saberstaff consular green (no sound) yet........

Light side points please

Afro_Jedi
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2015, 12:20:00 AM »

Haha, put me down for one too! It is a cool idea honestly, but don't think it'd be possible to get it good enough to satisfy perfectionists.

"I don't need your eyes, only your mind. And everything you know about fighting the empire" -Starkiller

dasweallycool
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 84

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2015, 10:02:16 AM »

errr... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-pcs-Black-Acrylic-Rod-Solid-Perspex-Round-Bar-Diameter-6-8-10-20-to-50mm-B5KB-/171653445612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=470628627691&hash=item27f757b7ec

would be pretty heavy though is all..

I HAVE:
Aeon V3 - AS/Obsidian
Initiate V4 LE BR/ObsLITE
Standard Issue AS/Stunt
Force FX - Yoda
M/R - Anakin EP2
M/R - BYO
M/R - Luke EP4

Wish List:
Prophecy V3 AB/Stunt

Sarich Belmont
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 54

I am legend.

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2015, 08:22:30 PM »

That would not do what you think it would do. It would just block the light, not made a black blade saber.

"I don't aim to be like you, Master, not at all. I aim to be better." Jacen Sarich, then-Padawan. (From my old Star Wars D20 days.)

Under Construction...

maxjive
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2015, 08:46:03 PM »

Those black lightsabers look amazing; but until I can get my hands on one, I'll have to stick with my current model!

Copperhamster
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 14

Look sir, Droids!

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2015, 07:53:31 PM »

Couple of thoughts come to mind; get some uv activated translucent material to wrap around the outside of the blade (I have no idea where you'd get this) and use a UV LED
In terms of the various painting tricks:
Get a heavy grade non-ultraedge blade. Pop the tip off. Mask the edge and about 1/4-1/2 inch at the top. Place it in the hilt you want to use and mark how deep it sits, mask the edge and inside to a little below that spot.
Now here's where experimenting comes in. My first idea: paint the inside with glossy black, wait for it to dry, then paint it over in metallic silver on the inside.
Second idea: just use the metallic silver inside.

The heavy grade blade should carry more light in the blade itself. The reason for masking off the ends is to give more light gathering surface on the inside. Once the tip is replaced it will help put more light back into the blade. The silver interior is simple: Black absorbs light and re-radiates it as infra-red, which is why it's black. Silver or a very glossy white will function as a reflector, meaning some light will get back down into the areas where the transparent parts of the blade are exposed. It wouldn't look like one of those black-outlined in color sabers, but it would tend to be darker towards the core of what you were looking at I think.
Otoh it might just look like garbage.

Sabers:
E-Series Aggressor, CG
E-Series Aggressor, FO
E-Series Steel Standard Issue, AS (parts stripped)
Customized Initiate V2, AS (internals from SSI + regulator and Li-ion)
2 Dominix V2 RGB w/Coupler

Remember, the saber and jedi exist to serve the force, but only one can serve the force without the other.
(LS Please)

Groovidad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Darth Groove

« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2015, 12:16:12 AM »

True "Black" is void of light.  The best you can get is a black core with a chosen "glow" srrounding it.  What you see in movies is make-believe.  The reality is, if black were to "illuminate" it would not be "black". Dark blues, purples would be the closest to "black" but, the glow would be minimized as the darker the hue, the less illuminance it will create.  "Black Lights" are not truly "black".  That's why when it's dark and there is no ambiant light, it's dark. Further "black" is not a reflector of light, it is an absorber.   A "glowing black" blade is, in itself, an oxymoron.

Failure is NOT an option!
ARSENAL
Dark Initiate LE v3; BR w/VA FoC; OBS v4
Chosen One CE; BR w/AS FoC; AV red; OBS v4
Dominix LE v3; VA W/AB FoC, AV red, OBS v4
Dark Liberator v3; FO, OBS v3
Guardian CE; Emerald, Black AV yellow, OBS v4
Sentinel v4, Windows, SRD w/AB FoC, Silver AV blue, OBS v4
Graflex SE, Emerald, silver AV, Brass buttons, OBS v3
Prophecy, GB blade, OBS v3, Silver AV
Standard Issue BS, GB w/VA FoC, Silver AV Green, OBS v3
Crimson Reaper, Emerald, Silver AV Blue, OBS v3, recharge port