Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Adding FoC  (Read 2700 times)
BrainySmurf
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 1

« on: August 27, 2012, 10:44:55 AM »

Hey guys,

I have ordered a saber with MLS and a quick disconnect. Can I at a later date add FoC by simply purchasing a MLS with FoC and quick disconnect? Or would i have to add a cable to connect to the Obsidian? Or would I have to run completely new wires to the Obsidian? Or how would I get round this?

Thanks Smiley

First shipment: Grab Bag (colour requested) Aeon GB - Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 with Sound VA
Second shipment: Consular with Sound CG - Phantom V2 BR (a little sith in all of us) - 2x Grab bag Aeon

Light side points please Smiley

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 01:54:21 PM »

You will need to order a MLS with FoC , it will come with the connector you need to enable FoC. You will need to solder and heatshrink the one wire from the FoC connector to the FoC lead from the Obsidian. I added a wire diagram to the forum , it should help.
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=8667.0

dark side points please

BrainySmurf
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »

Awesome Cheesy Thanks Vex.

Doesn't look too hard (of course I've not opened it up yet). But wiring wise looks very easy Smiley

First shipment: Grab Bag (colour requested) Aeon GB - Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 with Sound VA
Second shipment: Consular with Sound CG - Phantom V2 BR (a little sith in all of us) - 2x Grab bag Aeon

Light side points please Smiley

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 02:25:47 AM »

Hey Brainy,

I have a video diary on my Overlord in the video section showing how the setups look different & how they operate when connected.  If you are curious, you could stop by and check it out.

Blue

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 04:49:29 AM »

Hi.  I have the same question, but I'm not sure I understand the answer above.  Please bear with me.

Let's say I buy a Shock in orange with sound but no flash on clash.

Later, I buy an extra MLS unit in silver WITH flash on clash.

Can I put this second MLS unit in the same hilt, even though the original did not have flash on clash?

Does the MLS just click in?  I have almost no experience with electronics.  It sounds like there's a part that would have to be soldered to add the flash on clash capability.  How difficult is that?  and once it's done, can the units still be switched out, or is it a permanent change?

(I am unable to watch all the videos mentioned above right now, so they may help.  I'm just not understanding the concept very well.)

Thanks for your help.

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 11:31:33 AM »

Hi.  I have the same question, but I'm not sure I understand the answer above.  Please bear with me.

Let's say I buy a Shock in orange with sound but no flash on clash.

Later, I buy an extra MLS unit in silver WITH flash on clash.

Can I put this second MLS unit in the same hilt, even though the original did not have flash on clash?

Does the MLS just click in?  I have almost no experience with electronics.  It sounds like there's a part that would have to be soldered to add the flash on clash capability.  How difficult is that?  and once it's done, can the units still be switched out, or is it a permanent change?

(I am unable to watch all the videos mentioned above right now, so they may help.  I'm just not understanding the concept very well.)

Thanks for your help.

You can add an MLS unit with FOC to a saber without it but it requires some soldering skills.  I always recommend getting the saber with FOC first so that if you wanted to add an MLS without it, it is easier.

Quick disconnects make the process much easier.  They are Red and Black connectors that simply plug into each other.

If you do not have quick disconnects, the change is permanent until you cut and resolder.

In the end, my recommendations are:

1.  Get your saber with FOC.
2.  Get your saber with Quick Disconnects.

This makes changing LED units much easier, faster, and you don't run the risk of burning your fingers.

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 05:25:51 AM »

Thank you!  That was very helpful.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: