Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: The Hunger Games  (Read 16670 times)
Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »

Same here, the story and main character don't really appeal to me......but to each their own.

well it was a teen book, so thats part of the reasoning

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »

well it was a teen book, so thats part of the reasoning

Its not that.I usually find teen books to be enjoyable, but the story and setting never really made me want to go out and read it or see the movie. When i saw the commercials i was like meh....  Undecided

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 07:07:55 PM »

I thought the same thing, Big Boss, until I relented and read the first book. It is surprisingly mature for a teen book. A lot of the negative reactions to it have to do with the idiotic comparisons to Twilight (the two literally have nothing in common except for a female lead).

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »

I thought the same thing, Big Boss, until I relented and read the first book. It is surprisingly mature for a teen book. A lot of the negative reactions to it have to do with the idiotic comparisons to Twilight (the two literally have nothing in common except for a female lead).

That was exactly my situation too.  I was pretty annoyed at first at the massive popularity of a movie based on a random book series I had never heard of.  Luckily my gf has pretty good taste in reading (even SHE admits that Twilight is crap), so I read it when she was finished.

Maybe it was just the uniqueness of it that I liked... the setting and how the protagonist fits into it.  I like seeing a female lead that isn't either completely helpless or totally over the top angsty.  Katniss is just badass... coldly logical and a survivialist, at least for the first chunk of the book.  The rest of it deals with her character development, as she actually finds herself opening up a little.

Actually for a teen book it was fairly dark.  Anybody else get creeped out over the part with the tracker jackers?  Maybe it's just because I don't like wasps...

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »

That was exactly my situation too.  I was pretty annoyed at first at the massive popularity of a movie based on a random book series I had never heard of.  Luckily my gf has pretty good taste in reading (even SHE admits that Twilight is crap), so I read it when she was finished.

Maybe it was just the uniqueness of it that I liked... the setting and how the protagonist fits into it.  I like seeing a female lead that isn't either completely helpless or totally over the top angsty.  Katniss is just badass... coldly logical and a survivialist, at least for the first chunk of the book.  The rest of it deals with her character development, as she actually finds herself opening up a little.

Actually for a teen book it was fairly dark.  Anybody else get creeped out over the part with the tracker jackers?  Maybe it's just because I don't like wasps...

Oh man, the tracker jackers... nasty little critters. I was so disappointed when they basically glossed over them in the movie...

I found a lot of people were complaining about Katniss later on in the series. Mainly over her whining so much. They fail to realize (and I find myself telling them this over and over again) that despite everything, Katniss is an emotionally traumatized teenaged girl with severe PTSD. Professional soldiers often can't cope with the horrors she dealt with.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 07:47:49 PM »

Any particular reason why?

They just don't appeal to me, that's all. I looked into the books a little, and the synopsis didn't send me running out to read the books, so...

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 07:47:56 PM »

I wonder about that because at the end of the third book, it seemed as if Katniss only stayed with Peeta because he was all she had left. The wording in the chapter definitely made it feel that way.

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -141

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 03:45:22 AM »

I had absolutely no interest in reading the books, until my wife saw the movie and bought the first book. I had a day off of work so I picked if up, the style was different so the first 30 or 40 pages were tough to get into then I just read all day until I put it down. A couple days later I bought the next two books and finished them both on my next off day. The story was basic but easy to wrap yourself around.

The movie was okay, a lot of what I like about the book carried over, I thought some of the political message was lost and everyone besides Kat was heavily diluted, but it was still enjoyable. I always assume the movie will be a let down after I read the book. I loved all the Harry Potter movies, but when judged against the books horrible disappointments. The themes and general story were good but everyone but Harry was a dilouted character.

It is not the side of the force we chose, but our actions that define us.
Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Thonolan
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 43

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 05:58:12 AM »

I find, more often than not, that movie adaptations of books are a let down in one way or another. There is always exceptions, but as a whole I will generally find the movie to be lacking.

The BEST example of this is Forrest Gump. In the book he does SO MUCH more, and it also explains HOW he does them. rather than just..."i like shrimp, I own boats"

back on topic: I enjoyed the experience of the movie from an non critical standpoint. As soon as you break down characters, it kind of falls apart. The second movie should be interesting, as we now NEED the character development in Peeta that we are so dreadfully missing.

But, take my opinion with a grain of salt. I liked Sucker Punch.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 06:21:26 AM »

But, take my opinion with a grain of salt. I liked Sucker Punch.

You've just earned a bucket of points.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 06:54:33 AM »

I thought Sucker Punch was amazing. The plot was very well executed and the moral of the movie was abstract, which I really liked. I know I'm in the minority though, haha.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 07:00:07 AM »

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Vadajah
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -9

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 07:13:11 AM »

I read the book and saw the movie and i honestly dreaded watching the movie :/ it was no where near as thrilling as the book was and could've easily been made better.  part of me couldnt help but think Tim Burton would've made a better job with the movie and most people would say "oh but then peeta would be johnny depp and katniss would be helena boehm carter" where i think that no doubt they'd of been in the movie but i think Burton wouldve kept katniss and peeta, made haymitch johny depp who wouldve done better, cast helena as effie and maybe made alan rickman as snow Tongue He wouldve also been better at designing the capital more to how it shouldve looked and probably wouldnt of changed major points in the story like the actual director did

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 07:17:32 AM »

I still think Gerard Butler would have done a better job as Haymitch...

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 09:40:46 AM »

Somehow, this little upstart production company did a far better job with this scene than Gary Ross did with an expensive budget and a large production crew.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_jw3z68TW0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_jw3z68TW0</a>

Oh, and here's another one they did, about the Second Quarter Quell.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUjssn86h4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUjssn86h4</a>

Excellent production values all the way around. Maybe Lionsgate should have hired these guys...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: