Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 153   Go Down
Author Topic: The Guns Thread  (Read 457118 times)
Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #1815 on: July 29, 2018, 11:56:15 PM »

its an ugly lil bugger, but its mine.

I am terrible at taking pictures, so I am going to try again tomorrow.

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #1816 on: July 30, 2018, 02:54:04 AM »

its an ugly lil bugger, but its mine.

I am terrible at taking pictures, so I am going to try again tomorrow.

if the serial number starts with a "G" then it's a third series, made after 1915, and can use modern "smokeless" .32 S&W "Shorts" ... which I believe are only manufactured by Remington at present.
If there is no "G", it's pre-1915 and only designed for black powder loads.

That may very well have been factory nickel plating, they were sort of known for doing that.
Looks like it may well be a 2nd Model "Safety Automatic Hammerless" which was made from 1897-1908.  The safety lever on the trigger face is a defining feature.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #1817 on: July 30, 2018, 03:05:59 AM »

That's fricken cool man! What are your plans with it?

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #1818 on: July 30, 2018, 04:02:19 AM »

That's fricken cool man! What are your plans with it?

I am not sure yet, The actually story of how and why I got it sum up everything that is wrong with me as a person.

I saw it in the "Second Hand and Consignment" case, all the way in the back next to the fire damaged H&R .22 and asked Gary what is was and how much he wanted, he said (and I quote), "its an old Iver Johnson .32, make me an offer.". Three days later its mine because I really am stupid enough to say "I'll give you $45 buck" referring to a firearm I know nothing about then put down the cash when the guy behind the counter shrugs and says sure.

I am thinking about getting it down to steel all the way around, polish it up, and make scales out of African blackwood or Walnut (since it doesn't have the original scales), and then it will probably become either my snake gun or sit in my safe doing nothing.

if the serial number starts with a "G" then it's a third series, made after 1915, and can use modern "smokeless" .32 S&W "Shorts" ... which I believe are only manufactured by Remington at present.
If there is no "G", it's pre-1915 and only designed for black powder loads.

That may very well have been factory nickel plating, they were sort of known for doing that.
Looks like it may well be a 2nd Model "Safety Automatic Hammerless" which was made from 1897-1908.  The safety lever on the trigger face is a defining feature.

Welp, definitely no G. So I will have to handload, which means finding dies.

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #1819 on: July 30, 2018, 04:11:16 AM »

I think it's awesome that it's a black powder model. If I were you, and I ain't, but if I was, I'd use real black powder to make ammo for it. The smell, the smoke, the flash, it's just awesome! And in cartridge form, it's just as convenient as modern ammo. Great, now you got me wanting one!

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #1820 on: July 30, 2018, 04:17:40 AM »

I happen to have a can of black powder.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #1821 on: July 30, 2018, 07:52:06 AM »

That is freaking cool! But if it is not stainless steel then you will need to do more then polish it, you could blue it or have it nickeled again to keep it from rusting again.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #1822 on: July 30, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »

That is freaking cool! But if it is not stainless steel then you will need to do more then polish it, you could blue it or have it nickeled again to keep it from rusting again.

Sorcha wants me to electroplate it gold. . . because I have the technology. But I have never been a fan of that look, so I will see if I can get a satin nickel finish somehow.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #1823 on: July 30, 2018, 04:03:15 PM »

Sorcha wants me to electroplate it gold. . . because I have the technology. But I have never been a fan of that look, so I will see if I can get a satin nickel finish somehow.
Haha bling it out LOL.

KyewReaver
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #1824 on: August 27, 2018, 02:29:29 AM »

You actually can polish it. It just requires a little more maintenance: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/post-finish-surface-protection/water-displacing-oil-after-bluing-rust-prevention-prod1086.aspx

That's the stuff you need. If you keep it in out of moisture (i.e. in the safe, etc.) you shouldn't need to coat it but every month or so just to make sure no rust pops up. But mirror-polished steel can be a very nice finish, and it's resistant to rust by virtue of being smooth so water molecules have less texture to get trapped in.

But if you're interested in bluing it, you can do it yourself. Old IJs take cold bluing very well and evenly. New ones, not so much. But if you want to try, get this: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/liquid-cold-bluing-chemicals/oxpho-blue--prod1072.aspx

It's a bit of a learning curve, but you really can't mess anything up that can't be fixed. The worst you'll do is waste the bluing solution, but it's not that expensive. Shoot me a PM if you want some pointers. I'd be glad to help.

The Force is a tool with no will but that of its master, the same as a lightsaber. Good or evil comes from the entity using the tool, not the tool itself.

- Kyew Reaver

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Triple Ace

« Reply #1825 on: August 27, 2018, 04:05:13 AM »

I actually have some experience, and a bottle of nickel plating solution.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #1826 on: August 30, 2018, 07:27:15 PM »

I know this belongs in venting, but figured I'd put it here.

My brother is an irresponsible child. He went shooting in March, in the rain and never cleaned the guns. He complained that we needed some Hoppe's and a new cleaning kit (last one went MIA) so I bought a new kit, a bottle of Hoppe's and new bore snakes for each gun that he took. The guns weren't cleaned and were just put back in the safe after a half-arsed wipe down. One slug gun now has rust (luckily it's his) and the rest have crud in the barrels (a relief, no rust). Those are not his guns, a few of those will never be his guns (.44 and 30-06 are going to me) Dad and I are both appalled that our firearms were treated so shamefully and to top it off, he never returned the bore snakes for our shotguns, the oil rags and REM oil so I can't clean them until I make a trip to the store.  Angry Angry Angry

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #1827 on: August 30, 2018, 09:10:52 PM »

My brother is an irresponsible child. He went shooting in March, in the rain and never cleaned the guns. He complained that we needed some Hoppe's and a new cleaning kit (last one went MIA) so I bought a new kit, a bottle of Hoppe's and new bore snakes for each gun that he took. The guns weren't cleaned and were just put back in the safe after a half-arsed wipe down. One slug gun now has rust (luckily it's his) and the rest have crud in the barrels (a relief, no rust). Those are not his guns, a few of those will never be his guns (.44 and 30-06 are going to me) Dad and I are both appalled that our firearms were treated so shamefully and to top it off, he never returned the bore snakes for our shotguns, the oil rags and REM oil so I can't clean them until I make a trip to the store.  Angry Angry Angry

that's when he don't get to touch them again. don't use it if can't take care of it.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #1828 on: August 30, 2018, 09:20:06 PM »

Sounds like he is now banned from the gun safe.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #1829 on: August 30, 2018, 09:30:37 PM »

Upon further review, he never cleaned Dad's slug gun after last hunting season (his friend borrowed it) and it did have rust. Banned from the gun safe is absolutely correct  Angry

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 153   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: