Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 153   Go Down
Author Topic: The Guns Thread  (Read 453059 times)
JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #1830 on: August 31, 2018, 02:21:18 AM »

Upon further review, he never cleaned Dad's slug gun after last hunting season (his friend borrowed it) and it did have rust. Banned from the gun safe is absolutely correct  Angry

If you can't treat the tools properly, you know longer get to use them, for anything.

When I was helping my son's Scout Troop do their rifle/shotgun merit badges, the campout was generally 3 days.  We'd go to the range Friday evening and set up camp, once camp was set up we would assemble all the scouts and the firearms (properly cleared and safety checked by Adult Leaders, all the ammo remained locked in a vehicle) in a pavillion.  The Scouts were then instructed on safe handling procedures, clearing procedures, and cleaning procedures.  Once we were sure they had a very good understanding of the fundamentals we secured all the firearms for the night and sent the scouts to bed.  Saturday they were allowed to shoot .22LR and a few assorted shotguns under very close supervision (usually we had at least 1 adult per scout, very popular campout, very well attended each year.) Saturday night, everything was again separated and secured.  Sunday, we made breakfast, packed up camp, and the scouts all had to clean and lubricate the firearms they were shooting.

I've had several dads after the fact approach me and mention that their sons have got on their case because they would come back from the range or hunting and just put the guns away without cleaning them... evidently I made an impact with a few boys.

It's a shame no one ever seems to have made that impact on your brother...

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

Xamon
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #1831 on: August 31, 2018, 01:16:05 PM »

Kind of reminds me of getting my lee enfield. Couldn't really see the bore it was so dirty, I spent about an hour cleaning it the first time, no rust though, and it still wasn't really clean but I at least felt I could put a round down it without damage. After putting some rounds through it came clean.

Was reading the regs for stuff here in Canada and there is some stupidity here, replica fire arms are prohibited devices. This means that I can buy a real c96 handgun, a restricted firearm, but I cannot buy a replica one to make a han solo blaster out of. I could understand having them classed under firearms but seriously having them prohibited is silly.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #1832 on: August 31, 2018, 01:58:48 PM »

JEStucker, he was taught, he's just a lazy irresponsible millennial.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #1833 on: August 31, 2018, 02:45:21 PM »

During my hunters education course as a kid we had to demonstrate we knew how to properly handle a firearm (Trigger discipline, form  etc.)  Amazingly to me...I was the only one in a group of 10 who passed.  My dad was baffled and angry that so many were about to put their children out in a stand with a weapon they had no idea how to handle. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #1834 on: September 01, 2018, 12:11:30 AM »

that don't happen in my family. my daughter learned, my niece and nephew.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #1835 on: September 01, 2018, 02:33:40 AM »

A buddy of mine has his grandfathers 12 gauge top break, single shot, bird gun. It was purchased for his grandfathers tenth birthday in 1931, his grandfather used it at least once a year until his passing in 1987, at which point my friends dad inherited it and it became the queen of the mantlepiece. Fast forward to 2004, My buddy is going on a little hunt with his girlfriends brother in about a week and decides that he ought to take the ancestral gun, his dad says fine, it isn't that good a gun but good luck.

It had been sitting unused for nearly twenty years, it took him a week to get it polished up nicely, the bore cleaned, and all the moving parts moving and oiled. He was devastated the first time he removed her from her lofty throne and saw the result of years of neglect, but with a lot of work he managed to save her.

Oh, and he was the only one to get a turkey on that expedition.

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

KyewReaver
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #1836 on: September 16, 2018, 03:31:36 PM »

Speaking of failure to clean, I know 1911 guys who refuse to clean their bores. They claim it "seals" the bore better to have carbon in the grooves. Being a gunsmith, I'm appalled at that logic. While technically it IS true, the damage done to the edges of the lands is no trade off in my opinion.

Kind of reminds me of getting my lee enfield. Couldn't really see the bore it was so dirty, I spent about an hour cleaning it the first time, no rust though, and it still wasn't really clean but I at least felt I could put a round down it without damage. After putting some rounds through it came clean.

That's actually the best way to clean those old military shooters. I had to do the same thing with my first MN 91/30. Cleaned it for literally hours, and the bore never got better than a charcoal color. Finally decided I was just going to shoot the crap out of it and not worry about it. I mean, it's a $100 gun, right? Turns out shooting about 30 rounds through it in quick succession did the trick.

The Force is a tool with no will but that of its master, the same as a lightsaber. Good or evil comes from the entity using the tool, not the tool itself.

- Kyew Reaver

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #1837 on: September 17, 2018, 08:46:38 AM »

Speaking of failure to clean, I know 1911 guys who refuse to clean their bores. They claim it "seals" the bore better to have carbon in the grooves. Being a gunsmith, I'm appalled at that logic. While technically it IS true, the damage done to the edges of the lands is no trade off in my opinion.

Wow, I know quite a few 1911 guys and have never heard that before. You would think somebody with a 1911 would know guns a little better then that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

KyewReaver
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #1838 on: September 18, 2018, 01:21:13 AM »

Wow, I know quite a few 1911 guys and have never heard that before. You would think somebody with a 1911 would know guns a little better then that.

I've literally had customers tell me not to clean their bore before. I was just like, whatever. It's your gun. And, yes. You'd think they'd know better. But I've found that 1911s attract the smartest and the dumbest of gun lovers. the 1911 has to be the single most iconic pistol in the past century. I'd say the Desert Eagle is the second most iconic. I imagine there are some off the wall DE owners too. lol

The Force is a tool with no will but that of its master, the same as a lightsaber. Good or evil comes from the entity using the tool, not the tool itself.

- Kyew Reaver

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #1839 on: September 18, 2018, 01:36:43 AM »

1911's, Beretta 92's, and 50AE Desert Eagles - Hollywood's favorite guns.

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #1840 on: September 18, 2018, 02:00:21 AM »

Turns out shooting about 30 rounds through it in quick succession did the trick.

Quick succession and a Mosin Nagant 91/30 are not compatible terms...  I've had my hands on a few that the bolts operated like butter, and others that required a large hammer and a chunk of 2x4 to make function... none of them ever made me want to cycle through more than 5-10 rounds in one sitting.  Those things are shoulder killers...

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

Zyn
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 63

What do I see? Light... Darkness.... Balance

« Reply #1841 on: September 18, 2018, 01:19:33 PM »

Quick succession and a Mosin Nagant 91/30 are not compatible terms...  I've had my hands on a few that the bolts operated like butter, and others that required a large hammer and a chunk of 2x4 to make function... none of them ever made me want to cycle through more than 5-10 rounds in one sitting.  Those things are shoulder killers...

F***ing cosmoline!

"The protectors of the Balance must stand on the edge of two worlds, accepted by neither, masters of both."

Butcher (Diamond) | Emperor's Hand* (BR) | Lost Gray* (SD) | Sentinel v4* (BR) | Reaper (AB) | D. Initiate (AS) | D. Apprentice LE v4 (SY) | Aeon v4 (CG) (WILLING TO TRADE) | Dark Sentinel/Aeon Staff (FO) | D. Prophecy Build Project (Pending)

KyewReaver
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #1842 on: September 18, 2018, 11:19:59 PM »

Well, relatively quick. Heating up the barrel is a good way to work all that WW1 and 2 corrosive primer residue out of the rifling.

And agreed. The recoil on those things is memorable. I sporterized mine and put a Good Limbsaver pad on it. Made shooting it a pleasure.

https://scontent.fcae1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1393539_10203017712676144_2645430016747604754_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=19ed5cd12b902fabd48f536958e229ef&oe=5C3029DB

- Kyew Reaver

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #1843 on: September 21, 2018, 08:01:23 AM »

1911's, Beretta 92's, and 50AE Desert Eagles - Hollywood's favorite guns.
Nothing worse then a Glock being cocked (sound) in a movie. Come on it isn't that hard.

bigBear
Council Elder of Shenanigans
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1538

a true warrior fights to protect

« Reply #1844 on: September 21, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »

one of these days I need to get my great grandfather's breach load 12 looked at. see if it's safe and if it works.
best research I could find shows the company merged under a new name in 1917 and that company later on merged with Remington years later.

who's scruffy looking?
own: Dominix V4 GB, Sentinel V4 sunrider's, Aprentice LE V4 VA X2 (staff). Liberator SY, dark SI AB, dark initiate LE CG, dark initiate BR, dark apprentice LE AS and FO stunts. dark Sentinel LE in FO OB lite sound Malice w/ V4 sound, Emerald. Crimson curved Reaper AS OB lite. Diamond Raven, Chosen One V4 sound, emerald, Consular CG, V4 sound.

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 153   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: