Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 153   Go Down
Author Topic: The Guns Thread  (Read 457163 times)
Zyn
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 63

What do I see? Light... Darkness.... Balance

« Reply #1845 on: September 21, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »

one of these days I need to get my great grandfather's breach load 12 looked at. see if it's safe and if it works.

short of any major rust or cracks in the barrel or chamber, you should be good to go (after a good cleaning and oiling, of course). Especially if it was your great grandfather's. Modern arms are great, but those old ones could survive pretty much anything you throw at them.

"The protectors of the Balance must stand on the edge of two worlds, accepted by neither, masters of both."

Butcher (Diamond) | Emperor's Hand* (BR) | Lost Gray* (SD) | Sentinel v4* (BR) | Reaper (AB) | D. Initiate (AS) | D. Apprentice LE v4 (SY) | Aeon v4 (CG) (WILLING TO TRADE) | Dark Sentinel/Aeon Staff (FO) | D. Prophecy Build Project (Pending)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1846 on: September 21, 2018, 07:20:17 PM »

Nothing worse then a Glock being cocked (sound) in a movie. Come on it isn't that hard.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm so glad I'm not the only one annoyed by this. Also when they cock it multiple times before finally firing it once.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #1847 on: September 21, 2018, 08:34:46 PM »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one annoyed by this. Also when they cock it multiple times before finally firing it once.

There was an episode of Agents of Shield where Ward took a shotgun from someone and off camera you can hear the sound of a pump being worked....it was a break open double barrel

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1848 on: September 21, 2018, 08:43:32 PM »

There was an episode of Agents of Shield where Ward took a shotgun from someone and off camera you can hear the sound of a pump being worked....it was a break open double barrel

Wow, that is sad. I don't remember that happening, but it really doesn't surprise me.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #1849 on: September 21, 2018, 10:16:14 PM »

Yeah, Hollywoo seems to think all guns make some kind of clicking sound when you point them. And that pump action shotguns need to be racked, like, all the time. Everytime the hero says something stern, gotta rack that shotgun! Even if you haven't shot it since the last time you racked it! And somehow, live shells don't get ejected every time they rack it. And they seem to think that a professional hitman is going to carry a pistol without one in the chamber!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #1850 on: September 21, 2018, 10:26:34 PM »

Same with Swords...the "sching" as they're drawn from a Wooden scabbard, the metallic "chink" sound when gripping a katana.  But, they are made to make the average movie goer go "ooohhh" while those of us with knowledge slap our foreheads.  Speaking of movies, I don't know if this has been posted but there is a wiki site of guns used in films and info on either the real guns or how they were made for the films.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1851 on: September 21, 2018, 10:34:32 PM »

Yeah, Hollywoo seems to think all guns make some kind of clicking sound when you point them. And that pump action shotguns need to be racked, like, all the time. Everytime the hero says something stern, gotta rack that shotgun! Even if you haven't shot it since the last time you racked it! And somehow, live shells don't get ejected every time they rack it. And they seem to think that a professional hitman is going to carry a pistol without one in the chamber!

Same with Swords...the "sching" as they're drawn from a Wooden scabbard, the metallic "chink" sound when gripping a katana.  But, they are made to make the average movie goer go "ooohhh" while those of us with knowledge slap our foreheads.  Speaking of movies, I don't know if this has been posted but there is a wiki site of guns used in films and info on either the real guns or how they were made for the films.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

Haha, so true.
I'm surprised more people don't do their research before making the noises for a weapon. They are just like "oh, this sounds like every other movie I've ever heard, lets do that". If I ever actually get into acting, I will try my hardest not to let them do that kind of thing in my movies.
Also, great resource there Tepes. I never remember about it, but it is definitely useful.

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #1852 on: September 22, 2018, 12:21:58 AM »

Boondock Saints, for all it's awesomeness, was one of the worst offenders...
either racking the slide or cocking the hammers back on the Barretta 92FS, when they had already been shooting them...

eh, it's Hollyweird... I don't even try and understand it...

cars are bulletproof, sheet rock stops everything, bullets make cars explode, bullet impacts send you flying backwards and through objects, you just shrug off bullet wounds and keep on going, and ammo is often limitless (unless it's important to the script for the hero to click empty once)

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #1853 on: September 22, 2018, 12:25:51 AM »

bullet impacts send you flying backwards and through objects

OMG, that one bugs the hell out me!!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1854 on: September 22, 2018, 01:03:32 AM »

cars are bulletproof, sheet rock stops everything, bullets make cars explode, bullet impacts send you flying backwards and through objects, you just shrug off bullet wounds and keep on going, and ammo is often limitless (unless it's important to the script for the hero to click empty once)

I think the limitless ammo annoys me almost as much as the unnecessary racking/cocking/etc.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #1855 on: September 22, 2018, 01:44:58 AM »

I loved that scene in Last Action hero when Arnold comes to the real world and tried to blow up the car by shooting it. 

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #1856 on: September 22, 2018, 02:42:10 AM »

I know I'm late, but the primary function of the 91/30 Nagant rifle is as a spear, its secondary is as a club, being a firearm is only its tertiary function (followed closely by canoe paddle).

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

KyewReaver
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #1857 on: September 22, 2018, 03:01:10 AM »

I know I'm late, but the primary function of the 91/30 Nagant rifle is as a spear, its secondary is as a club, being a firearm is only its tertiary function (followed closely by canoe paddle).

I would hesitate to thumb my nose at the Mosin Nagant rifle or the 7.62x54r round. The round is ballistically comparable to the venerable .30-06, and I've seen someone load an empty casing literally to the top with Unique powder and fire it from the Nagant. All it did was force the locking lugs into the chamber walls so he couldn't open the bolt. That's one tough rifle.

The .30-06 is slightly more powerful and (personally) preferable. But when you can make 1k yard shots easily with either one, they would both be considerable. Also a rimmed cartridge has a few more options than an rimless one. Revolver variations (if you really want to get weird), break breeches, etc. You can't do that with rimless cartridges.

The Force is a tool with no will but that of its master, the same as a lightsaber. Good or evil comes from the entity using the tool, not the tool itself.

- Kyew Reaver

KyewReaver
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #1858 on: September 22, 2018, 03:04:17 AM »

one of these days I need to get my great grandfather's breach load 12 looked at. see if it's safe and if it works.
best research I could find shows the company merged under a new name in 1917 and that company later on merged with Remington years later.

It being that old, I think I would stick to firing low brass or black powder loads through it. Not many firearms were made for smokeless at that time, and the pressure specs are quite a bit lower for black powder. If you don't want to shoot modern/low brass ammo through it, there are several companies who make black powder loads.

The Force is a tool with no will but that of its master, the same as a lightsaber. Good or evil comes from the entity using the tool, not the tool itself.

- Kyew Reaver

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #1859 on: September 22, 2018, 06:45:05 AM »

I would hesitate to thumb my nose at the Mosin Nagant rifle or the 7.62x54r round. The round is ballistically comparable to the venerable .30-06, and I've seen someone load an empty casing literally to the top with Unique powder and fire it from the Nagant. All it did was force the locking lugs into the chamber walls so he couldn't open the bolt. That's one tough rifle.

The .30-06 is slightly more powerful and (personally) preferable. But when you can make 1k yard shots easily with either one, they would both be considerable. Also a rimmed cartridge has a few more options than an rimless one. Revolver variations (if you really want to get weird), break breeches, etc. You can't do that with rimless cartridges.

there is a reason I have a bunch of them, I've got a clapped out Tula (it didn't have much rifling when I got it), a Tula Cavalry Rifle (about five inches or so shorter than the standard) that I bought to sporterize because I thought that it was already cut down post war and decided not to, an tula M44 that is terrifying and I've only put one round through it while sitting behind a sandbag wall, a Finnish M39 that is pretty accurate but very heavy, and a Chinese 91/30 copy that still had packing grease on it when I got it.

I love them, but most of the mosin rifles I have handled have been about as precise off of a rest as spitting at a target/

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 153   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: