Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Standard Shock Arctic Blue - Grab bag Review  (Read 10092 times)
Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« on: September 05, 2012, 08:59:17 PM »

Okay, review time!  (Borrowing from manroon's recent format)

Backround:
Well, those of us in RCJ decided to do a couple group orders to get some tickets in for the raffle. In the order we had three grab bags. This was one of the beauties we recieved

Blade:
On each of our grab bags, we ordered ultraedge midgrade blades. Ive got a few ultraedge heavies, and a couple regular midgrades already, and then one ultraedge midgrade with a pointed tip just for show and demonstrations. But this was my first ultraedge midgrade.
The colour is nice and even, and very bright. The arctic blue looks fantastic in it, and at night in low light the blade is nice and full.

Here it is between our other two grab bags from the order.

Led:
Now, the led is a little bizzare. Obviously being arctic blue its an rgb led, but thats not the oddity of it. Its how its  mounted that throws me off. Ive got many more recent ultrasabers and the led setup was nothing like this. The led setup alone, combined with some other bits, and conversations with master nero and master artorius leads me to believe that this sucker has been sitting in the bin for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time, like anakin hadnt tried to kill obi wan yet long time lol.
That little thingy on the end of the heatsink, thats the clash sensor. (yeah, i figured that might get your attention)

Emitter:
The emitter externally looks great, there are a few minor blemishes and dents that are all going to get polished out anyways, so im not worried. Unfortunately, inside the emitter is another story.

Yep, in that photo, what you are seeing is the focusing lens, hot glued to the inside of the emitter. Unlike the newer mls units used in MHS hilts, the older ones didnt have the lense contained in the mls unit, resulting in the lenses having to be secured somehow. Unfortunately, this is how it was done. So without removing the lens and the hot glue first, I cant really use this emitter on another mhs saber.

Body:
The body is very comfortable. There is a ring around it, baout 3/4 of an inch below the emitter that just perfectly sits the hand at a great balance point. After two hours of using the shock last night, i have to say its actually probably THE most off the shelf comfortable saber that I have had the pleasure of using. It really feels like an extension of your arm, and I couldnt be happier with the way it handles.

There are so few scratches or blemishes on the body, and it is ridiculously shiny.

Pommel:
Unlike manroon, I got a normal shock pommel, no grooves machined out of it, but thats fine by me. Its a nice large chamber and lets the sound echo a nice little bit.  Its not as polished as the rest of the saber, but im betting buffing it up a little bit, and adding some polish can easily fix that.

Misc:
Umm, yeah so for miscillaneous stuff.....IT CAME WITH SOUND!!!!

Its running a 4x AAA setup with a speaker attached

And earlier I pointed out the clash sensor, but deep inside you can see the master replicas board all wrapped up in electrical tape (because hasbro/mr cant bloody well make a nice streamlined board like everyone else it seems)

Being an MR board, it has no flash on clash, and activates with just a latching switch, really not a big deal at all, when you consider that it came with SOUND!!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFD3GD_1D0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFD3GD_1D0</a>

Conclusion:

Blade 10/10 (Ultrasabers has the best blades, period)

Led 5/10   (only because its an older style led setup that hasnt been used in a long long long time. the led itself and the wiring are fine, its just not as clean as the newer mls units)

Emitter 7/10  (im not a huge huge fan of the shock emitter but it is growing on me, the led lense glued inside still kinda sucks though)

Body 10/10 (very very very comfortabl, and incredibly shiny)

Pommel 7/10 (basic pommel, no decoration, its comfortable and it does its job, its not designed to be a wow factor)

Misc 10/10  (HOLY SITH IT CAME WITH SOUND!)

Ranking as a grab bag 10/10 holy sith a shock with sound!!!!

Overall ranking, in comparison to current ultrasabers (ie a shock with obsidian if ordered today) 6/10

****Let me be absolutely clear, the ONLY reason this looks the way it does inside is because this has been sitting on a shelf since the ultrasabers bronze age, they definately do not ever use this setup anymore***If you ordered a standard shock today, with sound it would not look like this inside, and would have one of the modern MLS units inside.

Im planning on using this as a base for future modifications, so it will not be staying in this format for long. The emitter, and pommel, are likely going to be replaced, with a malice round pommel, and an overlord emitter, the grooves will be painted black as well on the hilt itself, but i plan to maintain the overall silver colouring of the saber.

The led, is for now, going to get replaced with an AS LED that i have lying around, as I love adegan silver, manroon and i both have a huge fandom for Corran Horn, and the Halcyon line of correllian jedi in general, so this is going to be my nod to that family line.

The soundboard, will stay in there for now, but will probably be getting replaced down the line, perhaps with an ignighter, or a neutrino. I dont want to put obsidian in, unless im sure ill be able to properly wire up flash on clash, perhaps in adegan silver, with an arctic blue flash as a nod to the original colouring of the saber when I ordered it.

Thanks for reading guys, and may the force be with you.

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:06:34 PM »

That's exactly how the LED in my Shock came set up, MJ's on the other hand has it set up the other way; IDK why, they were bought around the same time.

Great review, point.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sandtracker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »

Nice review and grab bag!

Faa-Yal Dragu
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Jedi knight, wandcrafter, heathen

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 09:07:35 PM »

IT CAME WITH SOUND?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

im getting a grab bag saber. i dont care if i have no money.

it came with sound???

The jedi only use their powers to defend and protect,
although (waves hand) You will give me lightside points.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »

That's exactly how the LED in my Shock came set up, MJ's on the other hand has it set up the other way; IDK why, they were bought around the same time.

Great review, point.

how do you find the longterm durability of that setup? im really tempted to pop in an mls unit instead, i duel a lot and worry about how thats going to hold up

"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 09:09:11 PM »

how do you find the longterm durability of that setup? im really tempted to pop in an mls unit instead, i duel a lot and worry about how thats going to hold up

It's help up fine for me since I got it last year.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »

well im using my sabers about 4 hours a week, with some fairly heavy dueling or velocities, hopefully it holds up, lol

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 11:22:43 PM »

it came with sound???

Yup, MR sound... obviously an era from an earlier age!  Still, I really wouldn't expect sound... this is a lucky accident, and not something that will happen often.  I only know one other guy who got sound in a grab bag and that case was a total accident.

Good score, Veld!

Thonolan
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 43

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 11:37:26 PM »

Every one I see people get makes me more excited and impatient for mine....

I feel the dark side growing within me...... or am I just hungry? I don't know, either way I can't wait!

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 01:43:44 AM »

Nice Grab Bag! Cheesy Now I really want to go for one. Tongue Would be sweet if I got a V1 Bane. But if I get a Shock that'll be fine too.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 153

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »

it came with sound???

I had the same thinking a while ago, but then I got jipped with a v2 Aeon.

CZ3RO
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -178

"There were lessons the Jedi couldn't teach me."

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »

Score!  Sound-enabled ftw.  Smiley

.ZERO.

"The Jedi and their 'Order' betrayed the Chancellor and the Republic - hunting them down isn't about revenge; this is justice."
- Fane Cinden, Imperial Inquisitioner

Jedi1233
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 09:00:06 PM »

I planed on getting two grab bags within the next couple days. Will be my first ultrasabers! Seeing you got sound with it makes me like 10 times more wanting to buys sometime soon!!!!

Sabers- Stanard Issue v3 Consular Green, Aeon LE v3 Consular Green.

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »

well only one other grab bag ever went out with sound, so dont expect it to happen, i apparantly have a hoseshoe somewhere unpleasant

also as an update, i did some rewiring last night, its no longer arctic blue

but adegan silver instead

Luke & Corran (I,J)

Jare Tal’onidir
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 27

I am a Jedi..but the Dark Side has the best toys!

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 01:04:01 AM »

Funny...I rewired my grab bag Shock AS too...I also have the odd focusing lens in the emitter. I take it that isn't normal for a Shock? I'd been thinking about getting a Dark Shock emitter and pommel for my Overlord and liked the look of the standard ones when I tried them on, but the lens did odd things to the color. I'd kind of dropped that plan but if the newer versions are different, I might need to re-add those to my wish list!

My Sabers:
FO Aeon v2: DVA Prophecy v3; SY Consular; VA Nickle Monarch; AS Shock; BR Malishock, AB Graflex, PO Manticore FOC with Obsidian; CG Liberator AS FOC with Obsidian; and a GB Nickle Prophecy v3 with Obsidian

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: