Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Collectors Edition Prophecy (Blazing Red)  (Read 3603 times)
Obi Daktari
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« on: March 15, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »

I have been very happy with UltraSabers, their service has been top shelf. This is my second saber. I had been looking at the Collectors Edition Prophecy for some time and finally bought one. I chose Blazing Red, I figured that the combination of the nickel plating with red would look the best. I don't regret that decision one bit. The blade I chose was the UltraEdge Mid Grade blade at 36 inches (which is the standard length). I just got the blade last night, so I have yet to really road test it. But I will duel with my friend tonight and post an update on the overall quality of the saber in a true duel. I am a little worried about the mid grade blade, but more of that later.

The Hilt is beautiful. Period. The nickel plating really shines and sets it apart. It looks like a real lightsaber that you would see in Star Wars. The hilt itself is not as heavy as the Aeon, and is around one inch shorter. The length is perfect for one handed wielding, and still plenty long enough for two handed use. The choke point between the activation button and the emitter makes for a perfect place to grip. The only thing I can say negatively about the grip is that it is a little slippery, but I'll let you know if that makes a difference during duels after I've tested it out. I did not find the sharpness initially mentioned by KreepnSlayer in his review to be much of an issue for me, and if I recall, he also said that it was no longer an issue for him. However, I immediately removed the covertec belt clip, because it was in the way. I could have managed with it on, but for me the clip was not necessary so I took it off. I love the design of this hilt, it is just beautiful and I can't wait to see how she handles in a duel!

The Blade that I chose for this saber was the Ultra Edge Mid Grade blade, because I knew that the hilt was slightly lighter and smaller than the Aeon, and I wanted a saber that was going to handle quicker. Compared to the stock blade on my buddies force FX, the Mid Grade is very sturdy. There is a significant difference between the HeavyGrade and the MidGrade blade. I feel that the MidGrade would probably break after a few intense duels against a HeavyGrade. So be sure to not slam these things as hard as you can while your dueling with this blade. More about durability and functionality when I have had some duel time and post part 2.

The Brightness/Color that I chose was Blazing Red. The red is awesome, it looks really ominous and sinister, especially in the dark. I know people say that blue and green are brighter, but honestly the red seems just as bright - it's definitely brighter than the green.

I am very happy with this saber so far, and it is definitely my favorite hilt style currently offered by UltraSabers. I love the black anodized model as well, but I am glad I chose this one. I can't say enough about the beauty of the nickel plated hilt along side the Blazing Red. The true test will be the durability of the blade in a duel. I will post an update to this review once I have put it to the true test!

Here are some pictures of the beautiful CE Prophecy (Blazing Red)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:57:39 PM by Obi Daktari » Logged

KreepnSlayer
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:48:32 PM »

Nice review.
And yes you are correct, the groves no lover bother my hand. I think it just took some getting used to for me.

I agree that blazing red really goes well with this hilt. It's what I typically have mine set to.

Before you go dual with it, make sure everything is tight. Dualing tends to rattle thugs loose. In fact, I plan on loc-tighting my brass decorations up near the emitter. They keep coming loose.

War Glaive - RGB - Sith Sound board.
Special Edition Prophecy - RGB
Dark Liberator - Arctic Blue
Dominix V2 LE - Sunriders Destiny
Aeon - Violet Amethyst
Dark Initiate V2 LE - Blazing Orange
Force FX - Darth Vader

ShadowKatt
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:53:03 PM »

He's holding a red lightsaber and wearing a tie.

I always knew corperations were run by sith.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:19:22 PM »

Somehow, he just reminds me of the kid's nightmare in Fanboys. Red saber. Shirt and Tie. Lack of a face in the photos... XD Good review though.

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Obi Daktari
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 05:37:10 AM »

So after dueling for a few hours with the new Prophecy, I have some comments that may be helpful to you. This by all means is the most beautiful hilt in my opinion, however for dueling it is simply average as far as practicality. The pommel comes loose about every three minutes and requires a moment to stop dueling so that you can tighten it. Also the brass decorations do come loose as well, but not as often as the pommel. After some more dueling at night, the red LED is not nearly as bright as the green or the blue.

As far as the Mid Grade blade is concerned, the blade cracked nearly 20 minutes after dueling. If you are planning on dueling, I would highly recommend the Heavy Grade.

Other than those issues the prophecy is absolutely amazing. I am going to see about getting another blade it, probably a 32 inch Heavy Grade (not ultra edge, just to see the difference). Kreepn, let me know how you plan to tighten up the hilt for dueling, I definitely will need to do some work on it so that it doesn't come loose anymore!

KreepnSlayer
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 02:14:29 PM »

Hi Obi,
I plan on using Loctite on the brass nuts near the emitter, but I'm not sure about the pommel. Sometimes I can really reef on it and get it to stay tight, at least until I have to swap out the batteries.

I have a couple of options I might try. I was thinking some low strength Loctite for the threads in the pommel, but was still worried about how easily I'd be able to get it loose again when I need to. Right now I'm leaning towards some plumbers tape on the threads. It won't lock the pommel down tight, but maybe it'll put just enough friction in the threads to keep it from spinning itself loose while dialing.

Funny thing, my War Glaive doesnt have this problem at all. It's very easy to tighten and it stays that way. (I just need the LED in it to not flash when dualing with it)

War Glaive - RGB - Sith Sound board.
Special Edition Prophecy - RGB
Dark Liberator - Arctic Blue
Dominix V2 LE - Sunriders Destiny
Aeon - Violet Amethyst
Dark Initiate V2 LE - Blazing Orange
Force FX - Darth Vader

Obi Daktari
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »

After having some expence with a few different sabers, the Aeon is still my number 1 choice for dueling.

How is the war glave? Im really trying to stay practical, more than looking cool. For me, I need a blade that's going to be sturdy and reliable in a duel. So far my Aeon and Initates are more duel-friendly.

the War Glave worries me a little with the pommel being so large, but since it's MHS compatible I could always swap it out.

I really like the prophecy though, its just so beautiful and has that classic look to it. But for anyone who plans on really beating on the sabers and dueling a lot, I would recommend something a little more minimalistic and practical like the Aeon.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 08:11:08 PM »

Obi, I think you should get a Standard Issue. It sounds right up your alley.

I loved my Aeon, but I don't really miss it now that I have my Standard Ish.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 08:26:25 PM »

If the brass knobs get in the way during your dueling, you could just take them off and use one short headless set screw in the lower position.  An 8-32 x 3/8" headless allen should do the trick.  Then you can put the retainers back on for display.  If you just want them to not loosen, torque them down with some tape-covered pliers. 

The pommel loosening happens on the CE because of the nickle plating.  Unlike other forms of plate, our nickel covers the entire saber, inside and out, which also means the threads are nickel plated, too.  Nickel reduces friction between moving parts, which makes the two surfaces "slippery", so to speak.  This is why it works so well on firearms, but during heavy vibration, the pommel can loosen because of it.  Since it's MHS compatible, you can swap the pommel out, or some teflon tape will tighten it up.

Thanks for the review, and we're glad we could make something you enjoy  Smiley

Obi Daktari
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »

Awesome! I will try out the teflon tape. Thanks Ultra.

And Darth I appeciate you reccomending the Standard Issue. What are some of the differences that make it better than the Aeon?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: