Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Grab Bag Review  (Read 4808 times)
One Winged Angel
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« on: March 15, 2011, 10:50:25 PM »

Ordered my Grab Bag Saber on Monday the 7th, and it just got here a few hours ago. I specified a metal hilt, and I ordered a UltraEdge Heavy Grade (hereafter abbreviated UE-HG) with it as well and left the LED up to the force (though I asked to not get Orange or Silver). After looking at the hilt designs, I've come to the conclusion that I got a Liberator in Consular Green (which is cool cause I saved $25 via the Grab Bag). On to the review proper:

The Liberator is an excellent saber, well suited to both one or two handed use. It runs off 4xAAA batteries (which kinda cut down on the choice of rechargeables, but oh well), and the holes in the emitter look great. The concave section in the center makes a great one handed grip, and there's more than enough space below that for your other hand. The UE-HG is much more dense than I expected it to be, and takes much more force to spin and move around than I expected, though I s'pose I'll grow some Jedi forearm muscles and all will be well.

On to some Saber Pr0n:

Hilt and blade, unlit, lit room

Hilt and blade, lit, lit room

Hilt and blade, separate, unlit, lit room

Hilt and blade, separate, lit, dark room, with flash

Hilt, no blade, lit, dark room, with flash

Hilt and blade, lit, dark room, with flash

Hilt and blade, lit, dark room, no flash

Blade Review:

The UE-HG blade is well lit in a lighted indoor room, but when I took it outside the blade became very washed out and pale, and the color was hardly visible. The UE-HG blade is definitely only for indoor use, or when it's night out. Since this is my first saber, I have no points of comparison between this color/blade combo and other sabers, so forgive me for that. One thing I noticed about the blade is that when I shake it (i.e. change directions fast) I hear a creaking noise and can see points of brighter light along the blade. I don't know what causes this, but it doesn't bother me too much. After whacking it into things around the house, I can assure you that this blade is pretty dang sturdy and you'll have to really try in order to break this blade.

Hilt Review:

As stated above, the Liberator hilt is good whether you use one or two hands. The curved middle portion serves as a great one handed grip, and there's more than enough space to comfortably fit your other hand. It's a nice, plain hilt, elegant in it's simplicity. There are a few scuffs and whatnot (and being a grab bag I sort of expected that) however, these scratches are so fine they're hardly visible and add some classy "battle damage" to the hilt. The Consular Green, while not my absolutely most preferred saber color, looks very nice in person. I think I can learn to love it Tongue.

So that's my review of my Grab Bag version of the Liberator. To sum up, it's a great, solidly built saber, and considering it got to my door for the normal price of the hilt alone, is a great deal. Looking at my Grab Bag saber and other reviews of them, if you're looking for a cheap saber, you can't go wrong.

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 01:53:15 AM »

Wow!  That's a nice-looking saber.  I hope to be so lucky when I order a grab-bag.  Although, what Ultrasaber isn't awesome?

BatteryHound
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -16

Dark Side.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 04:26:05 AM »

Oh, nice! I'm the proud owner of a Blazing Red Liberator V2, and I absolutely love it. Congratulations on getting it as a grab bag, it has excellent balance and it's great for spinning and dueling.

Liberator V2 - Blazing Red.
Dominix LE V3 - Guardian Blue.
Sentinel V4 - Blazing Red.

Mind Slice
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 04:26:51 AM »

Nice, they must have done ours together because I ordered mine that Saturday and got a green liberator too. I got a regular heavy grade blade though and I'm very happy with it. I'll be posting a review for it soon.

Sabers- Green Liberator, Orange Standard Issue (brother)

BatteryHound
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -16

Dark Side.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 04:32:51 AM »

That totally reminds me, my review of my Liberator is way overdue! I got it back at the end of 2010, and I was going to post a review up on the old forums. /sweatdrop

I'll post one up soon, I promise. :B

Liberator V2 - Blazing Red.
Dominix LE V3 - Guardian Blue.
Sentinel V4 - Blazing Red.

One Winged Angel
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 05:38:03 AM »

Wow!  That's a nice-looking saber.
I think that's an understatement good sir Wink

The only "major flaw" I've noticed (on a lightsaber this perfect, any deviance looks like a major flaw lol), and this might be standard with lightsabers, but I have no points of comparison, it looks like when the set screw tightened the blade is crooked a bit, pushed to the side opposite the set screw. If ya look carefully in the photos you can sorta see a slant in the blade. I think I might get two more set screws and tap holes for them 120 degrees apart from the original one. That should (in theory) give me triple the retention and none of the angle. Or, I could find a rubber o-ring that will nest over the blade and into the emitter. Or I can stop being so nitpicky and revel in how awesome this thing is Grin.

On a customization note, I think I'm gonna get some rubber o-rings and put em in the grooves in the hilt, just to throw some contrast onto the hilt. I wonder what the guys in the hardware store will think when I come walking into their store carrying a freaking lightsaber

navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:39:15 PM »

Yeah the blade kink, barely noticeable on my son's LE Initiate with it's 23" blade and small hilt (video review coming soon), is quite apparent here. Not sure if that's because of an issue with your's in particular, US in general, or simply because now that we own one of these things I'm noticing it for the first time.

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 10:50:10 PM »

My Dark Liberator has the blade kink as well. I think it's just more noticeable in the Liberator models.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

One Winged Angel
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:51:40 AM »

Eh, if that's the case, I won't worry about it too much. Though I think I will go ahead and tap 2 new holes for set screws, and probably replace the stock one with one that will sit flush in the hole. Shouldn't be too hard (famous last words).

One Winged Angel
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 02:09:59 AM »

Double post with content!

Finished my customization today. I just some o-rings (1x1/8" ID, 1/16" wall IIRC) and new set screws (8-32 x 3/16").

Photo of the full hilt

Detail of one of the new set screws.

I found the black set screws (and o-rings) at my local Ace. As is, the set screws were a bit too long for the look I wanted, so I held 'em to the grinder and removed ~1/16" of the screw. Then I rounded the tip to make it easier to thread and more like the tip originally was. With the exception that I drilled one of the holes a tad too high, it looks rather nice, and the blade is much straighter to boot!

Darkhorse V
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -56

Darkhorse V | Hunted by Jedi - Hated by Sith

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 03:23:19 AM »

Nice!  I like the black set screws!

Sabers:.
(__=o=_/PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)
(__=o=_\PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)

(__=o=_/BLAZING RED PVC PROPHECY)
((_(((_o((_/ADEGAN SILVER SS STANDARD ISSUE)
(_((((_o(_{---PYRESTONE SS RAVEN w/OBSIDIAN)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: