Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ‘RoboCop’ Set Photos Reveal New Armor  (Read 6648 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: September 17, 2012, 04:06:02 AM »

For director Jose Padiha’s forthcoming reboot of RoboCop it’s been anything but smooth sailing. First it was a divisive piece of very early concept art (see above) that showed an extremely updated version of RoboCop - then it was a scathing “review” of the film’s script, and finally there was talk of director Jose Padiha’s struggles to work with studio MGM. Fans understandably now have doubts about this reboot satisfying their hopes.

However, some choice casting – like Joel Kinnaman as the new Robocop and Michael Keaton as the film’s villain - suggested certain elements of the production were progressing nicely. But as with any reboot of this type, fans tend to reserve first judgment until they see the suit, and are thereby given a better idea as to where the film is headed.

As we said, supposed concept art for the new Robocop armor was previously unveiled (to a mixed reaction) – but it was far from official. Now, a pair of set photos have appeared online that show that the alleged early concept art wasn’t too far off from what might be RoboCop‘s final design.

Check out the RoboCop concept art below, and compare it with the first look photos from the film’s set:

On a pure gut reaction it’s hard not to acknowledge how few details this current suit shares with the Paul Verhoeven-created original. Yes, the spirit is there, but where is the polished silver metal or the thin visor? Instead this suit reveals one of Alex Murphy’s hands has a one-tone color scheme, and a 3/4 visor.

When Kinnaman first talked about the design of the suit he said audiences would be able to see his face and eyes, as indicated by this redesigned helmet. Additionally the actor said RoboCop’s movements would be “less twitchy” and more indicative of how robots might move in the year 2046, something reinforced by the sleek, almost bodysuit-like design of the armor.

That being said, it’s hard to see this version of RoboCop as anything but a guy in a specially designed suit. The armor, while potentially more realistic as far as the film is concerned, bares too many similarities to a Batman or Iron Man suit to ignore. Granted, those films have grossed small fortunes at the box office, so it’s not too surprising to see MGM borrow from their lead.

Fan reaction to the set photos thus far has been pretty mixed – with some praising the natural evolution of the 1987 suit and others acknowledging the obvious copycatting of everything from Mass Effect to G.I. Joe‘s Snake Eyes. Surprisingly, there’s actually more concern over whether or not RoboCop will run in the film than with the look of the suit. When studios reboot a property like RoboCop there’s bound to be some detractors, but the fact that fans aren’t wholly against the redesign is a fairly good sign.

For fans that are crying foul of the design, there is a silver lining: In the RoboCop script – if the one HitFix’s Drew McWeeney got a hold of was indeed the final version – the augmented police officer goes through three different armor versions over the course of the film. Like Jon Favreau did with the first Iron Man, Padiha presumably wants to show the evolution of RoboCop from a base design to the one that will be featured in future films.

If that is still the case, the suit featured in the photos could merely be an early version – one that is “upgraded” just in time for the film’s climax; then again, it could also be that 3.0 version, which means this is the direction the reboot is headed, and more importantly this is the new RoboCop.

It’s also important to note these are set photos and are in no way indicative of how the suit might appear on film. But since this is a major leak we wouldn’t be surprised if MGM unveiled an official RoboCop photo some time soon.

Article source: http://screenrant.com/robocop-2013-set-photos-armor-costume/

Set Picture source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94813

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:11:33 AM »

It kinda looks like a black spray-painted Iron Man suit with a Daft Punk helmet...

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:10:07 AM »

Hmmm interesting.

Light side points please Smiley

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:28:34 AM »

That suit looks like something that came straight out of the mind of a dude that has played way too much City of Heroes, to be honest. It might grow on me though.

I'm just excited for this reboot! I've wanted a reboot of Robocop more than any other classic movie. Granted the movie left me emotionally traumatized for a good few months after my dad let me watch it as a little kid, I still think the Robocop movies were awesome.

Hopefully they don't screw it up.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 09:23:33 AM »

That suit looks like something that came straight out of the mind of a dude that has played way too much City of Heroes, to be honest. It might grow on me though.

I'm just excited for this reboot! I've wanted a reboot of Robocop more than any other classic movie. Granted the movie left me emotionally traumatized for a good few months after my dad let me watch it as a little kid, I still think the Robocop movies were awesome.

Hopefully they don't screw it up.

Oh, and be sure to check this out too:

http://www.omnicorp.com/

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »

Oh, and be sure to check this out too:

http://www.omnicorp.com/

LOVE the new ED-209!

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 12:41:09 PM »

Yeah I'm not sure how to feel.  On one hand, I do love the sleek badass look... but it just doesn't fit with Robocop to me.  I guess the classic movie just has too much of a hold on my mind, so I can't shake the thought of a big and clunky "mighty glacier" style Robocop.  We'll see though!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »

Well It seems the source of the leak got nerfed....

So Let's see if this works.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 04:34:14 PM »

yeah its just not the same

i dunno have to wait till i see the movie to see if it works

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »

They're probably going to tidy it up in post-production anyway, just give it time. Besides, back when the original Robocop was around we had no pre-conceived notion of what a bad-ass robot cop would look like, so we just went with it. Nowadays we can just compare it to Iron Man, Batman, Terminators, and a bunch of other stuff. Another thing to consider is that technology in general was completely different back than. Everything is super stream-lined now, just like the suit.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 07:43:44 PM »

They're probably going to tidy it up in post-production anyway, just give it time. Besides, back when the original Robocop was around we had no pre-conceived notion of what a bad-ass robot cop would look like, so we just went with it. Nowadays we can just compare it to Iron Man, Batman, Terminators, and a bunch of other stuff. Another thing to consider is that technology in general was completely different back than. Everything is super stream-lined now, just like the suit.

Very true.

Another thought I had was this - the suit doesn't really make you think he's a cyborg.  For all you know, he could just be a regular guy (or Tony Stark) under that thing.  It just looks like a suit, whereas the old Robocop design was all awkward and clunky and LOOKED like a robot.  I hope they at least carry over the awkward robotic movement, because I always thought that was a good contrast to the human side the character is constantly trying to reconnect with... made it that much more tragic IMO.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 07:57:28 PM »

Very true.

Another thought I had was this - the suit doesn't really make you think he's a cyborg.  For all you know, he could just be a regular guy (or Tony Stark) under that thing.  It just looks like a suit, whereas the old Robocop design was all awkward and clunky and LOOKED like a robot.  I hope they at least carry over the awkward robotic movement, because I always thought that was a good contrast to the human side the character is constantly trying to reconnect with... made it that much more tragic IMO.

Yeah, they really need to convince everyone that he is a cyborg. As long as they keep the epic showdown from the original movie in there, I'll be happy. I'm talking about ED-209 vs. stairs. So hilarious.  Grin Though the temper tantrum it threw afterwards seemed so human that I felt sorry for the poor mass-murdering machine. How odd.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: