Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: good reads  (Read 10800 times)
SILVERBACK
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -77

i like dark side points and cookies

« on: March 21, 2011, 01:22:58 AM »

i am ashamed to say that i have never read any books about the Star Wars stories.  Cry  can anyone tell me the first book i should start off with in the series or possibly a list of books?

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 01:47:46 AM »

Oh, where to begin...

Rogue Planet is a personal favorite of mine.
Outbound flight,
Thrawn trilogy
Fate of the Jedi series
Force Heretic series

All of those are good.  Oh, and outbound flight is connected with the Thrawn Trilogy.

SILVERBACK
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -77

i like dark side points and cookies

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 01:52:58 AM »

thanks Kaiden Shardsbane, i'll be sure to go to barnes & noble to take a looky-loo. is there a specific book that starts the begining?

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:00 AM »

If you want to start from the beginning Cross Current, as well as the Lost Tribe of the Sith novels take place in the Great Hyperspace War. These novels are set the earliest in the galactic timeline.

Other wise I'd just start with the movie novelizations.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Mind Slice
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 04:14:11 AM »

If you're looking at movie novelizations, Episode III by Matt Stover is really good. I'd also recommend any of the Clone Wars novels.  In addition to the Thrawn trilogy which is supposed to be pretty good, I know a lot of people recommend the Darth Bane trilogy as well.

Sabers- Green Liberator, Orange Standard Issue (brother)

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 06:30:58 AM »

Okay, I got your definitive answer right here. You wanna know which book to read first?

SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE

It takes place between Episodes V and VI, and by all accounts would have been a movie if it had been written ten years earlier. lol It is amazing. You may of course, read it in sequence with the novelized original trilogy if you wish, as those books are all quite good reads in their own right. From there, I recommend reading the X-Wing Series. Break after either book nine or ten (I forget which) to read Courtship of Princess Leia, and then pick up the rest of the series. Courtship is right in that break chronologically, and is also a great read. You may follow that all up with the Thrawn Trilogy, as it is sort of essential and written remarkably well with good character development. Gotta love Mara Jade with the total hatred for Skywalker with his reaction of 'Uhh... what did I DO anyway?' XD

I can of course list a great many more good books for Star Wars, but really, these are the best I've found. Shadows, then the X-Wing series, with Courtship in it's appropriate chronological slot. Then Thrawn Trilogy because it's really just awesome and it has all the best guys in it. Smiley

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Jammo
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 326

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 07:21:39 AM »

Thrawn and Thrawn. Read those first. Anything Zahn writes is solid.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 07:45:06 PM »

I'd also recommend The Jedi Academy Trilogy, by Kevin J. Anderson. It takes place after ROTJ, and follows Luke and his students at the Jedi Praxeum on Yavin 4. In fact I may re-read that pretty soon myself.

(Sig by me!)

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:45:03 PM »

Good set. I have part of it in my collection. Another of my favorite reads. Smiley

I am not a color...

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 09:02:51 PM »

Good set. I have part of it in my collection. Another of my favorite reads. Smiley

Yeah, I have the first and second and I borrowed the third from the library. They're definitely one of my favorite post ROTJ reads.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:53:29 PM by Darth Raze » Logged

(Sig by me!)

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 01:20:06 PM »

I agree with Mind Slice, the Episode III novelization is an excellent read (one of my favorites, and probably even better than the movie itself).  I also really like the New Jedi Order series which takes place years after ROTJ.  It deals with Luke trying to reform the Jedi Order and establish a Jedi Council while dealing with threats all over the galaxy... but I won't spoil it for you, go check it out yourself lol

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 02:49:48 PM »

I liked the third movie novelization too.  I haven't yet had the chance to read the others, but I'm working on it.

navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »

I'd offer a dissenting opinion on the Zahn books: I hated them.

Honestly, I've never really liked any Star Wars fiction come to think of it. But I was hardened into a literature snob getting my Bachelor's. I do like lots of the old background materials, like the "Art of" books for each of the original movies, and the West End RPG Source books. Those books do have rules, but I never cared since I can't stand RPGs. However, they are composed primarily of really solid back story, tech info, little fictional vignettes, blue prints and such. Really, very, cool. "Where's the galley on the Falcon? Oh, right over there." I'm sure plenty of this stuff has been reconnected to fit what ever the new marketing paradigm is the order of the day, but I think they're worth a get regardless. I bet you can find any of these for pennies.

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 05:02:37 PM »

I got like half a dozen of those source books I picked up at library sales. I don't think I paid more than 50 cents a piece for any of them, and those were the hardbound sourcebooks for the Solo Trilogy and the Zahn Trilogy. lol They ARE good reads, though not what is generally considered 'canon' nowadays. XP

I am not a color...

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 07:58:48 PM »

One book I plan on checking out is The Making of the Empire Strikes Back. It's non-fiction obviously but I've heard it's a very worthy read.

(Sig by me!)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: