Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Raven with Obsidian Sound Review  (Read 1569 times)
Darkhorse V
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -56

Darkhorse V | Hunted by Jedi - Hated by Sith

« on: September 27, 2012, 03:31:09 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwsTN_oieao" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwsTN_oieao</a>

Raven with Obsidian Sound Review

I LOVE this saber.  This is my first saber with Obsidian sound and I've really enjoyed messing around with different sound fonts.  Since it's modeled after Starkiller's Sith Stalker lightsaber I have the Starkiller font on it currently.  I have a Pyrestone and a Blazing Red MLS unit for this saber also, but I have Dark Violet Amethyst in it for the video.  It sounds great and the li-ion battery setup lasts a really long time.

As you can see in the video, I ordered the SS edition, but I got a set of normal claws as well and swapped one out.  I really like how you can swap out claws, emitters, and pommels to customize the look of your saber even before the 'real' customization begins.  The Raven is pretty hefty and feels great as a two-handed 'great saber', but it definitely isn't too big or heavy to do some one-handed maneuvers or even wield single handed if needed.

The Raven definitely draws a lot of looks and the detail is incredible.  I know some of the sabers US has come out with since the debut of the Raven are even mroe intricate, but the lines on this saber are fantastic and it leaves NOTHING to be desired.

There are only a couple of small things worth noting on the negative side.  With the SS claws, the blade will flex enough while sparring hard to make contact with them.  This doesn't really cause a problem or tear up the blade, it just feels a little strange and took me a little bit to figure out.  The other issue is something with the circuitry that alters the colors in my MLS units that use more than one LED.  Pyrestone turns out Goldenrod and DVA shows up as a really light blue with just a hint of purple - the exact color of lightning.  This happened soon after a drop the week I got the saber and I decided not to send it in to fix it so that I could keep my 'lightning blade'.  Again, this would have been fixed under warranty, but I decided to keep it the way it is, and I've NEVER heard of this happening to any other Obsidian (or any other) Ultra Saber.

All in all this saber is incredible and is definitely Sith Stalker worthy.

Sabers:.
(__=o=_/PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)
(__=o=_\PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)

(__=o=_/BLAZING RED PVC PROPHECY)
((_(((_o((_/ADEGAN SILVER SS STANDARD ISSUE)
(_((((_o(_{---PYRESTONE SS RAVEN w/OBSIDIAN)

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 04:06:05 AM »

Nice review. I like the idea of the one ss claw.
Loved your dual wield sabers.

Great to know that the ss does touch the blade during combat. I might shy away from that now.

Thanks for sharing.

Keep me as a Grey Jedi Please

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 04:50:28 AM »

Nice sabers. The Raven is the best though. I also like just the one SS claw. Gives the saber a different look. How do the claws hold up in heavy dueling? I think the Raven is going to be my next saber. I want atleast one Sith Obsidian saber. My Jedi Obsidian saber is my Bellicose. =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:36:16 AM »

Whoa, blast from the past there Darkhorse!  You missed it but Wraith came back a little while ago... it's pretty cool seeing the "legacy members" pop in from time to time Wink

Nice Raven man, that "lightning blade" color is pretty awesome.

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:28:59 AM »

Great review!  I was worried the Raven would be too long, but it looks like a good length in there.  It'll probably be my next saber, unless I get antsy and go for a grab bag. lol

Also, i love what you did with those 2 Prophecy's!  The DWG claw looks amazing on them, and the PS color is great.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 03:39:43 PM »

Also, i love what you did with those 2 Prophecy's!  The DWG claw looks amazing on them, and the PS color is great.

Agreed, those things are friggin sweet.  I've wanted a pair of my own ever since he posted his original thread (seems like so long ago!).  Just never got around to picking them up for some reason...

Darkhorse V
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -56

Darkhorse V | Hunted by Jedi - Hated by Sith

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:14:42 PM »

Thanks Nero, I wish I was on here more!  I just ordered another saber to make up a custom double-bladed setup - hopefully it turns out as well as the prophecies.  I'm borrowing from a "Wolverine" claw layout I saw from someone on here.  I'm going to try to be a little more regular on the forum, but with a new house, new wife, and saberforum blocked at work who knows.  Smiley

Sabers:.
(__=o=_/PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)
(__=o=_\PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)

(__=o=_/BLAZING RED PVC PROPHECY)
((_(((_o((_/ADEGAN SILVER SS STANDARD ISSUE)
(_((((_o(_{---PYRESTONE SS RAVEN w/OBSIDIAN)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: