Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: War Glaive (Consular Green)  (Read 6418 times)
Obi Daktari
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« on: March 22, 2011, 02:49:09 AM »

For my friend's birthday, I bought him the War Glaive in Consular Green. His reaction was priceless. This saber, in my opinion, is the best looking saber that UltraSabers offers. I was very surprised when I held this saber, it really does handle like a dream. This is by far my favorite saber. And when I mean by far, BY FAR. The hilt is not only gorgeous, but completely functional and well thought out in its design. Without further a-due, here is the full review of the amazing War Glaive!

The hilt is perfect, and LONG. It has great weight, much heavier (in a good way) than the other hilts I have come across. It's is ideal with a Heavy Grade, because the hilt weight offsets the blade weight, and you are left with a perfectly balanced weapon. The claws are awesome, because they not only protect your hands, but... well... they're claws. Need I say more? The craftsmanship is without flaw, and the layout of the weapon is 100% practical for dueling. The LED is protected in a special case, that I have not seen in the other hilt designs. This makes me feel confident that the LED is safe. The battery pack does have about 2 inches of room to slide up and down, but in a duel this was not even an issue (thank you centrifugal force). If you are worried about that at all, just throw some packing peanuts in there or buy yourself a piece of foam. Note in the pictures below the different angles, the last picture reflects the depth at which the blade rests inside of the saber. It is about 4 inches deep into the hilt, deeper and more solid than most other sabers. There are shots also of the battery pack, which normally sits at the end of the hilt, but I pushed it up so you could see how much room there is. Also the claw/emitter section that unscrews is entirely used to support the blade. It was a nice surprise to see the blade sit so deep into the hilt because that really comes in handy for stability and durability while dueling.

The blade I chose was UltraEdge Heavy Grade. I would NOT get anything other than Heavy Grade blades with this saber, because then you will have a bottom heavy weapon which for dueling is not practical, not to mention you will most likely have a crack in your Mid Grade blade in less than a day (especially if you're into hard dueling). The UltraEdge is as usual, beautiful, bright, and full. I don't think green would look as good with a non-UE blade, and being that the hilt is so full, it gives a nicer look to have a full UltraEdge blade. The length that comes with this saber is 36 inches. Don't go shorter than that! The hilt eats up 5 inches of that length, so you only really see 31 inches of saber anyway. Trust me 36 is the perfect size, not too long, not too short.

Here are some pictures of the hilt compared to the Aeon, Initiate, and Prophecy. The picture at the bottom center is of the 36 inch War Glaive next to the 24 inch Initiate blade. Just thought I would add these in as a comparison.

Last but not least...

The Color. Guardian Green was the color my friend really wanted with this hilt. I was honestly apprehensive about how it would look. I knew from my green Initiate blade that the color would certainly be bright, but I just couldn't picture the War Glaive with that color. However, once seeing it all together, I understand why my friend wanted Green. It looks sick. Period. The thing is overpoweringly bright.

Here are some more pictures of the new and amazing War Glaive! Whether your a collector, or a heavy duelist, this blade is a must have. Once you touch this thing and fight with it a few times, you are not going to want to duel with any other saber! Thanks UltraSabers!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:32:36 PM by Obi Daktari » Logged

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 03:02:08 AM »

Thanks for the in-depth review and we're very glad you're happy with your saber!

Mikkyo of the Sith
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -4

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:32:22 AM »

Nice review. Question, With that Heavygrade blade, where is the balance point from top of the emitter?(not including claw length) And if it's not too much trouble, do you know if the LED sits flush into the lens?

Obi Daktari
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 02:18:24 PM »

The exact balance point was hard to determine because the claws are in the way, but my guess is that the balance is near the very tip of the emitter. On all my other sabers with heavy grade blade attached, the balance point is about two inches out past the hilt on the blade. See my review of the Aeon to get an idea. The War Glaive is much more ideal. The balance is perfect. Once I fought with the War Glaive it was almost painful to have to use my Prophecy again.

The new LED module is sweet! I am so glad US came up with this.  It not only makes swapping out the LED with other ones easy, but it protects the LED inside the hilt. The module rattles a tiny bit when the blade is not attached, but when the blade is in it actually holds the module in place. So to answer your question, yes, the LED sits flush inside, and is protected and secured with the new module system. There is no rattling, everything is in alightment and secure. I have only good things to say about this saber, it is the best one I have come across so far. This saber will be extremely hard for US to top... but if they manage to top it with something better... just... wow.

Amanita
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 06:26:18 AM »

That is freaking nice. I may have to get one of these, I'm thinking arctic blue or SRD.

Caine
Disgraced
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -129

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:48:08 AM »

Very nice review!

Mikkyo of the Sith
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -4

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:48:12 AM »

The new LED module is sweet! I am so glad US came up with this.  It not only makes swapping out the LED with other ones easy, but it protects the LED inside the hilt. The module rattles a tiny bit when the blade is not attached, but when the blade is in it actually holds the module in place. So to answer your question, yes, the LED sits flush inside, and is protected and secured with the new module system. There is no rattling, everything is in alightment and secure. I have only good things to say about this saber, it is the best one I have come across so far. This saber will be extremely hard for US to top... but if they manage to top it with something better... just... wow.

Cool! Good to know. Thanks for the answer. I'll have get a HG for mine too. But as far as the LED goes, I meant the star(part that emits the light that looks like a star shaped computer chip) that's attached to the wires and the clear plastic lens Inside the MLS. (Modular Lighting System) Kinda like a bullet and the powder inside a shell. The bullet being the lens, the powder the LED and the shell the MLS casing. Do Those sit flush inside the module?

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 03:28:13 PM »

Cool! Good to know. Thanks for the answer. I'll have get a HG for mine too. But as far as the LED goes, I meant the star(part that emits the light that looks like a star shaped computer chip) that's attached to the wires and the clear plastic lens Inside the MLS. (Modular Lighting System) Kinda like a bullet and the powder inside a shell. The bullet being the lens, the powder the LED and the shell the MLS casing. Do Those sit flush inside the module?

He would have to take the module apart to answer that question and I'd rather he not do that, so I'll answer for him.  The LED dome inside the module sits flush with the optic (or reflector, depending on what we used).  We invented the screw-on LED heatsink base and it functions in such a manner that everything inside the module is pressed together nice and tight.  After years of field trials, I can testify that it truly is the best system in use today.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »

This is a very nice review. It almost made me go buy a War Glaive, but my wallet protests too loudly.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Obi Daktari
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »

Thanks Ultra! Yeah I have no idea how to take apart the module.

Update: I am going to need some help in regards to the aluminum claws. Two of them were bent during combat. I will post a few pictures soon of what happened. The screw holes weren't stripped, so the hilt isn't damaged, but I need 2 replacement claws. I think US should sell claws individually in the "Parts & Supplies" section, just in case anyone else has this happen to them. My friends and I duel really rough though, so I dont imagine this becomming a common problem. Also the module does rattle a tiny little bit in the hilt, but that for me isn't a big deal.

Side note... getting hit in the head full force by a heavy grade blade flippin hurts worse than getting hit in the knuckles.

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 04:09:28 PM »

Woah... you bent the claws?  They looked sturdier than that to me.  You guys must've really been going at each other.

Obi Daktari
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 04:29:27 PM »

Yeah we were going at each other, but it was sort of a wierd circumstance... I doubt it will happen again. What happened was I stabbed at him and my tip got caught in the claw, and then he yanked away and completely bent the claw sideways. Somehow my blade is still okay in spite of the 100 scratches and nicks it's still bright and beautiful. I'm really pleased with the heavy grade blades. I thought that two heavy grade blades would end up cracking against each other, but they have held up wonderfully so far. The claw thing is unfortunate. If the claws were attached any better it would have broken my blade, so I think in the end, replacement claws will be cheaper than replacement blades. But like I said, this was sort of a freak accident, I doubt it will happen again. If you're worried, just take out the claws when your dueling.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: